AAS: "Bohl's: Is Texas-Baylor Becoming the New Texas-Texas A&M Rivalry?"

11,545 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Rocky Rider
Charlie 31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bohls: Is Texas-Baylor becoming the new Texas-Texas A&M rivalry?

March 3, 2015

In the middle of as intense a basketball game as there's been at the Erwin Center all season, Monday night's crowd was treated to a wild, finger-pointing, manhood-challenging standoff.

And that was just Rick Barnes' dust-up with star point guard Isaiah Taylor over his defensive deficiencies.

Taylor was also involved in the main event, a heated late-game scrum between Texas and Baylor players that began as a scuffle over a loose ball and quickly escalated.You know, like a real live I-hate-you, you-hate-me old-fashioned rivalry.

It was a potentially nasty scene that lacked only some specific choreography courtesy of James Harden. It was clearly enhanced by the significance of the victory, which was pivotal to the Longhorns' postseason chances and Barnes' job security.No punches were thrown. The benches emptied and then just as quickly thinned as seven players from the two teams were ordered off the court.

Ejections, hot tempers, machismo magic. Heck, at game's end after the perfunctory handshakes, Baylor's grown man Rico Gathers was seen jawing with Texas' 6-foot-11 Myles Turner, and Taurean Prince and Jon Holmes were seen angrily gesturing at each other, probably not about field trips to the Alamo when both were San Antonio schoolboys.Like a real rivalry. More than a scrap. Less than a melee. But definitely a reminder that Texas-Baylor might be shaping up as the state's premier blood-feud rivalry. I kid you not.

And on that issue, I say this to Longhorns and Bears everywhere: Embrace it.Feed it. Water it. Nurture it. Promote it. Embellish it. Take it and run with it. Hell, give it a slogan like, say, One True Rivalry.

OK, maybe not that, but something colorful and catchy.Texas' players were a little reluctant to jump aboard.

"If you want to call it a rivalry, you can," Texas guard Demarcus Holland said. "But we don't like anybody we play against."

Added guard Javan Felix, "Every team we play, they're not our friends."But Texas' biggest rivalry?
"I'd probably say Oklahoma," Felix said. "It's the whole school's rivalry."OK, so they're not biting.

How would Felix know? He's from Louisiana.

Scott Drew was more accommodating."I think it's healthy for the state when you've got a rivalry," the Baylor coach told me. "And it's great when you have such outstanding in-state talent like we do and tell them they can play in meaningful games. It brings out the best in players."And that's good for the league.

"Sure, it helps the Big 12," Drew said. "Otherwise, everybody's talking about the SEC."

And here's another suggestion. Make Texas-Baylor the annual Thanksgiving football game. Texas Tech and TCU have brought very little buzz to Austin on that date.Texas athletic director Steve Patterson said the school has had no discussions with the Bears about the possibility.

His Baylor counterpart, Ian McCaw, said, "Baylor and Texas have two of the top athletics programs in the nation, and we are located just 100 miles apart, so it makes for an exciting, natural rivalry. The fans of the two schools are the beneficiaries as there has been some outstanding competition between Baylor and Texas across a number of different sports during the last several years."

McCaw still prefers Baylor's series with Texas Tech at AT&T Stadium on Thanksgiving weekend and loves the fact that the Texas-Baylor game in 2015 will be on the final Saturday of the season again. So that's progress, making it the critical curtain-closer.

Emotions have run high between the schools' fan bases for years, as have ugly accusations. Baylor doesn't schedule anybody in football. Texas can't beat anybody. Baylor's got nasty fans. Texas' are worse.Sure, Longhorn Nation will wrinkle up its collective nose and snort, "Baylor, a big rival?"

Yeah, Baylor.The Baylor that's kicked Texas' butt in football four of the last five seasons. The Baylor that's won nine of the last 15 over the Longhorns (after dropping 24 straight). The Baylor that owns the state in women's basketball and leather pants.Texas-Baylor is hot because Texas used to own the state and now doesn't even sublet it (except in baseball and swimming) and Baylor's piling up trophies so fast it now orders trophy cases in bulk.Baylor's good.

Texas was good and to be good again will have to go through Baylor.If memory serves, the Longhorns used to have another fairly hot rivalry. I forget the name of that school, but that school left for another conference and took decades of hatred with it. Baylor could replace it.

