Race card pulled on the Sips

7,216 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BadMoonRisin
Born Maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
By Spencer Tillman...

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/16/spencer-tillman-race-could-hurt-charlie-strongs-chances-of-succeeding-at-texas/
UndergroundAg
Oh no!
Ag_EE
AG
Uh, yeah. Like that has affected KDS...

/facepalm
Ian Neff
AG
I read that. And it's entirely possible that I have comprehension issues - but did Tillman say that the race thing was an issue BECAUSE he's at tu?

Meaning, is he strictly saying that its a sip issue?
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:
I read that. And it's entirely possible that I have comprehension issues - but did Tillman say that the race thing was an issue BECAUSE he's at tu?

That's how I took it. He's got a tough rebuilding job to begin with, but add the fact that he's a black man in a heavily-scrutinized position at Texas and his job will be that much more difficult.
AgLaw
AG
Other factors:
****ty players
****ty coaching
****ty recruiting

But it's probably race.
Rocco S
quote:

/facepalm
KDS isn't coaching at a place where bleach bombs are regularly thrown at non whites
kb2001
AG
Already setting up excuses when he's fired after 3 seasons
Bottlehead90
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:

I read it exactly that way. Tillman is raising the possibility that race hurts Strong at Texas.

IF there is a bias against black head football coaches, it might be more significant at Texas. I am generally surrounded by Texas fans here in Austin. My take is that no one cares about Strong's race. They just want him to restore Texas to its glorious state. There are a few people I know who think it is a good thing that Strong is black - to move Texas away from its past. They also think since most elite D1 players are black that it will help recruiting to have a black head coach.
Slwdsm
quote:
Already setting up excuses when he's fired after 3 seasons

At this rate he won't make it to 3.
LostInLA07
AG
Oh yes he will. They've already conceded this year and next. It will take him 2 years to get rid of the talent Mack left and convert the team into a bunch of hard working 2 and 3 star players who will try to win games with scores like 10-7.

When things still aren't working out in year 3 he'll move to the hot seat in year 4. By improving from 4 to 6 or 7 wins and a bowl appearance he'll be granted a 5th year.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:

/facepalm
KDS isn't coaching at a place where bleach bombs are regularly thrown at non whites

This.
goodAg80
AG
from the Shag

It doesn't take long for the racist aristocrats there to attempt to divert attention to A&M

quote:
Think he is confusing us with the Ags. Unless he just proves constantly incapable and incompetent and/or as long as we are winning games by year 3, he will get 5 years. I am certainly not expecting any Petrino stupidity much less the tone-deaf idiocy of a Pellini, so I think he will be judged by the results on the field.

Then this is thrown out there...
quote:
Racist McCombs makes it possible for this loquacious OU **** to say **** like that.
Followed by
quote:
McCombs isn't Texas and was already told to **** off on the hire.

More wisdom...
quote:
What trash. Texas hires Strong on a completely colorblind basis, after a number of other schools reportedly pass because of his or his wife's race, yet we're the place where race will hurt his chances at success? We're the last place that should be called out after three games with absolutely no evidence that he is even near a warm seat.
quote:
Charlie Strongs follows media darling Mack Brown and starts 1-2 because of ****ty talent, horrible recruiting and injuries = race could hurt his success at Texas
Kevin Sumlin follows sleepy Mike Sherman and succeeds in first year in SECSECSEC due to really good talent (read: NFL quality offensive line) Sherman was wasting = BESTEST EVAH
quote:
Indeed. **** that boomer sooner ********ing cumgurgling piece of **** Spencer Tillman.
quote:
Keeping it real, I am not sure that UF could have hired Charlie after Urbs left. Not that the whole school/fan base is racist, it's more like some older influential boosters probably are. I suspect just about every major program has a few of those *******s floating about. Some just might have more than others.
^
|
How about they actually knew how he spoke and knew about his off-putting personality.

quote:
Losing, especially losing to OU, will hurt Strong's chances of success at UT
quote:
I don't seem to recall Spencer's concern for how Sumlin might fair at A&M.
quote:
As soon as I saw Tillman's name as one of the sources, the story lost all credibility. What a joke. So now Tillman and Switzer have become source for anything Texas related. They might as well head over to College station to get the scoop on what's wrong in Austin.

On and on...

W
AG
Tillman is an OU guy
Maroon Dawn
AG
Like any good liberals, sips project their real racism onto others
Frankie T
quote:
He was watching co-coordinators passing him by, meantime he was the orchestrator of [Florida's] two National Championships as defensive coordinator.

