Rivalries v. Shag: The 12th Man Advocacy Challenge

28,124 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bobbranco
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
It's very simple:

He won't take the bet.

cuppycup
AG
More great detective work from Mr. Duke, using a clipping I posted over there last year and ignoring the content. His reading comprehension is truly unparalleled. From the ad copy:

quote:
When the Aggies line up for the fray on Thanksgiving Day, there will be eleven players in the line and backfield, plenty of reserve on the bench, several coaches on the sidelines-but in the rooting section there will be some 2,000 khaki-clad Cadets, shouting in unison as one man-the Aggie Twelfth Man

Remember when Randolph argued a few days ago that the Twelfth Man was generic and never used as a proper noun in association with A&M prior to 1939?
cuppycup
AG
Randolph also got the year wrong which led to subsequent Bonfire smack talk and bragging about winning the game from another poster. A&M actually won 28-0 in 1925 when this ad ran.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
Randy,

You clearly don't understand how a stipulation of facts is put together. For example, one doesn't ask the other side what evidence they have suggesting fact x in order to establish a fact for a stipulation. That's a question that one asks in discovery...which hilariously you said previously there "was no need for." If you put together a request for admissions, you'd quickly realize that every material fact in this case is in dispute. In order to have a stipulation of facts, both sides have to agree on those stipulated facts. We're not agreeing to stipulate on ANY facts because we believe every material factual contention you've made is false.

As far as responding to your 5 questions, cuppy already did that, so there's no need for me to add to it. And if you dispute his answers...THAT alone should demonstrate to you that we have a dispute as to the facts of the case. Which is what the bet is meant to determine...who can prove their version of those disputed facts. That's the point a "trial" buddy. That's the forum in which each side can put forward their version of the disputed facts and an unbiased third party weighs which party's evidence is more credible.

You said previously that this is a case where summary judgment was a slam dunk. Well, any lawyer knows that judges love to deny summary judgment in cases that appear to be "slam dunks." Putting aside for a minute that no judge would grant SJ in a case where the factual disputes are what they are here (and you only contend that because you're a moron who doesn't know anything about the law), let's pretend you just got a raw deal and the judge denied SJ despite you believing it should have been granted - happens all the time. Well, it should be an absolute cakewalk for you to prove your version of the facts to the fact finder, shouldn't it? If what you say is true, this should be the easiest $5,000 you've ever made, shouldn't it? Well....other than when you were helping Sanford bilk unsuspecting people out of millions of dollars.

The only real question here is if what you say is true...why WOULDN'T you take the bet?

Gee....I wonder.
yeahtoast
AG
This thread sure does a great job of proving our retards are slightly less retarded than Shag's retards.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
Randolph also got the year wrong which led to subsequent Bonfire smack talk and bragging about winning the game from another poster. A&M actually won 28-0 in 1925 when this ad ran.

Duke "Facts" are malleable and contextual. As he props up his strawman he pins on it the "Facts" that suit his argument. He has no wrong facts, because he will switch to a new strawman quickly and the old "facts" are forgotten and a new set of "facts" emerge to support his shiny new strawman.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
This thread sure does a great job of proving our retards are slightly less retarded than Shag's retards.

Thank you! I feel redeemed.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Let's pretend you just got a raw deal and the judge denied SJ despite you believing it should have been granted - happens all the time. Well, it should be an absolute cakewalk for you to prove your version of the facts to the fact finder, shouldn't it? If what you say is true, this should be the easiest $5,000 you've ever made, shouldn't it?
In fact, one of the greatest things in the world is denial of SJ when you know you have a slam dunk. Now you can bill more time AND you know you'll win.

Stop standing up strawmen and just put up the money. It will be the easies $5k you've ever made.
aggiehawg
AG
Mr. Duke, responding to another poster's suggestion:

quote:
Originally Posted by tantric superman
Look, just get an article published in the Texas Bar Journal. I'm sure they'd run it.

They like their fairy tales and they have a bizarre focus of always bringing it back to their alma mater that, I will admit, none of us will ever get.

