The dichotomy of Geoff Ketchum and the rivals network

13,702 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by the Ambassador
Bonfire1996
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Geoff is "on the record" stating that you cannot win anything of substance with a team full of three star talents. Given what Charlie Strong has begun to do over the past 72 hours, recruiting nothing but 3 star talents (some 2 stars), Geoff has a decision to make. Support or openly question the Strong regime.

As a "recruiting guru" (funny eh?) Geoff Ketchum has a duty, or at least he claims he has a duty, to maintain an accurate projection of talent at the next level. For years, particularly in 2008-2011, as chronicled right here on texags.com Old Rivalries, Geoff Ketchum ignored this duty and valued the Mack Brown offer as the holiest of holies. Someone received an offer from Mack Brown, the highly ranked three star rating of 5.9 was the floor, some would even argue the 6.1 four star rating was the floor. But that was for recruits in the State of Texas, where Geoff Ketchum had control of the ratings. Geoff could manipulate the ratings for these guys, keep his paying subscriber base happy, and all was well....until those recruits began to pan out, or more accurately, not pan out.

But now Charlie appears to be dipping into the JUCO ranks....from out of state. Why does this matter? Because for these out of state JUCO recruits, they fall under the rivals jurisdiction of another rivals network affiliate. One that may actually portray an objective stance. That has been the argument from sip fans for the last few years. When Aggie fans would try to discuss Ketch's biased rankings, they would point to other programs that apparently recruit well and don't have overranking issues. But when you point to other programs, such as Alabama, LSU, South Carolina (not a good example anymore), Auburn, etc. you are also pointing to another rivals network affiliate who handles the rankings. Geoff Ketchum is the sole proprietor of ranking texas players for rivals.com. Sure there is Aggie Yell and other small potatoes affiliates, but the rivals higher ups listen to Geoff over them....why? Because Geoff is better at his job than those other schlubs. Because Geoff has the larger subscriber base.

Look at the 2012 rankings and one Germain Ifedi who is the next in line for Offensive Tackle University and a likely first day pick in the NFL draft when he declares in 2015 or 2016.

Aggie Yell had him as the 66th ranked player in Texas - objectively an oops moment for them. But give them a pass because Geoff Ketchum never, ever, had him ranked....at all. Why? Because Ifedi was the type of player Sumlin recruited to Houston, not the major FBS type talent needed to win at A&M. That shlt is so funny it writes itself.

So Geoff has an interesting decision to make as Charlie Strong begins to recruit players from out of state, whom Geoff does not have the authority to overrank. And now that we are very late in the 2015 recruiting game, will Geoff even be able to get away with overranking the in state kids this late? Does he stand by his statement that you cannot win in major college football with a bunch of 3 stars? This will undoubtedly alienate him from his paying subscriber base, whom desperately want to hear that things are getting better. That is bad for business. Or does he ignore his previous statements on talent baselines, and join in the sunshine pumping parade?

Remember, not two months ago, did he not lambast a certain William Liucci for hiding the truth from his own subscriber base, and did not Geoff do it in very public fashion? Words have a way of biting old Geoff right in his humungous ass. Which words will he choose this time? Either way, he loses.
Tom Doniphon
Geoff is an unbiased journalist (not a fan boy turned sports reporter) and he even signed a code of ethics. Is there really any doubt he'll do the right thing?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
He'll state how he said Oklahoma state has a good program at some point over the last ten years in all his weekly ramblings, and then say he was misquoted or his words were misconstrued by Aggies who are so obsessed with him.
He'll point to Wickline and Louisvilles presence in the 2014 draft (ignoring their no draftees the year before) and say that a 3* strong player is really a 4* player. The subscribers will love it (see posts in the latest 3* Charlie thread)
People will keep paying their $9.95/month.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Another note, people pay $9.95 because they want an "expert" to tell them how everything is going to be okay. That's how ketchapotamus still has a job
the Ambassador
AG
Hey Bonfire, don't get me wrong because I really enjoy reading your threads and I think they make much sense, but how in the world do you have time to push out these threads with obvious research to back them up... and on a typical workday morning? I must know what you do for a living and consider changing career fields.

If you're wondering, I'm in London killing time after surgery for a complete tear of my Achilles tendon. I have nothing to do but read TexAgs, learn how to hobble around with cast/crutches, and drink beer. I normally work and live in West Africa.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
Words have a way of biting old Geoff right in his humungous ass.

Once thing is for certain, he has a lot of words and a lot of ass.
bdgol07
AG
quote:
Hey Bonfire, don't get me wrong because I really enjoy reading your threads and I think they make much sense, but how in the world do you have time to push out these threads with obvious research to back them up... and on a typical workday morning? I must know what you do for a living and consider changing career fields.

If you're wondering, I'm in London killing time after surgery for a complete tear of my Achilles tendon. I have nothing to do but read TexAgs, learn how to hobble around with cast/crutches, and drink beer. I normally work and live in West Africa.
He's THAT good
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
Geoff is an unbiased journalist (not a fan boy turned sports reporter) and he even signed a code of ethics. Is there really any doubt he'll do the right thing?

This sums Ketchapotamus up perfectly. He's a fan boy. Nothing more. His sole purpose in life right now is to keep his base subscribers happy and to collect clicks from Aggies for spewing nothing short of garbage. Like this crap with Malik Jefferson. There is no way in hell he goes to tu. But the Potamus is telling his loyal subjects that.

What qualifies him to be an expert on high school or college athletes? What gives him the qualifications to rank athletes? How did he become an "expert" on football? He's a blowhard. That's all he is.

