Charlie Strong Puff Piece

15,485 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aggiehawg
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There have been articles that are variations on this theme. This one piles it on.

Some tid-bits:

quote:
AUSTIN, Texas So let's talk pressure. Wrap your mind around that nebulous thought, that overused clich so carelessly dropped into any conversation, and reveal the true value, the true sense, of it all.
That was Charlie Strong, an innocent black child growing up in Batesville, Ark., trying to comprehend men with hoods parading down his street. The boy is standing on the curb, scant feet separating him from decades of institutional racism that only those with his skin color can ultimately understand.

quote:
A boy who grew to become a young man, who walked on to play football at tiny Central Arkansas, who wanted to be a college professor but decided to give coaching football a shot. A young man who grew to become an elite assistant coach, who was passed over and over and over for head coaching jobs because those same decades of institutional racism that confidently strolled down the streets of Batesville years earlier were engrained in the hearts and minds of university academia, too.
A coach who nearly gave up on his dream of becoming a head coach, only to get a chance at Louisville and win big, and the next thing you know, he's standing in the posh office that overlooks the gigantic stadium at the University of Texas smack in the middle of the best damn job in all of college football.
"I went down in the stadium and walked across the field and looked around and thought, wow, this is it," Strong said. "I said to myself, you cannot fail, buddy. Too many people are counting on you."
So let's talk pressure. Not the nonsensical concept we so often use as a crutch, but real, honest-to-goodness, core-of-your-soul pressure.
A few months after Strong arrived at Texas, long after the laughable idea of Nick Saban coaching for $100 million over 10 years had whistled through here like the bats blossoming under Congress Avenue Bridge as the burnt orange sun sets in the West, they celebrated the 50-year anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act.

quote:
Why take the Texas job the biggest, baddest, most powerful job in all of college sports with its own television network and enough meddling, deep-pocket boosters (true or not) with the bottom line ideal of winning from Day 1 if not to use it as the fight for the one cause you believe in?
For the first time since he took over at Texas, Strong is sitting in his perfectly placed office, this shining example of everything is bigger in Texas, and opening up about the game and what it means beyond Xs and Os and winning and losing.
How many other Charlie Strongs are out there toiling away in college football? How many other African American men were asked to interview for a job, fly to the university, get off the plane and head to the president's house only to have a friend call and tell him said university had already hired its coach, that he was a token interview.
It's not difficult to draw a line and connect the dots between civil rights and coaching football. The cause isn't as encompassing nor as critical, but every fight is a piece of the struggle.
"That's why I stand on tall shoulders, because of the road so many men and women before me paved," Strong said. "I wouldn't have this opportunity I have now if someone didn't fight the fight they fought. I never got bitter because it keeps you from moving forward. But if I have success here, it's only going to open doors for everyone else."

quote:
This wasn't going to be your typical job interview. Tom Jurich had heard the stories, and knew of Strong's sudden apprehension wait, disdain of the interview process.
There had to be a better way of making this thing work, of making Charlie Strong feel like, for the first time, an interview with Louisville really was an interview.
"I just felt like I had to do something completely different," Jurich says now.
A few years earlier in 2007, after the disaster that was the fake interview at Minnesota (the Gophers hired Tim Brewster, who was fired four years later); after California told then-South Carolina coach Lou Holtz in the early 2000s they were going to hire Strong then didn't, the reality that it might not ever happen began to set in.
"The athletic director at California told me we're going to hire (Strong) tomorrow," Holtz said. "I was so excited for Charlie, and then it didn't happen. You start wondering what in the world is going on here?"
It was then that Strong, after another failed (or is that fake?) interview Vanderbilt, California, Pittsburgh; they all run together at some point told friend John Gutekunst he was done interviewing.
He was tired of the sham, and didn't want to deal with the absurdity of the process. At one point during all of those interviews, it had become clear that many universities weren't comfortable with the idea of Strong's family makeup. His wife Vicki, is white.
Strong downplays that idea now, but says without hesitation, "she doesn't make play calls."
quote:
This is what Jurich was walking into that day in December 2009 when he met with Strong, who was carrying years of disappointment and distrust and still working through all of those emotions. It wasn't just a head-coaching job; for years Strong and many other African American assistant coaches couldn't even get coordinator jobs.
Even today, there are only seven African American head coaches among the 65 Power 5 conferences jobs (including Notre Dame), a pitiful breakdown of about 10 percent: Strong, James Franklin (Penn State), Darrell Hazell (Purdue), Mike London (Virginia), Derek Mason (Vanderbilt), David Shaw (Stanford) and Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).
So Jurich decided to do the unconventional.
"The first thing I did was offer him the job," Jurich said. "He said I accept and we shook hands, and then I said, great, now let's interview. He was tired of being used; you could see it in his face. After I offered the job, it was the best interview I've had."
quote:
Then why leave? Why leave a program with so much sweat equity invested, a program that pays you well, for the meatgrinder that is Texas?
Because he had to. The job, the purpose, is bigger than anything that could have convinced him to stay at Louisville.
This isn't just about Charlie Strong, it's about every other young African American assistant coach looking for his big break. That's what made the end of last season so poignant.
When it finally hit rock bottom, when the Longhorns were dragging off the field after getting whipped by former Southwest Conference rival Arkansas in the Texas Bowl, Strong knew he had this team. It had finally turned.
"That was an embarrassment," Strong said. "After that, guys started to realize we have to listen. We have to buy in. That's the only way we're going to change."
But wait there is more