So treat it like a National Geographic article on the Tasadays. Weird as $#@! and ultimately fraudulent. But nobody really gives a $#@!.

RESPONSE:
I will look into the Bar article. That might be fun. I was told today the Seahawks aren't going to renew their license agreement with the university when it expires next year. Interesting.

From This past February:
quote:
Here's the thing, though: The Seahawks are only allowed to use that moniker for their fans because they licensed use of the term from Texas A&M University, which trademarked it in 1990.

An agreement was made back in 2006 to allow the Seahawks to use the term for $5,000 per year. That agreement lasted until 2011, when it was renewed for another five years, meaning the license expires in 2016.

The Seahawks, obviously, will want to renew that licensing agreement, and Texas A&M told KREM2 they've already begun negotiations to renew, though it may cost more this time around, given how valuable it has become to the Seahawks. Seattle jerseys with the number 12 on them were in the top 15 in sales in the NFL this past season.

LINK

Personal Best
AG
I bet Gill wasn't even made out of bronze in real life.. Stupid ****ing aggieisiesyge
HTownAg98
Don't you have to be a licensed attorney or involved in education to submit an article to the Texas Bar Journal?
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
quote:
Mr. Duke, responding to another poster's suggestion:

quote:
Originally Posted by tantric superman
Look, just get an article published in the Texas Bar Journal. I'm sure they'd run it.

They like their fairy tales and they have a bizarre focus of always bringing it back to their alma mater that, I will admit, none of us will ever get.

So treat it like a National Geographic article on the Tasadays. Weird as $#@! and ultimately fraudulent. But nobody really gives a $#@!.

RESPONSE:
I will look into the Bar article. That might be fun. I was told today the Seahawks aren't going to renew their license agreement with the university when it expires next year. Interesting.

From This past February:
quote:
Here's the thing, though: The Seahawks are only allowed to use that moniker for their fans because they licensed use of the term from Texas A&M University, which trademarked it in 1990.

An agreement was made back in 2006 to allow the Seahawks to use the term for $5,000 per year. That agreement lasted until 2011, when it was renewed for another five years, meaning the license expires in 2016.

The Seahawks, obviously, will want to renew that licensing agreement, and Texas A&M told KREM2 they've already begun negotiations to renew, though it may cost more this time around, given how valuable it has become to the Seahawks. Seattle jerseys with the number 12 on them were in the top 15 in sales in the NFL this past season.

LINK

Maybe the new brass from the Seahawks wants to play hardball with daddy based off randy duke's diatribe.
TheHulkster
AG
Randy is basically a 9/11 Truther.

Same reliance on cherry picked data, confirmation bias, strawmen and outright lying.

At least Alex Jones gets a paycheck from his mindless mouth-breathing followers.
marble rye
AG
I've seen several news outlets start referring to fans as "the Twelves". Might be how they get out of paying for the 12th man anymore. Which is fine. Tired of all the nonsense.
NoneGiven
AG
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/23/7877477/seattle-seahawks-12th-man-trademark-everything

Throwing in the towel? But Randy already won the case for them. Why would they give up now?
Iced-T14
cuppycup
AG
quote:
There were hundreds of schools using the term before the first reference to the **** fans which occurred in 1921, as far as I have seen.
Ok, I'd like to see the hundreds of schools with twelfth man references. Is that how this works or do you just throw out something ridiculous and smell your own farts for a while before shifting the topic?
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:
There were hundreds of schools using the term before the first reference to the **** fans which occurred in 1921, as far as I have seen.
Ok, I'd like to see the hundreds of schools with twelfth man references. Is that how this works or do you just throw out something ridiculous and smell your own farts for a while before shifting the topic?
This claim flies directly in the face of his claim that it was never referenced in our yearbook. Such a commonly used phrase must appear all over the place. All the damn time. Should be easy to find examples.
Madman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
This claim flies directly in the face of his claim that it was never referenced in our yearbook. Such a commonly used phrase must appear all over the place. All the damn time. Should be easy to find examples.
It was 100% ubiquitous ... except at A&M.
goodAg80
AG
Texas sues San Diego High-school

quote:
The University of Texas demanded that Gardner Edgerton High School in Kansas alter its Trailblazer logo, which was similar to the Longhorns' design.

