"That's not even debatable."

7,252 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieIce
Stewade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG

Trailer and premiere info: TexAgs.com/SECReady
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Pat Forde sounds like a really intelligent individual.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
Pat Forde sounds like a fa*got. And that's not even debatable
SQXVI
AG
production actually looks pretty sharp.
CoachLB
Forde was with ESPN at the time he said that. ESPN attacked A&M like they had committed a mortal sin. Most of this was guys just doing what their bosses told them to do. ESPN saw things in the college football world changing and it scared them. They wanted things to stay the same and for the Big 12 to be the Longhorns conference to rule. All because of the LHN. But Forde and others should have had enough character to not fall in line with ESPNs attacks on a University.
DOG XO 84
AG
They don't call him"Forde " for nothing....

Pat Forde Blew "Forde" Dudes @ESPN

PFBFD@ESPN
BadMoonRisin
AG
That trailer made my dick move...
W
AG
I would agree that Forde was in a tough spot. The narrative from his employer (ESPN) was to trash the schools leaving the BDF
Mr. Bergstrom
AG
Just throwing this out there... it is possible that Forde is correct. It might have been easier for A&M to achieve kingpin status staying in the Big 12. It is not likely, but it is possible. Maybe, just maybe Kevin Sumlin IS that good. There is no way to know.
Frankie T
No matter how much success we had with JFF, it would have been impossible for us to ascend to college football's upper tier for any real length of time if we stayed in the Big 12. Even without the issues we had with the conference bowing down to the longhorns, going to the SEC was the only way A&M could have a trump card over tu for recruiting. One to two years of Aggie success would have been (and has been) spun by the BOMC to mean next to nothing going forward. Not only that but staying in that declining conference would have hurt us just as it will continue to hurt OU, tu, Baylor and the rest until it finally gets bad enough that those that can leave will.
DallasAg 94
quote:
It might have been easier for A&M to achieve kingpin status staying in the Big 12.

That would be true if you thought the only thing A&M needed was to win a few more games.

The truth is... teams in the BDF do not have the parity that teams have in the SEC. Even if A&M were to have been boosted by Sumlin winning... the end result would still have been a downturn. The SEC is 6-3 against the BDF the past 2 seasons.

A&M would never fill a 106K seat stadium with a home schedule of:
(2011)
SMU
Idaho
Okie State
Baylol
Missouri West Va
Kansas
tu

or (2010)
SFA
La Tech
FIU
Missouri
Tech
OU
Nebraska TCU

Look at 2010... what a crap schedule.

Add to that... the BDF has done away with the Conference Championship game (Big Revenue shared among all).

Add to that the way Conference revenue was being shared.

THE biggest problem with the BDF boils all problems down to financial support among the teams.

Kansas, West Va, TCU, K-State, Iowa State will NEVER have the natural financial ability to compete with tu and OU, and with the lack of parity in revenue sharing, along with the LHN... there is just no real way those teams will be able to maintain facilities and coaching staffs to be consistently competitive in the BDF... nor will they be able to recruit the best athletes to beat the better teams in the nation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/june26confstand.pdf
BDF: 6 (tu), 19 (OU), 22 (OSU), 31 (Baylol), 38 (ISU), 55 (KU), 59 (Tech), 69 (WV), 77 (TCU), 99 (KSU)
SEC: 2 (Fl), 10 (A&M), 11 (Kent), 16 (Ga), 17 (Bama), 24 (L$U), 28 (Ark), 34 (Aub), 35 (USCe), 40 (TU), 45 (Vandy), 46 (Missouri), 52 (MissSt), 54 (Ole Miss).

Look at that. 10 teams vs 14 teams, and BDF has 5 teams who finished 2014 lower than all 14 SEC teams.

SEC has 5 teams (36%) in the Top 20, BDF has 2 (20%).

And that gap will grow even more this year.

Arguing for a future for the BDF is like arguing the CUSA greatness when SMU was headed there from the SWC.
farmersfightatm
Also love hearing all the BDF people saying we would have been playing for a NC in 2012 if we had stayed in the conference...except they forget that if we were not in the SEC, 'Bama would not have lost a game...and there's no way the voters are gonna put us ahead of 'Bama and Notre Lame for a NC game...
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
Pat Forde sounds like a fa*got. And that's not even debatable

Sure isn't
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
Just throwing this out there... it is possible that Forde is correct. It might have been easier for A&M to achieve kingpin status staying in the Big 12. It is not likely, but it is possible. Maybe, just maybe Kevin Sumlin IS that good. There is no way to know.
Coaching would have made a difference in any conference. It always does and is the biggest factor for success. But these things were the difference makers from the standpoint of SEC:

1) recruiting was always going to be tough if we stayed in Big Xii as the state media has always marginalized us and worked hard to keep Texas (and even OU) ahead of us in attention and respect.
2) revenue would have been marginalized in the Big Xii - both in terms of media revenue from the SECN and the revenue from T1 and T2 as well as from Kyle expansion (off the table) and sell outs.
3) attention, marketing, swagger - now that it is behind us ESPN gives us all the attention we can handle. As Loftin correctly predicted visibility for this university is greater because of the conference we are in that it would have ever been in the Big Xii. All of that helps #1 and #2 above.

tommeehawk7
I give Coach Sumlin the credit for your success , much more so than moving to the S.E.C. , but what do I know?
Tom Doniphon
quote:
but what do I know?