Unfortunately, this recruiting system we live with leads to a bunch of these "ketchs". Most aren't as well known. A&M even has a few that I've met. Guys who can break the news that a 17 year kid has picked what university decently, but, because of that, believe they are truly more knowledgeable about sports than the average fan. I'm no expert on sports, but I was in a debate with a guy from 247, a sports journalist that works for ABC in CS, and a radio guy from 1150. It was truly amazing how clueless these guys were but believed they were 100% right, and I was just some dumb guy. It comes with the nature of the gig.

That being said...Ketchapotamus is a fatass.
WC87
AG
I put it to you, Ketch - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I normally work and live in West Africa.
T&P
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:

Why do you care how he finds the time?

And nobody gives a **** about what you're doing and why.
goodAg80
AG
If he is from West Africa, I wonder if he has Ebola. This Achilles thing might be a cover.
Brazos Born
And if you are really concerned with a complete recovery, you would have had Dr. Abbott perform a root canal on your Achilles.
Hood
AG
quote:
quote:

This sums Ketchapotamus up perfectly. He's a fan boy. Nothing more. His sole purpose in life right now is to keep his base subscribers happy and to collect clicks from Aggies for spewing nothing short of garbage. Like this crap with Malik Jefferson. There is no way in hell he goes to tu. But the Potamus is telling his loyal subjects that.
In December, Malik is going to sit down in his school's gym behind a table with a TAMU hat and a Baylor hat on it. He'll put on the TAMU hat, shocking very few people, and Ketchapotamus will write about how he really expected this all along but Charlie is going to do amazing things with those JUCO transfers and that 3-star commit that runs a 4.9 40-yard dash.
Ft Worth Ag
AG
quote:
Given what Charlie Strong has begun to do over the past 72 hours, recruiting nothing but 3 star talents (some 2 stars), Geoff has a decision to make. Support or openly question the Strong regime.

Two options were given, but there is a third option that he will take. He will continue to support Charlie Strong all the way up to when there is blood in the water -- and then like a shark, Ketchum will attack and tear apart Strong as a coach and a human being. This has been Ketchum's MO for years. See how he sucked up to Brown during the good times and the guy goes out of his way to bad-mouth Brown these days.

Ketchum is part of the problem.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
So I guess we should be saying congratulations on the lucky Achilles tear?
Bobcat06
AG
Does anyone know if there is a correlation between star rankings and wins?

For example, if team has a star average of 4.1 over the past four classes, should they expect to win 7.6 games a season?

There obvious exceptions for when a team quits on a coach (Auburn 2012, USCw 2013) and skewed rankings (Ketch), but I expect that there should be some correlation between talent and wins.

It would be interesting to have empirical evidence whether Mack really "lost it" as a coach or if Ketch's hype machine got Mack fired?
Tom Doniphon
Bobcat- yes. I've seen someone on m&w post the breakdown before. Not sure sure how to search it or what thread it was in.
Bonfire1996
AG
I did an analysis of trailing four year average win totals as an inverse relationship to trailing four year average recruiting ranking. As in, the closer your recruiting ranking is to 1, the closer your average win total should reach 13 or 14.

It was spot on...except for one team, Geoff Ketchum's favorite. I'll see if I can find it.
Federale01
AG
Did you tear your Achilles running from Ebola?
Tom Doniphon
Not exactly what you're looking for, but good info nonetheless.

http://www.cfbtn.com/2014/05/an-analysis-of-recruiting-class-rankings.html?m=1
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
quote:
Did you tear your Achilles running from Ebola?
Sean98
AG
quote:
If he is from West Africa, I wonder if he has Ebola. This Achilles thing might be a cover.
Sex with Monkeys
Bobcat06
AG
If there was some linear regression model like

W = 2.1 *S + 1.7 with a r2=.86

W= Wins & S = Star Average

then we could calculate what texas's star average should have been based on the 2010-2013 season results.

I expect that over rankings should start in 2006-2007 time frame, this coincides with 1. Ketch's belief Mack can do no wrong following the 2005 MNC 2. the SECSECSEC talking points go into full gear and Ketch wants to show that texas is outrecruiting UF, LSU, Bama, etc.

Conversely, A&M landed notoriously underranked players like Manziel, Evans, Joeckel, Moore etc. Based on our wins totals from 2010-2013 (with 2011 being an aberration due to horrific conditioning), what should our recruiting average be?
B-1 83
AG
quote:
I put it to you, Ketch - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

I see what you did there....
VanZandt92
Long read, but I liked it
Aggie Joe 93
AG
quote:
quote:

I see what you did there....

I, for one, am not going to stand here and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America!
mas61475
AG
Hey the Ambassador, we are coming to London tomorrow, any place to watch the Aggie game on Saturday night there in merry old England?

Oh yeah, Ketch is in the business of making money, you don't have to tell the truth, you have to pander to your subscribers. Please see all the cable "news" stations.
hatintu
AG
Bonfire!
El Nino in Londontown
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
Love bonfire's analysis

quote:

I don't know about you $#@!s but this class looks bad ass on paper, Aggies beat us on star power at the top but our class looks quality top to bottom with good sized prospects. Definitely the best class in the Big12. If we can get all these guys to stick and flip a few high ranked guys well be more than fine in the near future. We could use an elite pass rusher, not sure that's Omenhiu or not. Maybe Luis Brown morphs into that.
dreyOO
The real question is: when does the subscriber base finally wake up? Do they never notice that what he says on Tuesday isn't the same thing he says on Wednesday? Do they realize he has and will continue to have a negative impact on their program?

I hope they never wake up.
The Asset 07
AG
Bonfire that's some next level activity you got going on.

Busdriver99
AG
Nope, the subscriber base either 1. doesn't want to wake up, or 2. Isn't bright enough to see the obvious contradictions due to a lack if long term memory

Either way, everyone wins!!!
sarancher
AG
Ketch sucks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.