Real Estate
Sponsored by

HOA Dues At Closing Prorated?

6,343 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieaviator
aggieaviator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I purchased a new build in June of this year. Was I responsible for paying the HOA dues for an entire year for the property even though it wasn't completed and I didn't live there or is there a prorated amount I was liable for? The reason I am asking is because I closed and now I have been notified that I owe an additional large amount for the year. From my closing docs, it appears I paid a prorated amount based on the yearly fee and I paid all of the Cap Fee and Transfer Fee. Any help is appreciated. TIA
OldArmy07
AG
Did you pay the builder for the HOA fees, or did they pay you for an amount that was to be paid later?

It could be that HOA dues are due at the beginning of the year, so the builder paid for the entire year at that time. You paid them back for the pro-rated portion of the year that you own the house. If that's the case, then the bill you're receiving now could be for 2017 dues?
beerag04
AG
OldArmy is correct. Most HOA dues are paid upfront so your bill may be for the full year next year.

There are also many deals between HOAs and builders that shift all of the responsibility for HOA dues to the buyers such as yourself. However, anything like that should have been handled at closing. If the prorations were handled improperly at closing I would call the title company.
aggieaviator
AG
OldArmy07 said:

Did you pay the builder for the HOA fees, or did they pay you for an amount that was to be paid later?

It could be that HOA dues are due at the beginning of the year, so the builder paid for the entire year at that time. You paid them back for the pro-rated portion of the year that you own the house. If that's the case, then the bill you're receiving now could be for 2017 dues?
I'm not sure I understand the part about them paying me for an amount to be paid later.
At closing, I was charged a prorated amount for the entire year 2016. I know this for sure b/c the paperwork has the dates 1/1/16-12/31/16. My next HOA dues aren't due until the beginning of next year and will be much larger than the amount they are trying to collect from me now. Also the letter states that based on an annual assessment on 8/8/16 I have an outstanding balance of $XXX and to call them if my records disagree.

Let me ask this a different way. Are HOA dues assessed for an entire year even though the property isn't finished? If so, then someone owes the HOA for the first half of the year and I know the builder didn't pay it so it looks like they are trying to push it onto me. If not, then I have a leg to stand on. I'm just trying to get my ducks lined up before I reach out to them.

Updated- I spoke with the title company. They confirmed that I was prorated for my portion of the remaining year and that I shouldn't owe any more. They requested the letter from the HOA and will be getting back to me.
Update #2- Title company confirmed that I am current with my dues and they are reaching out to the HOA to sort this out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.