Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Old Stock Given as Gift??

1,120 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by voorheesdn
voorheesdn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My uncle gave me 5 shares of Microsoft in 1999 as a graduation gift from High School. I just recently uncovered the certificate and have no clue what has come of these in the last 17 years. I have the original stock certificate and was wondering how I go about putting these in a place where I can monitor, sell, trade, etc

Suggestions?
The Wonderer
AG
Congrats on the 10 shares of Microsoft you own assuming the original stock was purchased in May 1999. One 2-for-1 split has occurred since May 1999.
aggietony2010
AG
Microsoft has gone through 1 or 2 splits since then, so you're actually sitting on 10 or 20 shares.

Have you been receiving dividends for these shares?

I don't really know more, just curious to see what happens.
Bayou City
Is your name on the certs? If you haven't been getting dividends, proxys, etc it makes me think the transfer agent and registrar still consider him the owner. He could have even moved them to book entry if they weren't in your name which could explain the lack of correspondence beyeeen Msft and you.

Also you mention HS. If you weren't 18 he could only buy for you in a custodian capacity unless he planned to buy in his name and later transfer in kind at the original cost basis
Casey TableTennis
AG
aggdave said:

My uncle gave me 5 shares of Microsoft in 1999 as a graduation gift from High School. I just recently uncovered the certificate and have no clue what has come of these in the last 17 years. I have the original stock certificate and was wondering how I go about putting these in a place where I can monitor, sell, trade, etc

Suggestions?
Contact the transfer agent for Microsoft. Can be found on their Investor Relations pages.

They should have all the info you need to get up to date on what you hold. From there, you'll need to decide if you want to keep in certificate form or deposit into a brokerage account. As someone else mentioned, if it was a custodial account, you may need to update the registration to reflect you are no longer a minor.

voorheesdn
AG
Thanks. It was a custodial account from my Mom but I believe that dropped off when I turned 18? Let's hope it was purchased early enough to have seen 2 splits rather then just 1. It's not a lot but found money is always good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.