quote:
On Feb. 1, the Mutual team learned that UT had raised another objection to its latest app, specifically to the use of the word "Texas" in the name. "As this name is confusingly similar to the Texas [trademark], UT objects to such use," reads a notice sent to the Apple app store by attorney Wendy Larson. UT's board of regents began trademarking university properties back in 1981. A list of protected trademarks appears on the university Office of Trade mark Licensing Web page; alongside more specific trademarks such as Bevo and Lady Longhorns is, simply, Texas.

I wonder where they got the Longhorn idea from?

and when did they invent the word Texas?
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
quote:
I'll pay $50 to watch
I'll pay $100 to watch.

I like to watch
StephenvilleAg77
quote:
When the Aggies line up for the fray on Thanksgiving Day, there will be eleven players in the line and backfield, plenty of reserve on the bench, several coaches on the sidelines-but in the rooting section there will be some 2,000 khaki-clad Cadets, shouting in unison as one man-the Aggie Twelfth Man

The Bryan Eagle on November 25, 1925. The references to the Twelfth Man in A&M yearbooks from the 1920's. The letter written by the head yell leader from that year. I think we're done here.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
As the spirit of the 12th Man is embraced by the Texas A&M student body, references to the tradition begin appearing around campus, including this formation by the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band.

In 1930.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
quote:
quote:

The Bryan Eagle on November 25, 1925. The references to the Twelfth Man in A&M yearbooks from the 1920's. The letter written by the head yell leader from that year. I think we're done here.
Surely Randy will stipulate to these facts and allow these documents into evidence, correct?

Right, Randy?
Smithjg
quote:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/23/7877477/seattle-seahawks-12th-man-trademark-everything

Throwing in the towel? But Randy already won the case for them. Why would they give up now?

That's what is strange about this whole "12th Man is a fraud" fairytale that Randi keeps pushing. He is "allegedly" an attorney and Texas A&M allegedly committed fraud when making the original trademark application. On the hairy nutless bovine board, he preaches continuously about the fraud and how easy it would be to overturn the trademark and he keeps insisting that it's a slam dunk case. All the while hoping against hope that someone will take the bait and stand up to Texas A&M, whether it be Seattle or some random attorney with lots of time and money To throw away.

He's trying to get someone else to fight our right to the trademark but has done nothing himself except what he calls research and Ags call making sh t up. Hey Randi, if it's such an open and shut case and Texas A&M has committed fraud, why don't you prove this yourself , instead of baiting some other poor dumbass into doing it. Just think of how huge of a hero you would be on the shag if you yourself took the mighty Texas A&M 12th Man down! Put your money where your mouth is b[tch!
Hood
AG
quote:
He's trying to get someone else to fight our right to the trademark but has done nothing himself except what he calls research and Ags call making sh t up. Hey Randi, if it's such an open and shut case and Texas A&M has committed fraud, why don't you prove this yourself , instead of baiting some other poor dumbass into doing it. Just think of how huge of a hero you would be on the shag if you yourself took the mighty Texas A&M 12th Man down! Put your money where your mouth is b[tch!
Therein lies the rub. There's not a practicing attorney out there stupid enough to challenge this on the "evidence" RD has presented. He's 100% bluster. All of his points have been thoroughly refuted by guys using Google.

There's nothing to pursue.
Frankie T
Hood just used Google to simultaneously destroy Randy's argument and post 12 pics of Ms. Ratchford.

Hood
AG
Don't want to derail the thread.

Much.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
As the spirit of the 12th Man is embraced by the Texas A&M student body, references to the tradition begin appearing around campus, including this formation by the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band.

In 1930.

No capitalized The; invalid
Easy 8
I really do look forward to the day that I can open up one of these threads on rivalries and read about RD getting his 'effing skull dented by someone.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Hood just used Google to simultaneously destroy Randy's argument and post 12 pics of Ms. Ratchford.

