Not dominant, but nice win by No. 6 Texas A&M over UALR, 83-54

2,788 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by rosstradamas70
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
The sixth-ranked A&M women's basketball team took care of business vs. UA-Little Rock tonight on the road, 83-54.

It wasn't a particularly dominating performance but the Ags still manage to cruise to a convincing win. A&M shot 43.7 percent but were just 28.6 percent on threes.

However, the maroon and while brought their usual brand of intensity on the defensive end, forcing 24 turnovers and limiting the Trojans to 39.6 percent shooting.

Five players scored in double figures for A&M. Kelsey Bone led the way with 16, to go along with eight rebounds. Sydney Carter and Adaora Elonu each had 15 points and Elonu added nine boards. Skylar Collins came off the bench to net 14 and Tyra White added 12, as the Aggies improved to 3-0 on the young season.

A&M returns home to host Mississippi State Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

Just a very quick update from the women's game for you guys.

[This message has been edited by gabe_bock (edited 11/17/2011 9:34p).]
Gabe Bock
Sponsor
AG
Special thanks to Mac Resource Computers for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! Once again this season, all WBB content will be available free ... so feel free to pass around any of our women's hoops stuff to your friends who enjoy the Aggies and like knowing more about this special group of young ladies.
Rudybryan
Thanks Gabe & Mac
JR69
AG
29 pts over a good team isn't dominant?
Gabe Bock
Sponsor
AG
It was a very, very solid win. I wouldn't say that A&M played even remotely close to their best game. It's not a knock on them. The Ags are so good that they could have won by 60 tonight if they were "on" ... I truly believe that. So with that measuring stick, no, I don't believe they were anywhere near dominant.
JR69
AG
You're a good guy Gabe, but you've got a different standard for dominant. Sure, they could have won by 60 if it was a late season game - maybe - or if 40% of the minutes played didn't go to the bench.

One stat that nobody ever pays attention to is FGA - Field Goals Attempted. Anytime we hold an opponent to 23 fewer shots than we take, THAT is a dominating performance, regardless of the score differential.

They're not tournament ready for sure - but geez, it was the 3rd game of the season with a new point guard and a whole new look in the post.
Bucketrunner
I was really proud of Skylar. It's good to see her get playing time and to make the most of it.
cs69ag
AG
Really happy for Sky! Wish I could have watched her. She is so athletic. If she lets the game come to her and plays within herself, she should have a good year.

We only had 9 assists as a team....can't remember a total that low....indicates we did not have to pass the ball much to get a shot.

Glad to see the ft% at 82%...when Carter goes 6 for 6 and Bone 4 for 4, that helps!

Season stats not posted yet, but the team not shooting the 3 all that well yet. With our bigs, and wanting to play inside out, not a big concern yet, but when we get zoned by a good team, making some 3's will be important.

29 points victory on the road vs. a decent team and playing 11 ladies at least 9 minutes is a very good team win!

I think Gabe has graduated from Vic's school of charm and is not easily satisfied!

Gabe...we appreciate your coverage!

[This message has been edited by cs69ag (edited 11/18/2011 4:19a).]
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I was watching on the computer link, but was really impressed with the energy of Skylar. I think we have found our sixth man that Blair likes to use so effectively.
gigum
AG
3GA Also watched on internet and fully agree with your comment.
MUAG
Thanks to all of you that provide such good info about the team. There are lots of us that want to learn all we can about the team and the number is growing. I remember when there were about 40 of us fans at Blair luncheons at Cain Hall. Keep up the good work.
cocacolaaggie68
I agree with other posters 29 points is dominant. Every game is one at a time, each team is different - so 29 points on the road is significant. Our ladies basketball team along with our track and field teams are are the toughest pound for pound teams we have. They know what what it takes to win, and they do it week in and week out. Neither coach makes excuses, they just play and they are relentless and "fanatical". The ladies swim team is getting there and the equestrian team is already there as well - sorry for the overlook. I think Kennedy will get our men's team there as well. Good luck to all of our sports teams but these groups of Aggie teams are already performing at that level. Come on football and baseball - we want you to perform at these levels as well game for game day in and day out. D Harrigan class of '68 And if you think it is bad now, we use to kiss our dates if we recovered our own fumbles!
Rudybryan
I like that our offense is spread to all 5 positions!
Tastybrisket10
AG
29 point win on the road is pretty dominant. Let's not overlook these type of wins just because we were National Champs last year...
Bigbird
AG
Really proud of the ladies. The Ags are awesome already. Looking forward to a great year. As a man, I've got to say I'm glad for Title IX so we can have some positive national attention for our sports program.

Also, I'm glad that our players in other sports support each other: i.e. men's basketball players going to soccer games and girls BB going to football games. Very proud of our athletes.
JR69
AG
quote:
class of '68 And if you think it is bad now, we use to kiss our dates if we recovered our own fumbles!

I was there too. Except for the '67 season and the '68 Cotton Bowl, the Stallings years were pretty bad.......

cocacolaaggie68
JR you are correct and if you remember the start of our Sr year we lost the first 4 games to start that season and then won all the rest of them to include the epic win over Bear Bryant in the Cotton Bowl!
JR69
AG
I do remember it well. I froze my serge-butt off at the Cotton Bowl but the party that night was epic. And the 10-7 win over tu was pretty sweet too.
rosstradamas70
AG
those first four games we were outscored by 4 (SMU), 1 (LSU), 1 (FSU), and 4 (Purdue)
That was the only season that I attended every football game
I have yet to make it to 100% of the ladies BB games but that may yet happen!!

ross skillman '70
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.