Based on your posting history.... not very damn much.
APHIS AG
quote:
It might have been easier for A&M to achieve kingpin status staying in the Big 12.

We are one coach away from being mediocre again if we would have stayed in the BDF for no matter what, t.u. controls the BDF. Now, we control our own destiny being the only Texas team in the SEC, offer a choice to Texas HS recruits, and play in a highly respected conference.
ntxVol
quote:
I give Coach Sumlin the credit for your success , much more so than moving to the S.E.C. , but what do I know?

No question Sumlin deserves a lot of credit but would he have been at A&M in 2012 without the move to the SEC? Or would Sherman have gotten another year?

Also, I think beating Bama in Tuscaloosa helped Johnny win the Heisman. Would not have happened without the SEC move and I'm not sure Johnny would have been handed the reins had Sherman still been your coach.

Pretty much just a perfect storm for you guys all around.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
quote:
but what do I know?

Based on your posting history.... not very damn much.

He knows which pillows taste the best
One Nine
Pat Forde is a pear shaped ***got.
CoachLB
Tommehawk - Most horn fans I know laughed when A&M hired Sumlin. And as recent as the start of this season believed A&M would fail big time without Manziel, who they believed was the only reason A&M won any games. I guess you were not one of those guys?
GAC06
AG
quote:
No question Sumlin deserves a lot of credit but would he have been at A&M in 2012 without the move to the SEC? Or would Sherman have gotten another year?

Also, I think beating Bama in Tuscaloosa helped Johnny win the Heisman. Would not have happened without the SEC move and I'm not sure Johnny would have been handed the reins had Sherman still been your coach.

Pretty much just a perfect storm for you guys all around.

If we had stayed in the big12 and hired Sumlin, we would probably still be *****ing about going undefeated only to watch undefeated Bama murder undefeated Notre Dame for the BCS title.
SapperAg
AG
It is fascinating that the narrative went from "Aggies will be destroyed in the big, bad SEC," (tu fans admitting the BDF was inferior top-to-bottom) to "SEC is overrated!" after a touch of success on our end. So it seems their narrative is always built around what Daddy is up to.
Nomad
AG
quote:

The **** does that mean?
that poster
We've only won 1 SEC game this year. Let's manage our expectations and take it one game at a time.

Thats my plan.
permabull
AG
aggiehawg
AG
FTR, the Big XII has somewhat equal revenue sharing now, barring the partial pay-outs for TCU and WVU. Was one of the things they changed as we (and Mizzoo) were walking out of the door. OU and tu removed their objections to it because of the Sooner network and the LHN.. Also, Boren had just been spurned by the PAC and thought that move might stop other defections. Sooners needed the Big XII (and AQ status) to hold together.

Ultimate joke was the end of the BCS and automatic qualifying status for the Big XII and the poor distribution of the Sooner network.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
That looks badass!
fistofsouth
quote:
quote:

The **** does that mean?
I suspect it means that he feels the production values are good.
stingaree
While I disagree with the intent (at the time) of Forde's argument, if you break it down and extrapolate, he was ultimately correct. A "kingpin" is the most important thing or person in an organization. I'm fairly sure that you guys would have won the Big 12 last year and would do so again this year. Probably next...

No one knows the metrics of this year's playoff system selection but there is at least an argument that you would have a better chance at a National Championship in the Big 12.

Flame away.
Teslag
AG
We'd rather have our situation now than a few mid major conference titles.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
We've only won 1 SEC game this year. Let's manage our expectations and take it one game at a time.

Thats my plan.
If you are Kenny Hill then I support your plan.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Every Sunday, I will play Selection Committee member, take a look at the College Football Playoff picture and offer my bracket. Feel free to agree or disagree, starting with this: Forde's Fab Four features the same teams as last week, but in different order.Sugar Bowl: No. 1 seed Texas A&M (4-0) vs. No. 4 seed Florida State (3-0)The Aggies move up to the top spot in the Fab Four based not so much on what they did Saturday pulverizing winless SMU but because of the continuing quality of their opening rout of South Carolina. The Gamecocks are the only team to beat East Carolina (which could win the ACC Coastal if it were part of the league) and the only team to beat Georgia. And Texas A&M destroyed Steve Spurrier University on its home field, the only visiting team to win there since 2011. A&M's other three victories are all filler, but they've also been no-doubters the Aggies beat Lamar, Rice and SMU by an average of 50 points, only allowing a total of 19 points in those three games. Stat: Not only has Texas A&M never trailed this season, it has led by double digits for nearly 186 minutes of a total 240. Nobody has come close to scaring the Aggies yet. Next: Plays Arkansas in JerryWorld to begin a four-week stretch of brutal SEC West competition.
Maroon Dawn
AG
The only ones who think us being in the Little 10 would have been ideal are the Little 10 fans themselves who cant stand the success that our move has brought while they wallow in that crappy conference no one takes seriously. They want us back under the Bevo thumb where our recruiting, fan support and exposure could never take off.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
quote:
...if you break it down and extrapolate, he was ultimately correct. A "kingpin" is the most important thing or person in an organization.

Incorrect.

The "kingpin" as the most important or leader is not de facto an annual champion in football. If you're looking at that, you're thinking too small. As Texas has ruled the BDF for years, how many Conference titles do they have? If Baylor is awarded the BDF Championship this year, does that mean they'll control the BDF?

Moving to the SEC is a critical piece of A&M's success. It's not the only reason, but without the elevated level if competition, National exposure, and autonomy; the results would be vastly different.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.