Obsessing about big brother: a tsip tradition

6,160 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Deadwood
Rocco S
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://lhb.music.utexas.edu/history/songs/

quote:
From a 1952 letter by Colonel Walter S. Hunnicutt on the history of Texas Fight:

"I wrote 'Texas Fight' in an attempt to counteract the songs and yells of the Texas Aggies, which were not too complimentary to our Student Body and some of which tended to ridicule 'The Eyes of Texas'.
"Long before I entered The University of Texas in 1909 and until about the year 1928 the Aggies had one of the most effective and awe inspiring songs used by any student body any where any time. 'Farmers Fight' at that time was their sacred College song. It was to them what 'The Eyes of Texas' had always been to us. The song was a repetition of the words 'Farmers Fight' sung to the well known bugle call 'Taps' in the same slow tempo as the bugle call is used by the army for lights out at night.
"Returning to Marlin, TX after World War One I resumed my practice of attending most of the Texas foot-ball games, especially those with A. & M. It occurred to me that an effective way to strike back at the Aggies was to write a 'Texas Fight' song in answer to their 'Farmers Fight' using the same bugle call 'Taps' changed to lively march time and having 'Texas' throughout the song instead of 'Farmers'. 'Texas Fight' (Texas Taps) is the result."

Texas Fight, Texas Fight,
And it's goodbye to A&M.
Flashdiaz
AG
I thought that was crafted from an OU song
brad5q
AG
Have they ever had an original thought? Their school song is "I've been working on the railroad" and fight song copied from us.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Have they ever had an original thought? Their school song is "I've been working on the railroad" and fight song copied from us.
No. Except for the rick-rack on the ugly band uniforms. Even Big Bertha wasn't theirs.
ccatag
AG
I'm trying to imagine Farmers Fight sung to the music of taps in Kyle Field.
45-70Ag
AG
WWI vet returns home to marlin.

Geez you'd like to think life would get better after leaving the battlefields of Europe but going back to marlin..............give me the gas attacks instead
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
quote:

Their drum. That's the only original tradition I can think of that they have. And I'm not even sure that one is.
45-70Ag
AG
Jonnypepp1
At the end of WWI, Marlin was a resort town... It had a Hilton hotel before NY. The NY Giants (baseball) did Spring training there. The mineral baths were a huge draw.
Sorry for being defensive... My family (7 generations) is from Marlin.
45-70Ag
AG
It was just a joke, not trying to offend anyone's hometown.

Hell my hometown is a terrible, crime ridden cess-pool with levels of corruption and stupidity that are baffling.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Cisco, Texas had a Hilton Hotel before NY did- but of course that is where Conrad Hilton was from.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:

Their drum. That's the only original tradition I can think of that they have. And I'm not even sure that one is.
quote:
Bertha was created by C.G. Conn, Ltd., for the University of Chicago, and began her long and famous career at the Princeton-Chicago football game on October 23, 1922.

When the University of Chicago dropped varsity football in 1939, Bertha went into storage beneath the University of Chicago stadium, and was subsequently returned to C.G. Conn.

In 1954, Colonel D. Harold Byrd, a long-time benefactor of the Longhorn Band, suggested that the drum be purchased from the University of Chicago and given a new and glorious home in the heart of Texas. Mr. Moton Crockett, former Director of the Longhorn Band, purchased Bertha for $1 and transported the drum from Elkhart, Indiana to Austin, Texas. Mr. Crockett refurbished the drum during the spring and summer of 1955, and presented it to incoming Director of the Longhorn Band, Vincent R. DiNino.
StephenvilleAg77
The Milli Vanilli of the collegiate world.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:

Hell my hometown is a terrible, crime ridden cess-pool with levels of corruption and stupidity that are baffling.

Austin huh?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
The Milli Vanilli of the collegiate world.
I laughed.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Austin huh?

Chicago
TPS_Report
AG
quote:
https://lhb.music.utexas.edu/history/songs/

quote:
From a 1952 letter by Colonel Walter S. Hunnicutt on the history of Texas Fight:

"I wrote 'Texas Fight' in an attempt to counteract the songs and yells of the Texas Aggies, which were not too complimentary to our Student Body and some of which tended to ridicule 'The Eyes of Texas'.
"Long before I entered The University of Texas in 1909 and until about the year 1928 the Aggies had one of the most effective and awe inspiring songs used by any student body any where any time. 'Farmers Fight' at that time was their sacred College song. It was to them what 'The Eyes of Texas' had always been to us. The song was a repetition of the words 'Farmers Fight' sung to the well known bugle call 'Taps' in the same slow tempo as the bugle call is used by the army for lights out at night.
"Returning to Marlin, TX after World War One I resumed my practice of attending most of the Texas foot-ball games, especially those with A. & M. It occurred to me that an effective way to strike back at the Aggies was to write a 'Texas Fight' song in answer to their 'Farmers Fight' using the same bugle call 'Taps' changed to lively march time and having 'Texas' throughout the song instead of 'Farmers'. 'Texas Fight' (Texas Taps) is the result."