He's on a mission from God.
Sandman98
AG
The soft bigotry of low expectations.
BESCo91
AG
quote:
The soft bigotry of low expectations.
Roadhouse
AG
Chollie outfoxed us all. 59 yards was apparently his plan to win over the team the entire time. Who cares who called the plays so long as you can throw young players under the bus to win them over?
Stinky T
AG
quote:
she doesn't make play calls.
Nope can't do. Too easy
longhornhere55
quote:
Translation:

Does not fit the aggie Chollie / Scatman Propaganda.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:
Translation:

That's rich. We are the propagandists??

Did you read the whole article?? I didn't post the whole thing. That's a love letter to Strong, but not propaganda??

LOL, Okay sip.
elfurioso92
AG
quote:
Then why leave? Why leave a program with so much sweat equity invested, a program that pays you well, for the meatgrinder that is Texas? Because he had to. The job, the purpose, is bigger than anything that could have convinced him to stay at Louisville.
This isn't just about Charlie Strong, it's about every other young African American assistant coach looking for his big break. That's what made the end of last season so poignant.
So regardless of how bad the on field performance is Charlie has already won simply by overcoming such incredible odds. He now sits atop the Mt Olympus of football an inspiration to all of mankind.

No chance that he didn't get those other jobs because he didn't interview well, had to be racism and only the University of Texas was bold enough to overlook race and hire him.

This guy has the sip goaltenders working overtime.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
Strong knew he had this team. It had finally turned.
Charlie may be able to out-Fran Franchione. This is going to be really fun to watch.
Tom Doniphon
You're likely the dumbest sumb-tch that's ever posted here... that takes work. Congrats.
aggiehawg
AG
Another tid-bit:

quote:
So let's talk pressure. You're replacing a legend in the state of Texas, a successful, smooth-talking tall glass of iced tea and a sweetheart of a man.

Mack Brown won 158 games and a national title in 16 seasons at Texas, and next to the late Darrell Royal, there is no more beloved figure in Austin. Or, as Strong so matter-of-factly puts it:
"He sat in that big chair for 16 years. Sixteen years!"

If carrying the weight of all those hard-working, more-than-deserving African American coaches isn't burden enough, go ahead and follow the guy who brought Texas back from the lost decade of David McWilliams and John Mackovic to demanding and expecting championships again.

How in the world could Strong have known what he was getting into when he entered his first press conference at Texas? He turned the corner and saw more than 100 media members and 30 television cameras crammed into the media room awaiting his every word.
"I thought holy cow, you've got to be kidding me," Strong said.
The posters at the shag would be surprised to hear this.
mulch
AG
The fact that a breathing human sat down and typed this out makes me sad to share chromosomes.

Wow
Paradise Ag
AG
Something, something, I just went 6-7 with a team loaded with 4* and 5* talent, something, something, I'm not flattered I deserved it, something, something, can't fail the big shoulders, something, something, turned the corner to success, something, something, we're Texas.

Give that man an extension 'cause you damn sure can't fire him now with a story like that.
Bottlehead90
AG
I can't wait to hear the talking points repeated verbatim by their mindless sheep

Yell them from the rooftops
AgOutsideAustin
AG
lhhere55 I want to personally thank your coach, Mr. Charlie Strong for breaking down the racist barrier he had earlier encountered at Vanderbilt University. His work has allowed the prestigious university to see their transgressions as they have hired Derek Mason. Derek is African American. Derek's wife is Leighanne. Leighanne is white.
WestAustinAg
AG
MSN has sunk to a new low...wow.

Obama doesn't get media puffery as good as that...Bruce Jenner wishes he had such fawning love...Putin can't get his news agencies to dedicate so many words to his bios...
Nuke_Ag05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Translation:

That's rich. We are the propagandists??

Did you read the whole article?? I didn't post the whole thing. That's a love letter to Strong, but not propaganda??

