Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Trust owned Property and land damage payment

1,188 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Pinochet
3rdgenAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if this is the right board for this question or not but here it goes.

We own property in Texas that is owned by a revocable trust that my wife and I set up and are the co-trustees on. A pipeline is coming through it and the pipeline company said they have to send the check to the name listed on the title, which is the trust.

Do we need to set up a bank account for the trust to receive these funds or could we just cash the check into our own joint checking account? Since its made out to the trust I suspect the bank could have an issue with that. I have not asked the bank this yet.

Any ideas?
OldArmyCT
AG
Two choices here:
1. Copy your post and paste it into an email to your banker.
2. Call your banker and ask.
one safe place
See if your bank will accept the trust signing over the check to you to avoid having to open an account.
AggieT
AG
Just do a mobile deposit and see if it goes through. I cash checks for my kids all the time.
3rdgenAg2010
OldArmyCT said:

Two choices here:
1. Copy your post and paste it into an email to your banker.
2. Call your banker and ask.
Thank you. Talked to the bank. Apparently we will have to open a bank account for the trust to deposit the check into. I guess now i have to see if there's any issue pulling funds out of it. I dont see why their would be though.
SoTxAg
AG
Shouldnt be any issue pulling the funds but does the trust have its own tax id number? How to report the income might be another question for your banker or accountant.
3rdgenAg2010
SoTxAg said:

Shouldnt be any issue pulling the funds but does the trust have its own tax id number? How to report the income might be another question for your banker or accountant.

It doesn't have its own tax id number that I'm aware of. I really need an accountant but can't seem to find one that knows anything about these kind of questions. If anyone has a recommendation I'd appreciate that as well.
OnlyForNow
AG
what lawyer set up your trust without going over this with you?
one safe place
SoTxAg said:

As a revocable trust, typically an EIN isn't needed, just uses the social security number of the grantor.
3rdgenAg2010
OnlyForNow said:

what lawyer set up your trust without going over this with you?

It was several years ago so they may have and I have just forgotten lol
OnlyForNow
AG
Got it.

And that's understandable, depending on why the trust was set up, at first I was thinking it was a cash/real property holding trust but that may not be the case.
Pinochet
I'm confused by this. Isn't the check a negotiable instrument? I've had to explain some basic concepts to bank tellers and managers before. Some don't really understand the banking system and are just working on tribal knowledge they picked up in the break room or from their cousin who must know what he's talking about because he drives a corvette.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.