Texas Tide
AG
My favorite part is that in his response he took the route any party expecting to fail takes...rejecting a jury in favor of a "neutral" arbitrator.

Best case scenario he wins and worst case scenario he can claim after the fact that the arbitrator was biased and the results mean nothing.
cuppycup
AG
The alarming amount of hyperbole in RD's recent posts makes me worry that he has another steak dinner bet with a colleague, probably a Princeton man this time. Everyone act cool and not cultish so he doesn't win another huge bet before pretending to retire his shtick.
Madman
AG
quote:
The alarming amount of hyperbole in RD's recent posts makes me worry that he has another steak dinner bet with a colleague, probably a Princeton man this time. Everyone act cool and not cultish so he doesn't win another huge bet before pretending to retire his shtick.
I have an appointment on Saturday to get a tattoo of Summy petting Rev on the 50 yard line of Kyle, with JFF throwing a TD pass to himself.

Think I should push that appointment back a few weeks?
aggiehawg
AG
Mr. Duke's final assessment:

quote:
I forgot to point out earlier that not only did the ****s consider what Gill did to be insignificant in 1922, it wasn't until the cartoon version of events came about when McQuillen wrote his radio play in 1939 that Gill became significant even to ****s. Let's not forget, what ****s worship today isn't the actual version of events. Gill certainly wasn't the last remaining substitution. The description of events the ****s believe to be significant never really happened.

I mock is the **** pathological need to embellish their school's history to make it seem more significant than it would if the truth were to be told and then celebrate the embellishments as if they confer some sore of moral superiority upon them. It's sad but, at the same time, hilarious. The Gill/12th Man events were insignificant to even ****s until the 1939 embellishments to the tale. Today, the false version is celebrated and ****s congratulate themselves on "being willing to help the team if needed" as if a) they could if they were actually needed (they couldn't, because current NCAA rules prohibit spectators coming onto the field and participating in a game) and b) as if any "assistance" an **** would offer their team is materially different than what any fan or student of other programs wouldn't also offer to their team.

If the ****s were to be honest about the history of their "tradition" it would read something like this:

The Texas A&M 12th Man

The Texas A&M "12th Man" tradition started sometime around 1921 when an unknown individual writing for the school newspaper copied a practice started decades earlier and was being used to describe the fans of hundreds of other teams across the nation. He referred to the Texas A&M fans in the stands as the team's "12th Man."

Although countless individuals had been considered their respective teams' "12th Man," the first individual to be designated as Texas A&M's "12th Man" was Aggie cheerleader E.O. Buck who, in 1925, was designated the "Aggie Twelfth Man" by the manager of the Piggly Wiggly store in Bryan in an ad in the local newspaper. Through the 1920s and 1930s, sportswriters across the country continued to refer to numerous teams' fans as their "12th Man" and Aggie students referred to themselves as the team's "12th Man."

In 1939, a banner year for A&M in which they won the school's one and only national championship in football, A&M Ex-Students Association president E. E. McQuillen was asked to write a radio play about some aspect of the school's football program. He thought back to the Dixie Classic bowl game in 1922 when the Aggies upset a highly regarded Centre College team. In that game, the team suffered four injuries and the coach was concerned about having fewer than ten substitutes available to finish the game. He remembered E. King Gill, a player who had quit the team earlier in the season, was at the game spotting players for a sportswriter. The coach had someone go to the press box and ask Gill if he would come down to the sideline and put on the uniform of one of the injured players so the team would have at least 10 substitutes available. McQuillen thought if he changed the facts of the story it might make an entertaining radio play. McQuillen did change the facts and in the radio play version of events the injuries had been so bad that when he came to the sideline, Gill was the sole substitute and for his doing so, he was carried off the field as the hero of the day. This fictionalized version of events has been accepted as the basis of today's Texas A&M 12th Man "tradition."

After the radio play, Aggie fans began standing during games to signify their willingness to come to also come down from the stands and suit up, if needed. Over time, the "tradition' has changed somewhat. Today, Aggie fans stand to acknowledge their willingness to violate NCAA rules, if necessary, to help their team win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.