LOL, Okay bearcat/t-shirt sip.
FIFY
StephenvilleAg77
What Mack said in 2001: http://business.highbeam.com/434553/article-1g1-76865254/eyes-nation-upon-texas-horns-find-themselves-hooked Poor old Mack Brown. His b.s. keeps getting bigger.
aggiehawg
AG
For a contrast, here's an in-depth interview with Sumlin from 2012, before the Florida game and Johnny's debut.

LINK
AGC
AG
quote:
"I went down in the stadium and walked across the field and looked around and thought, wow, this is it," Strong said. "I said to myself, you cannot fail, buddy. Too many people are counting on you."

Unfortunately, when asked who was counting on him he couldn't remember.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:

LOL.
The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:

They'll make a movie about him conquering North Texas.
bay fan
S
Who actually wrote those words? A journalist? You must be kidding.

Here I am thinking of all the people in the world hoping to have food and shelter for their families felt unbearable pressure! How could I not realize real pressure was getting a head coaching job? I guess it's too much to ask that people stop and think before they type!
FrickinFracker
AG
TIL that Charlie Strong is the first African American to EVER become a head coach. Who knew? What are the odds?! What a brave new world it is that we live in!
88jrt06
AG
quote:

"Then we lost 5 by 20-plus, and I said, buddy, not only can you fail....they can't fire you. I feeled much less stressful."
FL_Ag1998
AG
So in other words, tu knows they're going to suck this year so they had to float out these feel good stories about Charlie Strong to distract people from the crap on the field.

Does this dumbass writer realize that one of these so called racist institutions that turned down Charlie Strong because he's black subsequently hired two black coaches (Vandy)?

And really, Strong wanted to be a college professor? I had an organic chem professor straight from China who was easier to understand than Charlie.

Are Sporting News writers this hard up for work that they will literally suck the you know what of the people they profile just to get hits?
StephenvilleAg77
There's enormous pressure on every P5 head football coach. Who has the tougher task, the head coaches at Vandy and KU, or the sip coach?
schwack schwack
AG
quote:
Give that man an extension 'cause you damn sure can't fire him now with a story like that.

No sheet.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
"That's why I stand on tall shoulders, because of the road so many men and women before me paved," Strong said."

WTF is standing on tall shoulders?

And does this article never mention Kevin Sumlin running a program 100 miles away in a tougher conference where expectations are higher? It's unbelievable how the media sucks tu's dick.
aggiehawg
AG
Can't resist, another tid-bit for those who haven't read the entire article:

quote:
"The one thing about Texas, the good and the bad, is it's a lightning rod," Brown said. "When I asked Coach Royal the best thing about coaching at Texas, he said 27 million people care about what you do every day of your life. I asked the worst thing about Texas, he said 27 million people care about what you do every day of your life."

<snip>

The man who arrived stating he wanted to put the "T" back in Texas; who did what new coaches never do and declared the previous coach left the program in great shape; who put a target on his own back by eliminating any wiggle room in the desire and determination to win it all, knows a thing or two about pressure. Only not the way everyone thinks.
First off, Royal might have said something similar, but he sure as hell didn't say "27 million" as the population of the state of Texas in 1998 when Mack got there.

Can someone find a Strong quote where he said Mack Brown left him a team full of talented and good players?? While he was kicking off 9 players from Mack's 8-5 team?????
StephenvilleAg77
aggiehawg: Thanks for posting that link to a 2013 interview with Coach Sumlin. I had never seen it before. Awesome stuff. Too bad he didn't mention that he started at inside linebacker for 4 years in the BigTen. It is hilarious to hear the sips claim "Sumlin doesn't care about defense".
88jrt06
AG
.....and Summy's from Mississipi....which trumps even Arkansas....
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
So many fat, snaggle-toothed dumbass dip****s are "counting on you" Charlie. Because what you do - coaching a college football team - is SO important.

Give me a ****ing break. These puff pieces are so ridiculous. They claim he "never gave himself wiggle room" and "painted a target on his own back" when in reality, all he's done is make excuses ever since he arrived. Pretty soon, the fanbase will turn on him, and part of the mantra will be that he "just didn't understand how big the job really was." Again, what a bunch of manufactured bull****? A big job? How about a job where the team plays in front of 100K + nearly EVERY week in the toughest conference in America? Where the fans actually ARE passionate? Texas fans telling themselves how "big" the Texas job is seem to fail to realize that there are 15 -20 other programs that play tougher schedules in more difficult venues every week than they do...and the expectations are JUST as high, if not higher.
Busdriver99
AG
But if the media/tu suckfest is an enabler for low expectations, then it's not a bad thing. It would be great if everyone were pleased with a poor season and a blowout loss to Arkansas again
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
.....and Summy's from Mississipi....which trumps even Arkansas....
Sumlin was born in Alabama.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.