Business & Investing
Sponsored by

2017 Insurance Prices

6,631 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Davanji84
Dr. Doctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone gotten your new plans and seen the increases?

Been tracking my insurance plans since 2014 (although I could probably find it back to 2011 if I looked). We have 4 plans available to us.

For 2015 (over 2014):
Average price increase: 6.66%
Lowest increase: 6.61%
Highest increase: 6.68 %

For 2016 (over 2015):
Average price increase: 3.28%
Lowest increase: -0.25%
Highest increase: 7.28 %

For 2017 (over 2016):
Average price increase: 40.68%
Lowest increase: 34.87%
Highest increase: 47.99%

Interestingly enough, we have had massive lay-offs/retirements, the the pool should have gotten younger/healthier. I guess they are moving more costs to the employees this year. Joy.

~egon
ktownag08
AG
Medical insurance paycheck cost is about the same (up maybe 3% for the 3 plans we have), but deductibles are up again. To offset bigger increase, they cut our employee sponsored life insurance in half. Fortune 100 company.

Downside is, my division is being merged with a different company in which my current company will own a majority stake. They told us our HRA money is gone once the merger closes (plan they've been pumping for years now), and all our benefits will of course change (not likely for the better). Luckily, I've only been on this HRA for a very short time (few months due to a move). Knew it was BS, but for having a baby would have been cheaper out of pocket compared to HSA + CDHP plan. Oh well, F them and Obamacare.
JustPanda
AG
We had no increase. $250/month family BCBS PPO, $65/month family MetLife dental PPO, $500 deductible person in network, $1000 out of network, $2000 max family, no rx drug co pay and coinsurance is 90/10,
DRE06
AG
ZoneClub said:

We had no increase. $250/month family BCBS PPO, $65/month family MetLife dental PPO, $500 deductible person in network, $1000 out of network, $2000 max family, no rx drug co pay and coinsurance is 90/10,

Is this through a group/employer plan, or one you took out individually?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
ZoneClub said:

I would consider yourself very lucky at this point.
JustPanda
AG
Employer
jtraggie99
AG
Ours just renewed, but my employer pays 100% of our premium, so there was no increase. That said, our deductible went up some, but seeing as how I pay no premium, I can live with it.
Pelayo
AG
I self insured my small company two years ago, our cost for an equivalent plan after factoring in the savings from the unused claims fund went down almost 60%. Even is we had used the entire claims fund we would have been down quite a bit compared to the ACA plans. F Obamacare
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Diggity
AG
Did you really have to ask?
DRE06
AG
When I was first out of college (2006-2011), I was an independent contractor who had to take out my own health insurance (BC PPO). My rates used to be pretty cheap.
Diggity
AG
Mine too
Beckdiesel03
AG
For two adults and 1 kid pre obamacare it was $450 a month with a $2500 family deductible. It's now $800 for 2 adults and 2 kids and we have a $13,500 deductible. And we get to deal with a new plan every year. I'm tackling our new plan bs in the next two weeks so I'll be sure to repost.
LOYAL AG
AG
My plan got cancelled. Yeah the plan that was already 70%+ higher than my pre-Obamacare plan. I think I can replace it with a similar plan for only 25% more which would be only about a 140% increase over the past four years.

Liberals suck.
JustPanda
AG
I'm a liberal, but understand economics. ACA is a disaster
LOYAL AG
AG
ZoneClub said:

I'm a liberal, but understand economics. ACA is a disaster

Those two are mutually exclusive. Maybe you're a libertarian.
JustPanda
AG
Social liberal, financial libertarian. I'm a Clinton democrat sans the Brady Bill. Didn't vote in Gore vs Bush, but I've been blue since then. We will be voting Clinton again, not just because of trunps recent comments, but because of his inflammatory and degrading remarks when he disagrees with another opinion, and lack of an actual plan. I respect his business acumen, but don't think he is the right person to lead the country.

Not dating Hillary is ideal, but voting for trump is like voting to let tu into the SEC: a disaster that could have been avoided.

I'm still a Flores supporter and donor.

I can't stand Fidel, I mean Julian Castro, but think Dan Patrick is a demigod like Trump.

John Zerwas is a republican, but someone I'd vote for in a second.

With all of that said I'm still about an 80/20 D to R ticket.
drill4oil78
AG
Obamacare is exactly whjat the progressives intended for it to be .... a disaster ... we will get a single payer system soon. If you like the VA you will really like socialized medicine in a bigger way. Instead of 15-20 million people in a government run system we will have 300 million. The only people that will not be in the single payer is the politicians.

Can't wait.
LOYAL AG
AG
Yeah you're a mess.

I won't vote for Trump. He's a clown. But I can't vote for someone who I believe should be in prison. That leaves me either not voting or voting Libertarian again. I've realized both parties are right about 20% of the time which means both are wrong a lot more than either is right. Sad state of affairs really.

