Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Bitcoin ETFs

5,118 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LatinAggie1997
jamey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone playing with these? Is it too soon?

ktownag08
AG
Tracking but no money in
Done7
I bought a little. But my focus this year is BTC Miners and now MSTR since it looks to be oversold.
ac04
blackrock bought 11.5k bitcoin this week. current supply issuance is 900 per day, that cuts in half in ~3 months.

jamey
AG
ac04 said:

blackrock bought 11.5k bitcoin this week. current supply issuance is 900 per day, that cuts in half in ~3 months.

What controls the 900 supply
ac04
the entire supply issuance schedule is predetermined by code and it's immutability is protected by the most powerful computing network in existence.
jamey
AG
So it's like an asset or I guess a commodity like oil, but we know now we'll only be able to pump half as much in 3 months

Obviously we burn oil but perhaps bitcoin could be considered wealth storage capacity
Kansas Kid
I have had GBTC since April last year. I wouldn't buy it now because their fees are too high but I liked the ~40% discount and I felt they would be able to covert to an ETF within 2-3 years and the halving event in 2q made me bullish on BTC.
Algorithmic Epiphany
jamey said:

So it's like an asset or I guess a commodity like oil, but we know now we'll only be able to pump half as much in 3 months

Obviously we burn oil but perhaps bitcoin could be considered wealth storage capacity

And in 4 more years it'll be 225 per day
jamey
AG
So far these are down about 14%

Still too early?
ac04
be patient until GBTC finishes selling off. imo
Kansas Kid
This should serve as the reminder of buy the rumor, sell the fact. It works way more often than not.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Average in while the GBTC effect is sorting itself out.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
jamey
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Is GBTC the biggest dog among the bitcoin ETFs
Kansas Kid
jamey said:

Pepper Brooks said:

Is GBTC the biggest dog among the bitcoin ETFs

They should all get similar returns with slightly lower performance from GBTC due to the higher fees.
ac04
the fees aren't the only reason GBTC is getting smoked, it is the only ETF that was previously a trust, which was trading at a huge discount vs spot for a couple of years. people locked in there have been waiting for the discount to close to get out (and some arbitraged the discount anticipating ETF approvals). FTX's bankruptcy estate has sold ~$1B of GBTC since it was converted to ETF, almost half of the outflows.
Kansas Kid
ac04 said:

the fees aren't the only reason GBTC is getting smoked, it is the only ETF that was previously a trust, which was trading at a huge discount vs spot for a couple of years. people locked in there have been waiting for the discount to close to get out (and some arbitraged the discount anticipating ETF approvals). FTX's bankruptcy estate has sold ~$1B of GBTC since it was converted to ETF, almost half of the outflows.

The discount had all but disappeared by the time of approval. It is now trading at a small premium (less than 0.5%). If by smoked you mean losing assets under management, you are correct.

If you mean poor performance, it is tracking Bitcoin with a near perfect correlation as are the other ETFs so the only performance different is the fees which would result in about a 0.1% lower performance per month than the best performing ETFs. Unless they lower the fees, they will get almost no inflow other than from people that don't look at fees and existing shareholders will move money to the other ETFs especially once it is clear which new ETFs will make it. . They are advertising a lot to try to stop this but most investors are too fee sensitive to have this work.
ac04
yes, losing AUM is exactly what i meant. hence the suggestion to wait for them to finish selling off.
Kansas Kid
ac04 said:

yes, losing AUM is exactly what i meant. hence the suggestion to wait for them to finish selling off.

They are done now.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/ftx-sold-about-1-bln-grayscales-bitcoin-etf-since-its-approval-coindesk-2024-01-22/#:~:text=Jan%2022%20(Reuters)%20%2D%20FTX,opens%20new%20tab%20on%20Monday.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I still don't understand why they're intent on self implosion. Why not take the fee lower from the jump and retain the title as the largest BTC ETF by AUM?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

RightWingConspirator
AG
I've picked up several shares of FBTC. I'm down on every purchase, but I intend to hang on for a long time. I picked up MSTR back under $290 and dumped my shares once my loss approached 7 percent. That was a mistake, obviously.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Outflows related to the fee being high likely won't stop just because FTX sold a large chunk of shares. I wont be surprised if it keeps going for a few more weeks but who knows.

Average in and quit trying to time the bottom.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

Kansas Kid
Pepper Brooks said:

Outflows related to the fee being high likely won't stop just because FTX sold a large chunk of shares. I wont be surprised if it keeps going for a few more weeks but who knows.

Average in and quit trying to time the bottom.

Agreed but likely those outflows will be largely offset by people taking that money to other ETFs to reduce fees.

Like you said, no one knows the bottom.
TxAG#2011
Geez. Satoshi do something bro
Kansas Kid
TxAG#2011 said:

Geez. Satoshi do something bro

Welcome to Bitcoin where 50+% drawdowns are normal. You could see this one coming from a mile away as it ran hard into the ETF announcement. Where will it stop dropping? No one knows so as said above, if you want to get in, dollar cost average.
LatinAggie1997
AG
DCA into BTC ETFs for about a month and look into buying some Microstrategy shares (to hold).

Also, Schwab is likely about to enter the BTC ETF game. They have been sitting back watching and now see how best to approach it with lower fees.
Boat Shoes
AG
So is there a consensus on best current bitcoin ETF? IBIT?
jamey
AG
Boat Shoes said:

So is there a consensus on best current bitcoin ETF? IBIT?

I picked IBIT because its the lowest price, currently at $27 a share where others I loked at are in the 40s but they appear to track up and down the same amount, all around +4.3% today for example

The lower cost just allows me to cost average in more often
Pepper Brooks
AG
IBIT and FBTC are separating themselves from the pack with respects to inflows and AUM. Share price shouldn't matter a ton unless one is trading at a premium or discount to NAV.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Do you think an ETF give you a greater percentage gain than just owning BTC outright? Assuming same dollars are being used. I know the ETF's are new, so wasn't sure if they will have more price movement upward this year due to that once the halfing cycle starts.
nortex97
AG
I think the main thing is it is easier to trade/work with/accumulate in an IRA. As with all funds, it benefits from a professional management yet there is a cost to that.
Pepper Brooks
AG
No. Theoretically the share price should correlate to the increase/decrease in value of the underlying asset. It's never perfect but the larger funds should be fine.

However, I would only buy the ETFs in accounts where the money is locked up. The value propositions for Bitcoin are only maximized when you self custody the asset itself. The ETFs only give you exposure to the price action.

I own the ETF in my IRA but also own the asset instead of holding the ETF in my brokerage account, for instance.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

PA24
AG
Bitcoin making another positive run.

TxAG#2011
This ETF move catching everyone off guard. Up only in this new paradigm
nortex97
AG
I think it's a great place to move some assets if one believes the market is due for a downturn this spring.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.