Re: "Defensive players don't want to play for aggagaeieigie"

4,392 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Muy
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Behold, the play and the conductor of BDF wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Ian Neff
Teslag
AG
We are kicking the **** out of Strong in defensive recruiting
Ian Neff
AG
I FREAKING LOVE THAT THE PLAY ENDS ON THE SEC LOGO.
CrottyKid
AG
83 gets effing manhandled.
The Collective
MallalieuAg
AG
I like that the defensive lineman don't just stand there straight up and get pushed back. They slide to the side and close gaps and hope they made the right choice. It is then left to the linebacker to close.

I didn't mean the laughing face.
RK
AG
I kind of wish they would have gotten cute and tried to PA just to see the QB get absolutely smoked by Matthews as soon as he turned around.
Potcake
AG
Howard Mathews dancing like a little kid as soon as he knew the play was stopped.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Sumlin: "Holy sheet, that was 4th down right?? no flags? WE WON!"
Rocco S
I assume Matthews's assignment was a QB blitz, which he was to stick with all the way in case of a play action action pass. Great job by Obioha keeping the blocker off him and making the stop in the backfield.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
I assume Matthews's assignment was a QB blitz, which he was to stick with all the way in case of a play action action pass.

Yep.

quote:
Play of the week:
A group that took nothing but abuse last year grew up on Saturday. Texas A&M's defense was the laughingstock of the SEC in 2013, but the Aggies proved in the fourth quarter and overtime against Arkansas that they can make stops when they must.

None was bigger than the stuffing of Razorbacks back Alex Collins on fourth-and-two in overtime to win the game.

When coaches talk about "fitting gaps," they mean what the Aggies did on this play. Arkansas lined up heavy with two tight ends, an H-back behind the left tight end and a fullback and Collins in an offset I-formation behind quarterback Brandon Allen.

This was the same formation the Hogs had used earlier for a play-action touchdown pass to wide-open tight end A.J. Derby. Texas A&M put 10 men in the box -- just as it had on the Derby scoring play. But defensive coordinator Mark Snyder was ready if Arkansas went play action this time. He had been saving a call all day to use in this very situation. Safety Howard Matthews would come screaming in and hit Allen if Allen didn't hand off. When Arkansas lined up, the Aggies knew what was coming.

Just before the snap, freshman defensive end Qualen Cunningham stood up, pointed toward the C gap (between the tackle and tight end) on the left side of the offense and alerted his teammates the play was coming to that spot. After the snap, Cunningham and the rest of the line fit perfectly into their assigned gaps -- holding their positions and keeping their heads inside each gap so they couldn't be turned away.

Sure enough, Collins took the snap and headed for the C gap to his left. Seeing it clogged, he looked right. Every potential hole Collins could run into was occupied. He tried playside B, playside A, backside A, backside B and backside C and found no room. This was by design. The action was supposed to be funneled to corner Deshazor Everett, who was unblocked on the far right side of the offense.

"Everybody else was to make him run the piano and bounce it all the way back to Deshazor," Snyder said.

But Everett didn't hit Collins first. That honor went to junior defensive end Julien Obioha, who got full extension on Arkansas tight end Jeremy Sprinkle and crushed him into the interior of the line before shedding him and grabbing Collins a yard behind the line of scrimmage. Everett jumped in to help drag Collins down, and Texas A&M celebrated a victory.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Good thing Obioha got to the RB, because I think Everett was too far back to make the stop before the RB picked up the 1st. I think Everett was probably supposed to lay back some to keep from getting mixed up in the line, but he probably was supposed to have come up a little more aggressively than he did.
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
yep...big time elite defensive recruits don't want to play in big games
King O Frod

quote:
Play of the week:
A group that took nothing but abuse last year grew up on Saturday. Texas A&M's defense was the laughingstock of the SEC in 2013, but the Aggies proved in the fourth quarter and overtime against Arkansas that they can make stops when they must.

None was bigger than the stuffing of Razorbacks back Alex Collins on fourth-and-two in overtime to win the game.

When coaches talk about "fitting gaps," they mean what the Aggies did on this play. Arkansas lined up heavy with two tight ends, an H-back behind the left tight end and a fullback and Collins in an offset I-formation behind quarterback Brandon Allen.

This was the same formation the Hogs had used earlier for a play-action touchdown pass to wide-open tight end A.J. Derby. Texas A&M put 10 men in the box -- just as it had on the Derby scoring play. But defensive coordinator Mark Snyder was ready if Arkansas went play action this time. He had been saving a call all day to use in this very situation. Safety Howard Matthews would come screaming in and hit Allen if Allen didn't hand off. When Arkansas lined up, the Aggies knew what was coming.

Just before the snap, freshman defensive end Qualen Cunningham stood up, pointed toward the C gap (between the tackle and tight end) on the left side of the offense and alerted his teammates the play was coming to that spot. After the snap, Cunningham and the rest of the line fit perfectly into their assigned gaps -- holding their positions and keeping their heads inside each gap so they couldn't be turned away.

Sure enough, Collins took the snap and headed for the C gap to his left. Seeing it clogged, he looked right. Every potential hole Collins could run into was occupied. He tried playside B, playside A, backside A, backside B and backside C and found no room. This was by design. The action was supposed to be funneled to corner Deshazor Everett, who was unblocked on the far right side of the offense.

"Everybody else was to make him run the piano and bounce it all the way back to Deshazor," Snyder said.

But Everett didn't hit Collins first. That honor went to junior defensive end Julien Obioha, who got full extension on Arkansas tight end Jeremy Sprinkle and crushed him into the interior of the line before shedding him and grabbing Collins a yard behind the line of scrimmage. Everett jumped in to help drag Collins down, and Texas A&M celebrated a victory.

Great breakdown
Aggie Joe 93
AG
But, sips say Sumlin doesn't care about defense.
Muy
AG
that ending absolutely ruined most sips' weekends
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
that ending absolutely ruined most sips' weekends

Then they aren't going to have any good weekends this year (between us winning and them losing). They are just gonna have to hold out until the off-season when they can start dreaming about how Strong will have his first full year to really go to work... how he will finally have some of "his" players on the field, etc.
Muy
AG
who does Strong have coming back next year to build on?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.