Real Estate
Sponsored by

Owner Protection on Significant Remodels

958 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sasappis
saturn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the process of bidding out a significant addition and remodel to my house, but I'm personally struggling with financial protection. I'm dealing with reputable builders but is there anything else I can do to protect myself on a sizable cash transaction?

Too many horror stories of contractors/builders walking out on jobs with unfinished or subpar quality work.
The Original AG 76
AG
keep looking for contractors until you can find a pay upon completion guy. Progress payments for purchased items upon delivery on site.
Agilaw
AG
Customized Contract (not on form provided by contractor) outlining major items: scope, payment, change orders, flow down provisions, damage clauses, indemnification, insurance, notices, termination; M&M Lien releases promptly prepared and filed (if contractor uses subs, which it sounds like he will due to size of the job); Good references (confirmed - you talked to owner and did a site visit).
Copp
establish a draw schedule where there are milestones for payments. That way you are not getting out ahead of of work that has not been done.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.