Real Estate
Sponsored by

Rental condo flooded suggestions

1,092 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoTheySay
Ditto2016
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M College student leasing lower level unit from Eq**** & while new roof being put on upper level unit they punctured sprinkler system. Residents from bith units were gone & by the time they returned units were flooded. Restoration company immediately came in with dehumidifiers & large fans. Flooring has been removed, walls taken to studs. Student is without housing. Been a month & no progress the only info we can get from mgmt company is condo owner & HOA are arguing over who should file on their insurance to fix. Student received a $367 utility bill because of the fans & dehumidifiers & AC running while restoration crew was there. Student still has responsibility for cable, wifi & utility bills. Any suggestions on what the leasee rights are? Thanks
The Fife
It shouldn't matter whose insurance they file under, the insurance company will probably subrogate the claim to the contractor's general liability anyway.

Since the place is unlivable they should be able to get out of the lease without too much trouble. Maybe offer to cover the one month of utilities if they balk, then wash your hands of the mess be gone.

Ditto2016
AG
Thanks, student gave notice at end of August to terminate if not livable by end of September. According to lease that will protect leasee so no issue getting out of lease. Problem is this location & condo was chosen for several reasons & options for alternative housing are not as good. Ideally it would be fixed.
SoTheySay
S
Email me at email in profile. I'd be happy to see if I can help get student moved to same area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.