Sip on the Shag gets it.

26,985 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by nu awlins ag
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Every other big time rivals play each other, why shouldn't A&M and tu?
Pitt and WVU?

Pitt and PSU?

Big time rival sans Michigan-ND. No one gives two ****s about Pitt or WVU.
cone
AG
quote:
No one gives two ****s about Pitt or WVU.
pretty sure no one in PA gives a **** about A&M v. Texas
MROD92
quote:
No one gives two ****s about Pitt or WVU.pretty sure no one in PA gives a **** about A&M v. Texas

Correct, I was so jaded thinking the nation cared about this rivalry like I did, being in the SEC and seeing our ratings and national brand emerge made me see the light.
cone
AG
quote:
Please explain how scheduling a high profile rival every year is a "bad business decision?"
can A&M make the playoff without such a high profile OOC rival, simply by winning the conference?

and would it be directionally more difficult to reach a current playoff berth with a high profile OOC loss? 2014 Ohio State, for instance.

it won't make sense to buff your OOC schedule until a) a top 2 SEC team gets penalized for it when it comes time to finalize the bracket, b) the playoff expands to 8 teams, and/or c) the Power 5 conferences begin to mandate a certain number of Power 5 OOC matchups annually

FTR i predict we go back to playing Texas when the current playoff TV deal runs out and we go to 8 teams
tommeehawk7
I was drinking beer with "Chollie" Strong and he said he wants a piece of you guys and he wants it bad. apparently all of the smack has got ol' Chuck ready to go.
Teslag
AG
Does a mouthful of Sumlin's dick on the recruiting trail count as a piece of us? If so, Chuck should have all he wants and more.
Hamburger Dan
tommeehawk72:42p
I was drinking beer with "Chollie" Strong and he said he wants a piece of you guys and he wants it bad. apparently all of the smack has got ol' Chuck ready to go.

I call BS on this, Chuck looks more like a wine cooler kind of a guy.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
quote:
Please explain how scheduling a high profile rival every year is a "bad business decision?"
can A&M make the playoff without such a high profile OOC rival, simply by winning the conference?

and would it be directionally more difficult to reach a current playoff berth with a high profile OOC loss? 2014 Ohio State, for instance.

it won't make sense to buff your OOC schedule until a) a top 2 SEC team gets penalized for it when it comes time to finalize the bracket, b) the playoff expands to 8 teams, and/or c) the Power 5 conferences begin to mandate a certain number of Power 5 OOC matchups annually

FTR i predict we go back to playing Texas when the current playoff TV deal runs out and we go to 8 teams

So why does Florida play Florida State? Why does Georgia play Georgia Tech? Etc. They are rivalries. They don't shy away from each other. You think Florida State has anything to gain by playing Florida right now? This is what football has gotten away from. We're too worried about hypothetical situations such as tu might blow our chance at a playoff berth than scheduling good match ups.

But I see your point of view, and as a fan, I want to see A&M play somebody worth a damn. Not Lamar. Not SMU. Not Rice. I think most fans are like that, hence why I made the fan comment. They don't want to see Auburn play Samford. Or Arkansas play Tech. They want the big match ups. And this match up would be great for the state.

And I also agree that I don't think those discussions will even begin to rise until they increase to an 8 team playoff. And as far as the "tu needs us on the OOC schedule." I don't believe this for one minute. You can guarantee a 0 or 1 loss tu team would be up there in the discussion for a playoff birth...in fact, much more than TCU or Baylor. I just don't agree with the reasoning of not scheduling a big name because you don't want it to blow the playoff chances. It's kind of counter intuitive of a championship season.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
And as far as the "tu needs us on the OOC schedule." I don't believe this for one minute.
Their season ticket sales disagree with you.
Decay
AG
I loved that game and seeing it go was heartbreaking. But it's not time to play them again. I don't know when, exactly, but it's clearly not time. We can get matched up in bowl games, fine. But every time I see a post about how "A&M is afraid of Texas" and it squirms its way onto a newspaper page, it just proves that we're still playing against a stacked deck.