Texas Fight, Texas Fight,
And it's goodbye to A&M.

Another gem from that site:

quote:
A Varsity Minstrel Show was scheduled for Wednesday evening, May 12, 1903, in the Hancock Opera House on West Sixth Street, and was packed with music, dances, skits, and even a tumbling act. Proceeds from the show would pay for the University Track team to attend the All-South Track and Field Competition in Atlanta.
For those not familiar with the concept of a minstrel show:

[ol]
  • The minstrel show, or minstrelsy, was a US form of entertainment developed in the 19th century, consisting of comic skits, variety acts, dancing, and music, performed by white people in blackface
  • [/ol]
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    AG
    Do the minstrels ride bicycles? If so, what would you call the bicycles that the minstrels ride?
    JeffHamilton82
    OP is ironic because this board represents people that are obsessed with the Big 12. We joined another conference 4 years ago. Past time to move on and quit talking about the Big 12 EVERYDAY.
    Eric Forman
    AG
    How ever did you find this thread?
    aggiehawg
    AG
    quote:
    OP is ironic because this board represents people that are obsessed with the Big 12. We joined another conference 4 years ago. Past time to move on and quit talking about the Big 12 EVERYDAY.
    Perhaps you should tell the horns that. OU is getting ready to blow their conference up, yet we are all they talk about.

What's wrong with us laughing at them at everyday??
    Rocco S
    Jeff is lost.

Again.
    TPS_Report
    AG
    quote:
    Do the minstrels ride bicycles? If so, what would you call the bicycles that the minstrels ride?
    Huffys?
    StephenvilleAg77
    You'd think someone who is as smart as Jeff thinks he is would spend his time inventing a cure for cancer instead of worrying about OR posting habits.
      You'd think.
      The Collective
      Rick Dalton
      AG
      Jeff is smart?
      The Collective
      AG
      quote:
      Jeff is smart?

Read it again
      yeshellyes
      AG
      quote:
      What's wrong with us laughing at them at everyday??
      THIS!!! Been following A&M since Bear was our coach and I'm loving every foaming-at-the-mouth, back-stabbing, delusional, insane whorn statement. Please God, let the b12 last forever!
      JR_83
      A minstrel cycle......
      The Chicken Ranch
      AG
      ....but their rivalry with OU is much more meaningful and important. They really don't care much about playing A&M. /Dodds.
      CanyonAg77
      AG
      quote:
      Cisco, Texas had a Hilton Hotel before NY did- but of course that is where Conrad Hilton was from.

San Antonio, New Mexico, had the first Hilton Hotel.

Yes, I said New Mexico. Said town is about population 300
      ABATTBQ87
      AG
      The "Hook 'em Horns" Hand Sign

A few days earlier, while in the Texas Union, Clark was talking with classmate Henry "HK" Pitts, who suggested that the hand sign with the index and little fingers extended, looked a bit like a longhorn, and might be fun to do at rallies and football games. The Texas Aggies had their "Gig 'em" thumbs-up sign, inspired while playing the TCU Horned Frogs. With a big Texas vs. TCU game coming up on Saturday, why can't Texas fans have their own hand signal?
      Silent For Too Long
      quote:
      quote:

That's where he was from, but his first hotel was in Cisco. He moved there with the idea to start bank to capitalize on the oil business and ended up getting into the Hotel business instead.
      Aggball2010
      AG
      quote:
      quote:
      quote:

That's where he was from, but his first hotel was in Cisco. He moved there with the idea to start bank to capitalize on the oil business and ended up getting into the Hotel business instead.

Must suck for him not being able to capitalize on that vision (don't know if he ever followed up with any banking ventures).
      CanyonAg77
      AG
      quote:
      Did I say "Conrad" Hilton? His dad, August, ran a hotel and other businesses in San Antonio, NM, which is where Conrad first learned the trade.

Yes, Cisco was the first of Conrad's hotels.

Go to the Owl Bar in San Antonio, NM, and have a green chile cheeseburger. Wonderful.
      Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
      See Subscription Benefits
      Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.