Bill Clinton was at least practical enough to understand that you can't enslave the middle class to the government because it's unsustainable. Sixteen years later his wife is selling free college and we're closer than ever to free healthcare, both of which will of course cost more than ever. The government is completely out of control which is the fault of pro-government factions in both parties. Frankly I blame the Republican Party for abandoning small government.
Post removed:
by user
Pelayo
AG
So in Texas when I submit my vote for Gary Johnson how exactly am I voting for Hillary? Trump is getting the EC votes regardless who I vote for. Voting Trump is endorsing big government and telling the GOP you're ok with more of it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LOYAL AG
AG
Again I blame the Republicans for this. I've never voted Democrat but I stopped voted Republican when they stopped nominating candidates I could support. If the Republicans lose to the worst candidate in US history they have nobody to blame but themselves. I vote FOR candidates, not against them.
LOYAL AG
AG
Pelayo said:

So in Texas when I submit my vote for Gary Johnson how exactly am I voting for Hillary? Trump is getting the EC votes regardless who I vote for. Voting Trump is endorsing big government and telling the GOP you're ok with more of it.

Yep. The Reoublicans are as pro big government as the Democrats. All that's happened during my lifetime (46 years) is that the two parties have traded big government programs. Neither gives a damn about liberty.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Our HDHP HSA plan went up about 33%
The Wonderer
AG
jake2011 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Yeah you're a mess.

I won't vote for Trump. He's a clown. But I can't vote for someone who I believe should be in prison. That leaves me either not voting or voting Libertarian again. I've realized both parties are right about 20% of the time which means both are wrong a lot more than either is right. Sad state of affairs really.

Bill Clinton was at least practical enough to understand that you can't enslave the middle class to the government because it's unsustainable. Sixteen years later his wife is selling free college and we're closer than ever to free healthcare, both of which will of course cost more than ever. The government is completely out of control which is the fault of pro-government factions in both parties. Frankly I blame the Republican Party for abandoning small government.

If you vote Libertarian just vote for Hilary because that is what you are really doing anyway.
This kind of **** needs to stop.
histag10
AG
jake2011 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Yeah you're a mess.

If you vote Libertarian just vote for Hilary because that is what you are really doing anyway.

That's just ridiculous. I hate when people say this. When you vote for someone, you fate for them, not someone else. Granted, the libertarian party has pretty much zero chance, because they wont be able to win any electoral votes, despite possibly pulling double digits in popular vote.

Also, Gary Johnson is too far left leaning for me to even consider him. I'm thinking about writing in Mathis/Petraeus (or is that a vote for Hillary too?) *eye roll*
GarlandAg2012
AG
The premium for my HSDP with HSA is up 49%. Employer contribution is down by $250. Deductible is up by $200 and out of pocket max is up by $1000.

My insurance is still good and cheap compared to many (premium went from $18.09 biweekly to $27 biweekly), but it stinks that the price is going up so dramatically.

Talked to a coworker who is married, his is going up 42%.
Post removed:
by user
histag10
AG
jake2011 said:

histag10 said:

jake2011 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Yeah you're a mess.

That's just ridiculous. I hate when people say this. When you vote for someone, you fate for them, not someone else. Granted, the libertarian party has pretty much zero chance, because they wont be able to win any electoral votes, despite possibly pulling double digits in popular vote.

Also, Gary Johnson is too far left leaning for me to even consider him. I'm thinking about writing in Mathis/Petraeus (or is that a vote for Hillary too?) *eye roll*

You may think it is ridiculous but it is true as your candidate has zero chance of winning. Vote Hilary or Trump. They are the only two candidates with a shot at winning.
Maybe, but unless you live in a swing state, it is likely that your vote wont matter, as much as you would like to think that it does. If we elected a president based on a popular vote system, yes, your vote would matter as much as any person's. I live in a state that is decidedly Republican, and my vote really means nothing in the grand scheme of things here. My vote wont make or break the election, nor will it decide who gets the elector votes from my state.

I may not look at voting as idealistic as some, but the way I'm looking at it is realistic.
The Wonderer
AG
jake2011 said:

histag10 said:

jake2011 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Yeah you're a mess.

You may think it is ridiculous but it is true as your candidate has zero chance of winning. Vote Hilary or Trump. They are the only two candidates with a shot at winning.
Congrats on eating the cheese fed to you by the DNC and GOP. When people are continually told that a 3rd party candidate cannot win and that they should only vote top two parties, then the top two parties have effectively killed third party options.
Diggity
AG
buddy...your insurance is cheap. Be happy about that.

I pay close to $1,000/month for a family plan that has a deductible I hope to never reach.
The Wonderer
AG
And it will continue as people continue to think that there are only two..

I've voted R my whole life, but refuse to do so this year. A vote for an independent is not a vote for either Hillary or Trump.
RangerRick9211
AG
jake2011 said:

histag10 said:

jake2011 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Yeah you're a mess.

538 has Trump's chance of winning at 12.3%. I guess it's still a shot at winning, but he's going to lose the same as Johnson. So the "wasted" votes of this election are those cast for Trump, Johnson and any excess Clinton votes above what she needed to mathematically secure the election. All of those votes will have no determination or effect on the outcome of the results - "wasted". And if the polls stay true to projections, there will be upwards to +60% wasted votes.

So enjoy voting for [Insert Psychopath, D or R]. I'll be wasting my vote on someone I believe in. Because votes belong to the voters, not the two parties.
Zemira
AG
Our first open enrollment meeting is tomorrow. I don't anticipate it jumping up to much unless they totally gut our plans.

The problem I'm facing is I would like to leave my job, but I can't get affordable health insurance on the open market with my chronic condition.
Endo Ag
AG
Your chronic condition has nothing to do with your insurance rates on the marketplace. Smoking is literally the only health question asked. The problem is there are no unsubsidized affordable options.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.