Big 12 Newest Dumbassery: Showing Replays Is Bad

5,171 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ardeth Bey
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

quote:

FollowDavid Ubben@davidubbenPart of the Big 12's new sportsmanship policy: Schools can be subject to penalty if they show controversial replays too much in a venue.
Big 12-0
What constitutes "too much?"
up-n-aTm
AG
quote:
https://twitter.com/davidubben/status/604016871386406912

quote:

FollowDavid Ubben@davidubbenPart of the Big 12's new sportsmanship policy: Schools can be subject to penalty if they show replays that prove most refs are tu homers.

FIFH
schwack schwack
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
awesome! this has tu's grubby little hands all over it.
Madman
AG
quote:
awesome! this has tu's grubby little hands all over it.
First thing I thought.

coolerguy12
AG
There is zero chance that an undefined rule would be misused in the sips favor.
aggiehawg
AG
Sigh.

So glad we are gone, but damn those guys are such idiots in the Big XII. Every league has problems with officials, that's why instant replay was created in the first place.
The Collective
AG
I feel like we already have this rule at Kyle.
91_Aggie
AG
So, essentially this is to protect their inept refs.
schwack schwack
AG
quote:
So, essentially this is to protect tu's intheir pocket refs.

fify
RockInspector
quote:
Exactly...they rarely show replays of plays that are under review and when they do, it is only once.
The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:
Exactly...they rarely show replays of plays that are under review and when they do, it is only once.

Yep, and it's dumb. The goal should be to provide as many amenities as you can get from your couch. The fact that you see multiple replays at home on a controversial play, yet at a game they sit there with a dark screen or rolling ads during an official review is bullsh.
APHIS AG
And people want to renew the series.
carsoca2
I can see how home teams can use it to their advantage. Hell, I was at the Bama game in Kyle a couple years ago when Johnny hit Evans for that 95 yard bomb down the sideline. I don't even remember them replaying it on the Gigatron because Saban would've easily challenged him stepping out because he was definitely close.
Central Committee
AG
Call it the J Taylor rule.
DayAg!
S
The translation from the smallish one is this. If tu is on the wrong end of a fumble recovery it will not be shown. Nor will Taylor and company be in any trouble if they happen to call something that really didnt happen in favor of tu. No, really thats what the rule is about. They are gonna get tu some wins this year no matter how bad they are. So be prepared.

ps: it shouldnt be controversial if they get the replay right. So why the cya rule.
aggiehawg
AG
Might prevent a couple of fights in the parking lot after the game...in Lubbock.
dreyOO
I like how its intentionally an arbitrary standard. Its like creating a rule for "overly mean glares towards the official".
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
I can see how home teams can use it to their advantage. Hell, I was at the Bama game in Kyle a couple years ago when Johnny hit Evans for that 95 yard bomb down the sideline. I don't even remember them replaying it on the Gigatron because Saban would've easily challenged him stepping out because he was definitely close.

1. Saban would have wasted that challenge.
2. You don't need a rule to decide to not show the replay.
mid90
AG
quote:
And people want to renew the series.
staticdoor
AG
Warning shots fired to Iowa St and Okie Lite when they get jobbed again this year
MooreTrucker
AG
IIRC, they had this rule in the SWC.
Kemo Sabe
All the refereeing crews of the big12 are now t.u. Sympathizers. It's called stacking the deck. Not only will the conference dwarves have to beat the sip team they will have to beat the referees, too. Helluva conference they got there. A&M should stay as far away from this bunch as you can get.
Sea Gull
AG
Pretty sure the video crew at Olsen at the infamous tu-Dave yeast game got ejected for showing Dave Yeast blatantly blowing a game winning call on Adam Smith's inside the park homer. This rule has been around for a while it seems.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
What constitutes "too much?"
Any replay shown when a team is playing the sips and the sips are behind and need a first down to continue the drive
DayAg!
S
Like I said... be prepared. They are gonna get the sips some wins this year at all costs. You watch.
DevilD77
AG
I thought it was an NCAA rule that they didn't show replays of plays that were under review until the review had been decided.
Ardeth Bey
AG
quote:
Not only will the conference dwarves have to beat the sip team they will have to beat the referees, too.

That's really not new. Jackie Sherrill mentioned it in an interview a while back.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
And moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.