You don't participate in a bad deal, especially when you're debating between your heart and your head. This is something that will eventually happen, but I think key players might have to die off first. Dodd's influence is all over their AD.
cone
AG
quote:
You think Florida State has anything to gain by playing Florida right now?
no. and same applies for the reverse.

and that game would absolutely hurt Florida if the SEC ever went to a 9 game conference schedule
cone
AG
quote:
I want to see A&M play somebody worth a damn
so the SEC west schedule isn't good enough for you

i'd be more sympathetic to your POV if we were still stuck in the B12, having to face the likes of Kansas and Iowa State and Okie State

but our division schedule is just name after name after name
cone
AG
quote:
I just don't agree with the reasoning of not scheduling a big name because you don't want it to blow the playoff chances. It's kind of counter intuitive of a championship season.
then A&M should play Texas, ND, a Pac-12 team, and a Big 10 team every year in non-conference

who cares if you go 2-2 in that stretch? if you didn't win them all, you didn't deserve to play for a title.

i mean, that sort of purity test gets its own asterisk in the record books
cone
AG
quote:
it just proves that we're still playing against a stacked deck
just don't get drawn offsides
Decay
AG
quote:
quote:
it just proves that we're still playing against a stacked deck
just don't get drawn offsides
I'd argue that by supporting playing them, you're being drawn offsides.
The Collective
AG
We are going to start playing a P5 OOC game. We don't need them, because we don't have a ****ty conference schedule. That's the ****ing difference.
Muy
AG
There's an off the field game being played as well, and right now we're winning that game and crippling their will. I like this game right now.
permabull
AG
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:

That post is gay as ****
Dr. Abbott, DDS
And give it up, dick patrol.
RoadGunner
quote:
quote:
And as far as the "tu needs us on the OOC schedule." I don't believe this for one minute.

Texas' decline in season ticket sales has absoulely nothing, zero, nada to do with the home schedule and everything to do with the results on the field the last 4-5 years. The 2000-2009 home schedules weren't all that differnet than they are now... to some degree they were worse, yet those season tickets were sold out in a flash.

Start winning consistently and you'll sell out season tickets no matter what the home schedule looks like.

Winning drives fan enthusiasm (ticket sales), not opponents.
Waffledynamics
AG
**** all of you who say we never should play them again. That's a Thanksgiving and a Texas tradition. Skulldrag them for 60 gametime minutes.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Texas' decline in season ticket sales has absoulely nothing, zero, nada to do with the home schedule and everything to do with the results on the field the last 4-5 years. The 2000-2009 home schedules weren't all that differnet than they are now... to some degree they were worse, yet those season tickets were sold out in a flash.

Start winning consistently and you'll sell out season tickets no matter what the home schedule looks like.

What is your marque home game this year?
RoadGunner
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What is your marque home game this year?

This year? We played 6th ranked Baylor couple months ago and we play 5th ranked TCU day after tomorrow. Pick your poison.
MROD92
Baylor AND TCU?!?? That's big boy football, good luck with that
RoadGunner
quote:
Baylor AND TCU?!?? That's big boy football, good luck with that

the pollsters and the playoff committee seem to think so
MROD92
As do people working in Dairy Queen upon Oregon
MROD92
And all 3 tv viewers
Chips2003
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You must not read OB, even those idiots regularly lament your crappy home schedule.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
I missed the tu game in '12 and less so in '13.

This year, personally, I'm getting amped up for LSU. How the hell CAN'T you get your sports-hate up for LSU? Frankly, if nothing changes in sure in about 5-10 years, this can become about 93% as hated a rival that tu was to me.

Although, if LSU is unable to cheat institutionally, then they'll never reach tu level hatred.
cone
AG
quote:
that's bullsh

schedule is critical in the long term
Sea Gull
AG
Just say you're too scared to play them Dave. That's the vibe I'm getting from you. And yes, I think the norm should be 2-3 P5 opponents and maybe 2 cupcakes. Your reasoning is the same as Baylors. Can't believe you are scared to play the big teams. Maybe that's part of this "battered Aggie syndrome" mindset. Glad we have at least ASU, UCLA, ND, and Clemson on the upcoming schedules.

Muy, I hate this damn "off the field" dominating stuff. This is a football game. Let's beat those sorry sips every year so people can see it. tu will always get massive amounts of publicity.
cone
AG
quote:
This year, personally, I'm getting amped up for LSU.
i already hate Arkansas more than i ever did Tech

really really don't like Auburn under Malzahn either

by year five, the honeymoon will be pretty much over
RoadGunner
quote:
quote:
that's bullsh

schedule is critical in the long term

No, it isn't. I already provided examples
cone
AG
quote:
Just say you're too scared to play them Dave.
hahahahahahaha

you've got a real small peen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.