Sip on the Shag gets it.

26,984 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by nu awlins ag
Tom Kazansky 2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
This $#@! is so stupid. I want that game back, you don't, we disagree, and OU sucks. That's whatever.

But to act like A&M wasn't a rival is like saying the sky is green. They're the only team in our fight song, we've played them more than any other team, and that game was always rowdy as hell. It wasn't just a rivalry, it was one of THE great traditional rivalries. It was a tradition older than burnt orange, older than Bevo, older than our team being called the Longhorns. Much like the announcers in the OP's video, I mourn the loss of a great Texas tradition. Not just Texas the school, Texas the state. That was something that belonged to all of us: players, students, alums, and just plain people who lived in this crazy state of ours. It was our birthright and it got thrown away over a few million dollars and a bunch of big egos. A $#@!ing tragedy, no matter who is to blame.

Thanksgiving just is not the same without the hatred and the broken aggy dreams.

I miss the game too.

Before I get flamed for this, one of the earliest memories of myself as a child was watching the Thanksgiving game with my dad and Grandfather [class of '43 graduated and commissioned early to fight the nazis, and class of '83 also Corps of Cadets D&C in M1 studied to become a vet.]

I was 9 and was outside raking leaves in the front yard and could hear my dad upstairs in the house cussing obscenities and yelling YEAH GIG EM AGSSSS!!! he told me I could stop raking if I wanted to watch the game with the rest of the family. My brother and I obliged and watched it. That was the bonfire game. I remember we recorded that game and I think I rewatched that game every night till Christmas that year. To this day for some reason I still have random dreams hearing Dave South say "Hodges Mitchell" because he said it like 40 times that game (that may have been the only t sip player he actually knew the name of). That was the day I decided I wanted to play quarterback for Texas A&M someday. My high school football career got cut short, but I still marched on that field on Thanksgiving day in 2009 with B-2 and I still remember that cold night being one of the happiest memories of my life--even though we lost.

I was in Kyle right next to the t sip band in 2007 too. As well as in 2011 as a junior when we blew it against derp mccoy.

I still banter with my t sip friends I have met throughout the years, and it's still fun. I know we are better off now, but I still miss it. If we were to bring it back as an OOC matchup, I would be all for it... give it a few years though.

The sip nails it in his rambling, and I couldn't agree more.

Anyway. GIG EM AGS! btho LSU and **** those ***** ass t sips.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
Maybe you and him could get together and makeout
switzerland
I want to start the season on labor day against y'all. Great build up all summer and the first game of the year with some national interest.
Bobcat06
AG
Their schedule is lousy, so they need the game.

We do not.

We should resume the series, with the following conditions:
1. All games will be played at Kyle Field
2. SEC Refs
3. Equal distribution of PUF (which includes back pay for the last 100 years of unequal distribution)

If they disagree, we walk away. We don't need the game.
Sea Gull
AG
Actually agree with that sip. It was something that families in Texas would watch together. I used to love watching it with my grandpa, who is a sip. They need to bring this game back. Say whatever you want about sips needing it more than us, blah, blah, blah. Who cares? That's a stupid ****ing reason. Bring the damn game back so we can watch the Ags beat the **** out of tu every year. And for the record, I HATE tu. HATE those ****ers. But they will always be our chief rival, just like we're theirs. Bring it back...fans of college football deserve it. Let's play it on Thanksgiving/TDay weekend like every other main rivals do. Stop being scared of hypothetical situations and just play the ****ing game.
RoadGunner
Sea Gull
AG
quote:

We do not.

2. SEC Refs
3. Equal distribution of PUF (which includes back pay for the last 100 years of unequal distribution)

****ing stupid. Who effing cares about the damn PUF? This is football, not a political arena. Make it home and away, just like it was.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:

We do not.

2. SEC Refs

****ing stupid. Who effing cares about the damn PUF? This is football, not a political arena. Make it home and away, just like it was.
SEC competes on the football but cooperates outside of it. Sips compete on the football field and outside of it.

They used the unequal PUF distribution and Conference control to marginalize us for the last century. I'm tired of competing with them off the field, so we should make them forfeit their weapon.
The Collective
AG
Did you guys forget the "y'all left the state" bull****?
spider96
AG
If we play them it'll be like tossing them a life preserver. We should be tossing them an anchor instead. Let them continue their march towards irrelevancy in that dumpster fire of a conference by themselves. If we play them in a bowl that's one thing, but I'm fine with no regular season games.
Saxsoon
AG
Neither school (especially A&M) want to reopen the PUF. The moment they do so, all of the other schools, like Tech, UNT, etc will want a share of the PUF as well. More likely than not, our share would actually shrink.
GAC06
AG
quote:
They used the unequal PUF distribution and Conference control to marginalize us for the last century. I'm tired of competing with them off the field, so we should make them forfeit their weapon.

