Story Poster
Photo by Matt Sachs, TexAgs
Texas A&M Women's Basketball

Gary Blair talks Auburn victory, traveling to Georgia and more

January 17, 2013

Notes from Gary Blair interview

* Both the men’s and women’s team just got back from Kentucky, and both arenas, Rupp and Memorial, provided a great atmosphere. People from around town would shop around the area before the game and there was so much basketball merchandise to be bought, particularly on the men’s side.

* It was a shame that he was able to hit the half court shot in Memorial Arena the day before their matchup with Kentucky and that Peyton Little could only hit the rim of what would have been a game tying, buzzer-beating three pointer. That video has gone somewhat viral, and he had no idea it was being filmed when he shot it. He got close a couple of times before hitting the shot and then proceeded to show off his old man moves.

* He thinks the Manti Te’o situation is very sad. Social media is everywhere these days and people are too easily tricked into believing what is not true. He just had a meeting with his staff members to tell them that he wants them on the phone talking to the parents of his players when planning next weekend’s parent’s weekend. He feels sorry for Te’o right now because he believes Te’o was tricked.

* The team took Monday off to allow the players to go to class and meet their professors without any interference. He has been on the road recruiting the past couple of days in Alabama and South Carolina , and it’s clear that when you walk into a room with the A&M logo on your sleeve, people know who you are now. It’s a completely different feeling from what was felt in the Big 12.

* He believes that Kristi Bellock is the most improved player in the country. Her improvement is due to her good attitude while being a role player on three good teams over the past three years. Now, Bellock is ready for her moment and has done a great job this season.

* It’s too early to tell if Courtney Walker is the future of the A&M basketball program. Every ball game, Walker has to guard the other team’s best player. Sometimes that wares on her and hurts her on the offensive side of the ball. However, she is still doing well and hopefully Courtney Williams will be able to start guarding some of those tall two and three players to take some of the pressure off of Walker.

* There is no doubt that Kelsey Bone is a first team All-American. Bone is putting up numbers that are the best in the SEC and some of the best in the country. He’s spending a lot of time marketing Bone to the media in order to get Bone the credit that is due to her.

* Georgia hasn’t forgotten how badly A&M beat them in the 2011 NCAA Tournament and Sunday’s game against the Bulldogs could be the most important game of the year. With a win, A&M could set themselves up perfect for the second half of conference play, knowing that they have a bunch of games at home.

* After playing Georgia, A&M travels to Mississippi State where they will be reunited with Vic Schaefer. Mississippi State has some injury problems, but Schaefer is coaching them up well.

Discussion from...

2,772 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by cs69ag
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ronnie Woodard
AG
Special thanks to Mac Resource Computers for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! For the third consecutive year, all WBB content will be available to you for free!
Cleaves1
I have noticed here recently that Blair has talked about each one of the 5 starters except for Pratcher. In this interview he spoke on everyones progress except for Pratcher as well. I think she handles the offense well and she has also paid her dues. She has handled his decision making when it comes to her starting and not starting as well as her PT very well. She has been the most consistant player in the past 4 years of anyone but yet she still doesn't get any props. I don't get it, she may not be Aqua,Colson,Carter, or Standish but I think that she has done an amazing job maintaining her composure and dealing with adversity from all angles. She is a SR this year and I think she has done a great job of trying to be the PG that is needed. Over the past 4 or 5 games she has played in a major part of the offense as well as created for her teammates throughtout the year.

WAY TO GO PRATCHER!!!!!!
Bucketrunner
Agreed, Cleaves, that she has worked hard and made a great improvement in her game this year. One question: the only time I remember seeing you post is when you go on the defensive for her. Are you a relative?
Cleaves1
I don't really like posting anything.. I just like reading them. Every now and then I will post something if I feel there is a need to speak up about something that I have noticed and no one else has mentioned. For the most part I don't have to post anything because the frequent people that post are always on top of their game and I like that. The answer to your question is; YES, I am a relative and am so PROUD of her. Thanks for asking.
cs69ag
AG
Cleaves1...good post, and I also agree with you.
Pratch has been steady and is having a good senior year.

She is smart and represents herself, her team and TAMU very well. She is not flashy or vocal, but does her job and does it well. I respect good team players who are good Aggies...she has been one of my favorites!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.