Real Estate
Sponsored by

Opinions wanted on upgrading flooring

2,046 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jay@AgsReward.com
texas_aggie_99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Currently planning on putting our house on the market, downstairs is tile (large tiles, not the little 12 inch tiles) except bedroom, dining, and study are carpet. Considering putting hardwood in.

Quote we got was for $9,800 for engineered hardwood to do entryway, dining, halls, study, and living room.
$3K for study and the dining room. House is in the 450-470K range in Allen.

Would you replace everything, nothing, or just the study and dining room? We asked our realtor (haven't signed anything) but she said don't bother because other comps didn't all have hardwoods.

Want to listen to her but thinking just $3K to do the front room would help sell house faster and get closer to asking price. Every month house costs are about $2,600 (negating tax impact....).

What would you do??
SoTheySay
S
Without knowing more - I would likely suggest that you not spend that money unless it was a need. This is assuming that your carpet is in good shape.

Are you competing with a lot of homes? Is there a nearly identical home on the market?
histag10
AG
just my opinion, but I would hate it if half of my downstairs was hardwood and the rest tile. I would likely have to then rip out one or the other and redo the downstairs in one consistent flooring. I would likely feel the same way with the carpet, but maybe not.

My point is, if I was your buyer, regardless of what you did, I would likely rip it out and redo it if it wasnt all consistent.
texas_aggie_99
Yes, that is what I was afraid of, turning off potential buyers who didn't like the inconsistency. We aren't selling until the spring anyways. The carpet is in perfectly fine shape, not the nicest carpet in the world but it's less than 2 years old, neutral, and clean as we never actually eat in our formal dining room.

We've made other improvements that we did for our own sake such as replacing light fixtures, installing speakers, screen, etc. in the media room since we moved in that hopefully will help make it stand out. It's a fairly cookie cutter subdivision IMO but we have an extended 3 car garage and a huge yard that is a big appeal.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I could care less about the difference downstairs bc we have tile and wood in the same areas your talking about. I would rather have a flooring allowance so that I could pick what I wanted vs having the seller do it.
Diggity
AG
I would doubt you would get your money back on that expense. If people complain, offer them an allowance.
powerbiscuit
if your carpet is good shape, save the money
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
It's going to depend on competition and your pricing. Generally speaking, if your current flooring is in good condition, I'd lean toward NOT doing it.

If you are looking for an agent to sell, I'm in the area! Can provide as many references from fellow TexAgs members as you like....

Cody
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
DriftwoodAg
AG
We are buying a house right now that is exactly what you are asking about. I would say leave it as is. Odds are, the people moving in will prefer to make their own decisions on flooring upgrades
samarcus
If it is really needed then you should replace it but if you can still wait and save up some more money then that is better than having to settle with tile
OnlyForNow
AG
Alternating flooring (we found out) really puts people off.

We had new carpet, hard wood, and tile (albeit 3 kinds). And to us it looked good (we added 1 of the tiles, the other 2 were there when we moved in the bathrooms.

New house we moved into had hard wood, carpet, and 1 kind of tile (horrible little 4 inch). We negotiated price based on replacing all carpet with a mid-priced tile we liked and it worked out.

I'd say figure out what you would spend on the change, and be willing to add 5% to it and give that back to the buyer as "flooring modifications" or whatever.
AggiePlaya
AG
If the comps all had great flooring improvements then you should match...sounds like they don't so you should be good with no upgrade IMO
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
More and more folks that I talk to, are planing on doing some sort of renovations/updating to the houses they are moving into. I used to get asked about renovation loans once a month maybe but now it seems like it is multiple times a day. So, just based on, that I am not sure if I would spend money to upgrade as the buyer might just change it anyway.

It obviously depends on market, price point etc but just a trend I have noticed for a while now.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.