This post is too stupid to waste time explaining how stupid it is
Muy
AG
Don't worry guys, the sips will continue to watch our rivalry game with LSU with as much fervor as always. Rivalry intact through skirt-hiding.
Muy
AG
And I have no doubt at least one sip will be at our game wearing burnt orange and cheering for LSU.
Frankie T
I, too, think it's a shame that we don't play them. I don't trust that they have changed from the bad business partners that they had become, so I would not be interested in becoming partners again. Maybe they will change and 5-10 years down the road we could look at renewing the rivalry. Until then it is not what's best for A&M, regardless of how much we would enjoy the game as fans.
Ramrod
AG
quote:
It was our birthright and it got thrown away over a few million dollars and a bunch of big egos.
There was really only one ego that kept it from happening, one man that said "our schedule is full"
Central Committee
AG
Do not want to play them at the moment. We offered but they were too arrogant and butt hurt to accept. Now their strength of schedule is roughly equivalent to Allen High and travel destinations even less enticing, they need this game to sell season tickets because their home game lineup is so lame.

They made this mess now they can live with it. Maybe some day when their egos have been tempered we can resume the historic series on equal terms with non-Big 12-2-2+2 refs.
Kemo Sabe
Haven't missed them a bit. Won't be missing them anytime soon. Looking forward to thanksgiving weekend in BR and NO next year!
Sea Gull
AG
Why does everyone look at this as a business decision? When did fans stop wanting a game because the "other team needs it more than we do". Who the **** cares? This is a game. Who really cares about revenue or tickets sold? Good lord...it's a rivalry. Let's play those ****ers and beat that ass.

I didn't want to play them initially. But I think it's a great rivalry that needs to be continued. Regardless of the outcome, we're still in the SEC, and they're still in the BDF.
cone
AG
quote:
one man that said "our schedule is full"
what an unforced error that was
Muy
AG
It will be continued, when we say it will be continued. We have all the leverage, you don't give in based on that position alone. Sips need to get knocked down a few more notches before we should entertain playing them again.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
first 5 at Kyle (just a little payback) then home/away series

games must be at night (especially if early season games)

ACC or SEC refs (never allow BDF refs to call any games, an immediate deal breaker)

no LHN games

SEC ticket availability guidelines for visiting teams

Hamburger Dan
Imagine for a moment if the shoe were on the other foot and Texas had left to join the PAC conference. Do you think they would have any remorse or compassion to anyone left in their wake. Especially schools they never considered as equals.?
cone
AG
quote:
We have all the leverage, you don't give in based on that position alone.
and it should be noted that Texas willingly gave A&M that leverage

they had everything in Jan. of 2010, and within two years gave it all away
cone
AG
quote:
SEC ticket availability guidelines for visiting teams
that should be absolutely non-negotiable
DVM97
AG
I've been going to that game since 1985, missed two from that year to 2011. That's 25 years of football memories, stories, bragging rights, turkey day road trips and sip tears. I haven't been to a thanksgiving game since the 2011 game. I just don't feel the passion and overall dislike for LSU...... The only positive out of this is that I get to spend more time at the deer lease during Thanksgiving week.

DVM
MROD92
Why does everyone look at this as a business decision? When did fans stop wanting a game because the "other team needs it more than we do". Who the **** cares? This is a game. Who really cares about revenue or tickets sold? Good lord...it's a rivalry. Let's play those ****ers and beat that ass.

When our decision makers finally awoke to what bad business partners the sips are and that they never play on an even field. You say it's just football, but when they incorporate tainted refs, or have the game on LHN or whatever BS they come up with, everyone will ask why did we ever renew the series
cone
AG
quote:
Why does everyone look at this as a business decision?
because it is
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
because it is
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
quote:
because it is

It's a game to us. The business decisions are at the top. Not the fans. It does both schools good to play this game. Not just tu,
cone
AG
quote:
It's a game to us. The business decisions are at the top. Not the fans.
yeah

and dumb ass fans don't get to make the decisions, luckily

quote:
It does both schools good to play this game.
in a one-off lower tier bowl? nope.

in a yearly OOC match-up? maybe, depending on the size of the playoff field and whatever level of OOC quality is currently mandated.

A&M gave them the opportunity in 2011. Texas turned it down. that decision won't be easily reversed.

calling someone chicken isn't leverage in the real world.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:

When our decision makers finally awoke to what bad business partners the sips are and that they never play on an even field. You say it's just football, but when they incorporate tainted refs, or have the game on LHN or whatever BS they come up with, everyone will ask why did we ever renew the series

Not denying they were bad conference mates and ruined the Big 12. But all those issues could be addressed in the contract. Every other big time rivals play each other, why shouldn't A&M and tu?

And even in the SEC, we're still getting butt****ed by the refs. See the Auburn games.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
It wasn't just a game to me. It was the entire month. Cut. Stack. On campus Bonfire. It was the whole prep too. Since we'll never get that back...what's the point? We move on into the future, appreciate what we had and let the sips suck a fatty...
cone
AG
quote:
Every other big time rivals play each other, why shouldn't A&M and tu?
Pitt and WVU?

Pitt and PSU?
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
quote:
It's a game to us. The business decisions are at the top. Not the fans.
yeah

and dumb ass fans don't get to make the decisions, luckily

You want to talk the business side of it, dumbass? Please explain how scheduling a high profile rival every year is a "bad business decision?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.