Another lawsuit in WBB college sports

3,892 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sure alot of lawsuits, investigations, transfer etc this year. What is happening to college sports?

Former Iowa State star Nikki Moody sues Cyclones coach Bill Fennelly

Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Former Iowa State basketball star Nikki Moody has sued coach Bill Fennelly, the university and the state for racial discrimination and retaliation, saying she was repeatedly called a "thug" and labeled a selfish player despite being the program's career assists leader.

Fennelly, who has been Iowa State's coach since 1995, constantly demeaned, berated, harassed and discriminated against Moody during her time with the Cyclones, according to the lawsuit filed in state district court. Moody, who is black, said the discrimination she suffered led to a "hostile education environment through racial harassment."

"Iowa State University has not seen the lawsuit and has no comment," spokesman John McCarroll said.
Fennelly is 447-223 with Iowa State -- which regularly ranks among the nation's top teams in home attendance -- and is signed through 2019 after agreeing to a 12-year, $10.6 million contract in 2007

Moody, who graduated in 2015 as a four-year starter, said the abuse caused her severe emotional distress and that her complaints to assistant coaches and a senior athletics administrator brought not response.

Moody claims that Fennelly treated white players differently than African-American players and that Fennelly called her a "thug" multiple times throughout her career. Moody said that Fennelly told Iowa State's freshman players that her senior class, made up of Moody and two other African-American players, were "bad influences" and to stay away from them.

Fennelly allegedly told Moody she had "been trying to ruin my life, but I will get the last laugh. I can't wait to tell coaches that call me all the negative things I know about you."

According to Moody, Fennelly also repeatedly demeaned Chassidy Cole, at the time the only black player on the team who was not a freshman, saying she "will end up in prison, just like her mother" and was also a thug. Cole declined comment Monday, telling The Associated Press she "didn't want to be involved."

Moody led the Cyclones with 14.5 points and 6.8 assists per game in 2014-15. She was drafted 33rd overall by the San Antonio Stars in the 2015 WNBA Draft but was cut soon thereafter.

The Cyclones struggled without Moody last season, going just 13-17 and missing the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2006.
Rudybryan
Attorney: Other ISU players corroborate Fennelly's racism

The Des Moines Register reported today, Nate Borland -- the attorney representing Nikki Moody in her lawsuit-- there are other teammates who stand behind Moody's allegations of the mistreatment from Bill Fennelly as a black player.

While Borland cannot share at the moment the specifics those other women have shared, they do have signed affidavits. Specifically, Borland told the Register this statement:

read more....................

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/19/11464742/isu-players-support-moody-lawsuit-fennelly

brotheraggie
brotheraggie
Gap
AG
It is time to disband athletics all together if we are going to start suing the schools we played for because the coach said something mean to us. I'm guessing about 99.9% of us have something we can sue over.
biobioprof
quote:
It is time to disband athletics all together if we are going to start suing the schools we played for because the coach said something mean to us. I'm guessing about 99.9% of us have something we can sue over.
I don't think that many of us ever were scholarship athletes.
RAB88
AG
pretty sure Coach Blair never talks to his players that way.

Not saying a coach can't be a hard ass but good grief a little respect.

TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I won't say that athletes in my generation and the coming aren't more sensitive than their predecessors, but there is a difference between being a hard, tough coach and what is being claimed in this lawsuit.

There should be a line that coaches can't cross. Being a coach shouldn't be a license to say and do whatever you want. And I daresay many coaches would agree with me.
Rudybryan
quote:
quote:
I won't say that athletes in my generation and the coming aren't more sensitive than their predecessors, but there is a difference between being a hard, tough coach and what is being claimed in this lawsuit.

There should be a line that coaches can't cross. Being a coach shouldn't be a license to say and do whatever you want. And I daresay many coaches would agree with me.
Don't tell that to Geno......Pat Summitt was a hard coach....... champions they built.......if your a sissy and want your way go somewhere else.....It was their way or the highway.......
TXAggie2011
AG
Again, there is a difference between hard and tough, "my way or the highway" kind of coaching and what this coach was doing.

Pat and Geno demand(ed) you follow the rules and work hard and buy into the system they're coaching.

We've all had tough, demanding coaches along the way. But we probably didn't have a coach that pulled the stunts this one was pulling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.