After hearing him speak in some press conferences I can't imagine why other coordinators who may have even been lesser assistant coaches would be chosen over Strong as one of the faces of a major university's athletic department. He seems very charismatic, exceedingly good at public speaking, and very prepared and comfortable when he's in front of a camera.
cuppycup
AG
I love that this is the last sentence for no reason.

quote:
During the game the Longhorns elected to kick off in both halves instead of receiving the ball.
dreyOO
I hate idiots that play the race card...with one exception. I'm glad its already showing up in Austin. Good luck firing him early
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
19 laughs at this

Slwdsm
Just my opinion, but if he doesn't win more than 10 games combined in the first two years, he gone. They'll come up with some elaborate BS (scandal or resignation) to can his ass despite the cupboard bare excuses... especially considering they are already starting to turn on him in Austin.
AndersHolmvik
AG
Subpar recruiting....check
No player development....check
Fourth best team in the state....check
Repeatedly embarrassed on tv....check
Declining season ticket sales and donations....just wait

Charlie doesn't seem like the type to take criticism well and with all the time he spends in front of the camera it could make for an entertaining exit. If he doesn't have the team in a position to challenge for a BDF championship in year two, as bad as the perception of the league is, he's gone.
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
Texas would let Edi Amin coach the nutless bovines if he could beat byu.
Bonfire1996
AG
quote:
Losing, especially losing to OU, will hurt Strong's chances of success at UT

Why? Didn't hurt Mack. Prior to Mack Brown winning his first ever conference championship, he compiled a 2-5 record against OU, and one of the wins was against John Blake. He also had losses by 49 points and 52 points to OU, both of which remain the worst losses, by either school, in the history of the series.

They have convinced themselves that Mack Brown is Lucifer himself.
WestAustinAg
AG
Shocking. He's an OU grad and he is leveling racial animus at the sips.
GAC06
AG
Bonfire, they were willing to overlook the OU losses as long as Mack beat us and owned the state in recruiting the way he did. Strong isn't going to beat us, and isn't going to out recruit us. The OU games may mean more now.
annie88
AG
Funny, Sumlin being black at A&M and the SEC hasn't hurt him. I think this is more about Strong as a coach.

and, please don't play the race card as an excuse for failure. I've seen race comments all over today trying to absolve Winston of his dumbness. Yup, people claiming white's have it out for him.
Frankie T
I think there's some truth to that. You whites did have it out for Manziel after he won the Heisman.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
How do the sips think Tan Fran is going to bring in better recruits than Mack? They say the cupboard is bare yet they are loaded w/4 and 5 star talent.

Texas Composite Team Rankings by Year:

2011 - #4
2012 - #2
2013 #17
2014 #17 (Tan Fran's first class)

Right now they are ranked #17 for 2015 and the players who they are going after are not going to bump up their class much more unless they land Boyd, Hill and Malik (BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH). Add in the fact that 2-3 of their highest ranked commits are having wandering eyes and have a good chance of decommitting as the recruiting cycle heats up.
APHIS AG
quote:
Why? Didn't hurt Mack. Prior to Mack Brown winning his first ever conference championship, he compiled a 2-5 record against OU, and one of the wins was against John Blake. He also had losses by 49 points and 52 points to OU, both of which remain the worst losses, by either school, in the history of the series.

Losing to trailer trash U is acceptable, losing to us will get you fired. However, that may change with us gone but then, their is still that little problem with Baylor.
Rocco S
Had we played the last 2 years, we'd have won 5/8.

Mack got fired because he lost TX recruiting to us.
Clown Question
One of the reasons the whorns are going mad is because they do not have our game. They measured themselves by playing A&M. ou means nothing to them. They were cheering for ou in the cotton bowl. However, the fact that A&M is on its own and away from them is driving them crazy. Playing ou, baylor, tcu, tech, wvu, etc., nothing else feels the same way for them.

For the most part we just do not care, and that makes it even worse for them.
CGSC Lobotomy
Let's look across College Football at minority head coaches in FBS: (post 1)

American - Ruffin McNeal (East Carolina): ABSOLUTELY. Whatever he's doing there is working.

American - Willie Taggart (South Florida): Still TBD, but he was pretty successful at Western Kentucky

ACC - Mike London (Virginia): Pretty average to mediocre results so far, BUT this season could be the turning point for him, especially if they beat BYU Saturday.

Big 12 - Charlie Strong (t.u.): Still too early to tell if he's lost the team, but what he's doing doesn't seem to be working so far.

Big Ten - James Franklin (Penn State): YES. Not only that, but he just got the big albatross removed by the NCAA. GREAT recruiter even though he pulled a dick move on Vanderbilt.

Big Ten - Darrell Hazell (Purdue): Not looking good. 1-11 his first season and it may be more of the same this year. Made Kent State an 11-win team, so clearly he can coach. Purdue just might be the new Indiana.
CGSC Lobotomy
PAC 12 - David Shaw (Stanford): They've been consistently good to very good, but not quite GREAT yet. Still, what he's doing seems to be working.

SEC - Kevin Sumlin (A&M): Do I really need to go into detail here?

SEC - Derek Mason (Vanderbilt): I'm not ready to call him a failure yet due to how badly Franklin **** on Vanderbilt on the way out.

So basically, out of the 9 black FBS head coaches:

4 are doing what they're supposed to do or exceeding expectations

1 is on the fringe with the potential to trend up

3 are first year coaches that are not off to a good start

1 has a track record of doing well, but may be in a no-win situation.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Have they listened to one of Charlie's press conferences? If he speaks in a job interview like he does on tv its no wonder nobody wanted his ass.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.