Real Estate
Sponsored by

Help: CS Student House Rental Search

1,887 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by laurenlinde
vivaAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking at renting a home with some of my buddies for the school year next year. I know it may seem early, but we're hoping to get a nice place close to campus and I know they go fast. I'd like some help on where to start looking because we're pretty clueless and searching on Google is overwhelming.
oldarmy76
When are you looking at moving in? How man y bedrooms?
thaed137
AG
It is very early. Most rentals won't know if a tenant is re-leasing a property until sometime next Jan-April. Several posters, like myself, have rentals and can help to some degree but I can't guarantee anything until I know if my tenants are renewing next year.

From your position, I would get with a realtor. It won't cost you anything to use to help you find a place but they will most likely tell you the same thing, it is too early. However, they most likely also have a property mgmt arm and can help you get first look at properties that come on the market that aren't renewed. Personally, I would start the search in earnest in January and go from there.

vivaAG
AG
oldarmy76 said:

When are you looking at moving in? How man y bedrooms?
Summer 2017, before the fall semester starts. And 4+
jmazz
AG
I have 4 properties that might be a fit...not sure which will be vacant next year though as I enlist the services of a management company. All 4 are just as you get into Bryan behind the Northgate area...all biking distance to campus. Email me and I can give you addresses and check with my management company to see if any of them will be available next August. Although, as a prior poster mentioned, it will probably be January before we know (pretty sure my management company asks tenants to let them know by January 1 if they'll be renewing).

jeff at 12 realty dot com

Take care.
vivaAG
AG
thaed137 said:

It is very early. Most rentals won't know if a tenant is re-leasing a property until sometime next Jan-April. Several posters, like myself, have rentals and can help to some degree but I can't guarantee anything until I know if my tenants are renewing next year.

From your position, I would get with a realtor. It won't cost you anything to use to help you find a place but they will most likely tell you the same thing, it is too early. However, they most likely also have a property mgmt arm and can help you get first look at properties that come on the market that aren't renewed. Personally, I would start the search in earnest in January and go from there.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I realize most things won't open up until later, but last year I was looking for a house and got shafted because a roommate pulled out last minute. Would you recommend contacting a rental locator service (e.g., Aggieland Apartment Finders), a brokerage (e.g., TM5 Properties), or a management company (e.g., AgShacks)?

If it's any help, I'm hoping to rent a house that's:
  • near a bus stop or within reasonable walking/biking distance to campus
  • new/less than a decade old
  • furnished with basic appliances
  • 4+ bedrooms
  • rent around $800/month or less per person
SteveBott
AG
800 a month? Damn that will rent a palace
Zemira
AG
SteveBott said:

800 a month? Damn that will rent a palace

Okay I'm not the only one thinking that is high. I haven't lived in BCS since 2007, but I remember you could get a really nice place for $500 a room. I remember our rent was $800 for a 2 bedroom apartment in grad school and we thought we were getting fleeced.

I guess it's been ten years but $3200 a month for a house!
vivaAG
AG
Yeah I know $800 is really high but it's actually less than what I'm paying now. I'm hoping to get something in the $500-$700 range. The lower the better but I just want to keep my options open early on.
thaed137
AG
I will say $450-$650 should net you something really nice on a bus route or close to campus. I'll have a barracks property most likely open next year as a four bedroom that has a bus route that rents around $575/person that has the wake board pools and lazy river stuff.

Email is in profile but as stated probably couldn't answer until Q1 of next year. As far as locator service, yah any of them should be helpful. I have some under Century 21 mgmt service so I'm biased to tell you to start there haha.
laurenlinde
We have multiple properties for larger groups walking distance to TAMU campus. We can do one lease or individual leases with all bills paid. We're already beginning to pre lease if you'd like to get first pick! You can email me if you'd like some more information laurenlindemulder@tamu.edu
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.