Heck, we could even bring back Steve Edmond for the coin toss.
APHIS AG
How pathetic that a multimillion dollar athletic program would even considered a "rival" a school that barely seats a 45,000 stadium with half the budget.

How the mighty have fallen!!!
MikeRoEconomist
redd38
AG
Texas/Baylor is too lopsided to be a good rivalry. Maybe in a few years Texas will catch up.
PCC_80
AG
If you think sips and Bayrol hate each other now just wait until they sue each other.
StephenvilleAg77
Probably not a smart idea for bohls to worry about rivalries when his sip football and mbb teams can't finish higher than 7th or 8th place in the b12 conference.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Baylor has replaced us as the sips' 2nd place rival behind their real rival OU... how will I find meaning in my life now?!
tbirdspur2010
AG
Does this mean the stalker sips can finally stop being so clingy?
Kemo Sabe
Good I thought they would never find each other. it sets up perfectly. Every October when the sips head to Dallas to get their Aholes reemed by okie they get to drive by mcclane and see the site of their year end corn holing by the Bears. It has to grate on the sips that baylor plays a bunch of nobodies in non conference but is healthy and ready to go when the sips come to town. The Bears benefit from the Okies and sips sticking their necks out in non conference.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Does this mean the Bears will soon receive the coveted opportunity to play in Austin every Thanksgiving?
d78230
AG
I think a dreaded and feared Baylol-sip rivalry is perfect.

Get all the sip lurkers off our board and onto the furry bear site instead.
FILO505
AG
quote:
"Sure, it helps the Big 12," Drew said. "Otherwise, everybody's talking about the SEC."

Nice to know we're in your head, even in basketball, you effin clowns.
Ft Worth Ag
AG
When should I expect a similar article about Texas Tech and TCU?
Ft Worth Ag
AG
With all of these rivalries blossoming, how will Texas ever abandon the children in a few years?
coolerguy12
AG
It sets up perfect for texas to use all time record against them during a down turn. Stupid old baylor will have nothing to say till they win about 80 more games (which at this rate could happen this century)
Coppell97
AG
JAD AG85
AG
I smell Baylol probation in the future air!!! If sips can't beat you, they will uncover and accuse of wrongdoings through their cohorts and plants in the willing media - cough - cough - DMN - cough. Mark my words. Can you say "Jackie Sherrill"???
TXAGBQ76
AG
So all it takes is a little pillow fight and some guts yelling "you big Ole meanie" to start a rivalry? Seems like the bar has been set pretty low to me....
ccatag
AG
I support this rivalry!
Spyderman
AG
quote:

Aggieland Outfitters should jump on this...
Muy
AG
This is all working out so beautifully.
PJYoung
AG
quote:

It's amazing how often they bring up the SEC. I don't think SEC people ever talk about the Big 12. Ever.
dmart90
AG
So, I'm assuming tu lost to Baylol AGAIN?
PJYoung
AG

quote:
His Baylor counterpart, Ian McCaw, said, "Baylor and Texas have two of the top athletics programs in the nation, and we are located just 100 miles apart, so it makes for an exciting, natural rivalry.
Wildmen03
AG
quote:
give it a slogan like, say, One True Rivalry.

Juicy
AG
quote:
"Otherwise, everybody's talking about the SEC."
elfurioso92
AG
quote:
Baylor's piling up trophies so fast it now orders trophy cases in bulk.
Maybe Tceh can lease out some of their empty space to Baylor for all these participation ribbons.
Wildmen03
AG
tech cases are too filled up with "Good Loss" trophies.
MallalieuAg
AG
gaylor-whorn "One True Rivalry"
aggiehawg
AG
Bless their little hearts, how cute.

I knew little Stevie and little Ian would become besties in the new Big XII sandbox, eventually.
StephenvilleAg77
Nothing says "traditional rivalry" quite like alternating between tech and tcu on tday.
StephenvilleAg77
quote:
Nothing says "traditional rivalry" quite like alternating between tech and tcu on tday....unless it's adding baylor to the rotation.
elfurioso92
AG
quote:
tech cases are too filled up with "Good Loss" trophies.
Ah yes, I forgot about the "near wins".
Biz Ag
AG
quote:
Pssssst, Scott - everyone is still talking about the SEC.

hth
Yosarrian
AG
Orange Baylor vs. Green Baylor. Winner gets to be the Baylor.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.