Real Estate
Sponsored by

Is it possible to get a neighborhood rezoned from one school district to another?

4,371 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by evestor1
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we currently live in Humble ISD and are zoned to some good schools and really like the area we live but are looking at upgrading homes.

There's a neighborhood nearby which has acreage lots and large homes but it's really screwy. Most of the neighborhood is really nice and zoned to the same part of Humble ISD as we are. However, you cross a flood control canal that runs into Lake Houston and the other side is zoned to ghetto Sheldon ISD. So this neighborhood is split- one part is big, beautiful homes and the other is largely undeveloped.

And this section zoned to Sheldon is pretty much completely isolated from the rest of the district. Any thoughts on how to go about getting this section switched to Humble? Is this even possible?

Even more odd is the fact that there is a large section of our neighborhood which is also below this flood control canal and has homes which back up to the other neighborhood which are zoned to Humble ISD while their backyard neighbors would go to Sheldon.
BigPuma
AG
I would be surprised if Sheldon ISD would relinquish control
Deats99
AG
and give up the revenue. They did a lot of that out here where I live as far as Rockwall and Terrell schools, but that was pre-development.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
and give up the revenue. They did a lot of that out here where I live as far as Rockwall and Terrell schools, but that was pre-development.

That was my thought too.

But this is a pretty small drop in the bucket. Especially with some large scale commercial development coming online and the tax revenues from that too.

Really just thinking online and wondering if there was a process.
Deats99
AG
I believe it is a matter of bringing an argument of benefit to the residents other than the schools are better over there.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Post removed:
by user
jopatura
AG
It's kind of possible, but it's up to the Board of Trustees of each school district.

They are trying to do the same thing with a neighborhood that's split between Alvin ISD and Fort Bend ISD and this article explains the process a little bit: https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron.com/neighborhood/fortbend-news/amp/Shadow-Creek-Ranch-residents-seek-switch-in-9224781.php?client=safari
The Fife
quote:
It would take a substantial amount of political capital to make something like that happen.
Yep, if it were easy it would happen a lot more often.
Ragoo
AG
Can't you pay a fee to transfer schools? Probably cheaper.
jopatura
AG
If the school that someone wants to transfer to is full, the transfer is denied. You have to reapply every year in some cases, so you may get to do one or two years at one school then you have to go back to your home school/district.
Premium
AG
Offer them a split of the new revenue - raise taxes slightly higher on the school tax for just that section. Everyone wins!
HTownAg98
quote:
Offer them a split of the new revenue - raise taxes slightly higher on the school tax for just that section. Everyone wins!

That flies in the face of fair and equitable taxation. The only way you could do that would be to create a special district, and I'm pretty sure you cannot do that for school taxes.
Premium
AG
quote:
quote:

That flies in the face of fair and equitable taxation. The only way you could do that would be to create a special district, and I'm pretty sure you cannot do that for school taxes.

To be fair, I have no idea what I'm talking about
powerbiscuit
I've seen a few areas that are on the boundary that have access to attend either school district.
normaleagle05
AG
I've dealt with a couple of boundary conflicts between school districts. Somewhere each district has a metes and bounds description of its legal boundaries. Get those descriptions (email the superintendents) and put them in front of a competent land surveyor to see if the boundary is really where everyone thinks it is. Hint, it very often is NOT where folks believe it to be. The district may try to tell you that all they have is map, push harder, they have a description somewhere.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I believe it is a matter of bringing an argument of benefit to the residents other than the schools are better over there.

Well one benefit would be that to get from this neighborhood to any of the schools in Sheldon ISD you've got to pass by 2 elementary, 1 middle, and 1 high school in Humble ISD.

The closest Sheldon ISD school to this neighborhood is 6.1 miles while the closest Humble ISD school is 1.9 miles.
stroodles
AG
FYI - Sheldon just passed a $285 million bond in May which includes a new high school and new elementary. Not sure where they are going to be located but just something to consider. I second they aren't going to want to lose the tax revenue after passing the bond.
evestor1
I own a lake house in this hood (since 2008) just up from the canal. There has been talk of humble ISD taking it for years. Let me know if you want any inside info.

We are actually tearing down the house and rebuilding in 2017. It's a fantastic neighborhood!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.