Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Health Insurance Woes

9,493 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Wonderer
Pelayo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ark03 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Good information, I appreciate your perspective. some quetions/thoughts:

Bolded 1 - With the losses all carriers are incurring I seriously doubt we see any new entrants into this space anytime soon. Worse still with the government mandates of plan structures there is effectively no competition anyway. A few inconsequential differences aside bronze is bronze.

Bolded 2 - I'm not sure the health insurance industry has the ability to fix itself at this point. Far too much government control. They're forced to take expensive pre-existing conditions and their profits are capped in the off chance they did have a good year. ACA has done what it was intended to do which is destroy health insurance.

I don't disagree with either point. Honestly, the entire system is broken right now and I have no idea what it would take to fix it.
Very simple. Undo the law.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ark03
AG
Pelayo said:

Ark03 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Bolded 1 - With the losses all carriers are incurring I seriously doubt we see any new entrants into this space anytime soon. Worse still with the government mandates of plan structures there is effectively no competition anyway. A few inconsequential differences aside bronze is bronze.

Bolded 2 - I'm not sure the health insurance industry has the ability to fix itself at this point. Far too much government control. They're forced to take expensive pre-existing conditions and their profits are capped in the off chance they did have a good year. ACA has done what it was intended to do which is destroy health insurance.

I don't disagree with either point. Honestly, the entire system is broken right now and I have no idea what it would take to fix it.

ACA didn't break insurance or healthcare in the US. It exasperated the problems of an already broken system.
Pelayo
AG
Ark03 said:

Pelayo said:

Ark03 said:

LOYAL AG said:

ACA didn't break insurance or healthcare in the US. It exasperated the problems of an already broken system.
Not quite. It put an already overregulated and distorted market place, that was finding its way with HSA's and high deductible plans, into a place where it couldn't work around more government restrictions. So in the individual market place, you can absolutely say it broke health insurance. That's exactly what happened. Only the large employer and self insured plans work anymore.

A repeal of ACA would be a huge balm. A total fix to a rational market would require repeal of ERISA, EMTALA but most of all devolving CMS/Medicare/Medicaid and loosening the FDA.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LostInLA07
AG
Just like attempts to move to socialized medicine have been incremental, moving towards a more efficient system for health insurance will have to be incremental as well. I don't think a full repeal of Obamacare all at once will work. First steps need to be working with states to re-establish the high risk pools that were already in place prior to the ACA to provide coverage to those who couldn't get through underwriting on the individual market. Then repeal the requirement for individual market policies to cover pre-existing conditions.
Pelayo
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Just like attempts to move to socialized medicine have been incremental, moving towards a more efficient system for health insurance will have to be incremental as well. I don't think a full repeal of Obamacare all at once will work. First steps need to be working with states to re-establish the high risk pools that were already in place prior to the ACA to provide coverage to those who couldn't get through underwriting on the individual market. Then repeal the requirement for individual market policies to cover pre-existing conditions.
People tend to grossly underestimate what the market can do when unrestrained, just because it medical somehow does not make it any more complex than the laws that bind it. The few that were in high risk pols would be back in them and the 99% would be free of this law.
LOYAL AG
AG
LostInLA07 said:

No thanks. Kill it off and see what happens. That's what the left would do. Hell it's exactly what they have done. Pass some crushing piece of legislation then ignore the pain and suffering it causes while the rest of us try to adjust.
BBDP
AG
We have had Liberty Share for 3 years with some major events. 6 in our family. $550 per month with a $1,500 family deductible. There have been a few hassles but it's been the best "buy" I have made.

Highly recommend. They have paid everything we expected.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Bumping this. My insurance agent has assured me I have zero PPO options as a single member LLC. Our pediatrician will not take HMOs. My wife's dr won't take ACA or HMO. Curious what the others on this thread chose to do.
Roger That
AG
RGRAg1/75
AG
Yea, we all know how that worked out. Honestly don't want this thread to become any more political. Need serious input from others in similar situation. Thx.
bmks270
AG
Friend of mine said their premiums just got too expensive being and individual so they may just be going without insurance.
mhayden
RGRAg1/75 said:

Yea, we all know how that worked out. Honestly don't want this thread to become any more political. Need serious input from others in similar situation. Thx.

I feel for you. Trying to figure things out for just myself (run my own business) and it's a nightmare. 3rd plan cancelled in 3 years. Doctor I had an appointment setup for in July (took a year to see him) is now not on any new plan, and my current doctor isn't on any new plan. Can't imagine what it would be like to stress having to do this with a family.

Simply boggles my mind that having to pick a new doctor every year that has no idea about your medical history save for what information may or may not get transferred over and you get financially penalized if you do not do this... how is this not viewed as absolute insanity?
Aggiewes
AG
Ark03 - Nice work detailing the risks. I have talked to several who have used MediShare and have had excellent service - What do you propose for those of us who are looking at a $15K increase to be on ACA approved insurance as opposed to the health sharing plan. Frankly, I will take the risk for a year and jump back in the pool next year if needed.

Wes '87
CowtownAg06
AG
Someone suggested Take Command Health as a help for options on the last page. I highly recommend them as well.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We opted for a non ACA approved plan. It saved us $1k a month in premiums and we got to keep our doctors. I'm hoping they get rid of the penalty fees but even if they don't we saved a ton by going this route. It's through United and it won't cover pre existing conditions but it was a great option for my fairly healthy family. That's another option just in case bc we were facing our 3rd lost plan, and losing our doctors and paying more than our mortgage in premiums.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Yea, if it it were just me, my options would still be limited as a single member LLC, but not as much concern as ensuring my wife and kids have coverage.

And the stress has been ratcheted up a little bc my insurance broker told me on 1 DEC he found a solution, then told me yesterday that in fact he had not. I've got 2 days to figure something out.
RGRAg1/75
AG
I will look at that. Thanks.
combat wombat™
AG
2wealfth Man said:

I run my accounting practice as a sole proprietor and got the notice last week that our PPO was being dropped. This is the second year in a row we have had to go through this garbage. I am afraid I have no other options at this point but to go on a managed care plan to have some sort of coverage if the worst happens and pay out of my pocket to see my docs. Is this what we have come to under Obamacare? Anyone else dealing with this issue?
AICPA is offering some sort of medical insurance, I've gotten e-mail recently but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the details. Have you looked into that?
AggiePeeps06
AG
Hey guys, friendly reminder the deadline for signing up for a plan that begins January 1st is Thursday. We'd love to help you at www.takecommandhealth.com

Let me know if you have any questions.
The Wonderer
AG
Was informed yesterday that my company is ceasing to provide healthcare to any employees after 12/31. I have to find a new HSA eligible plan and sign up by tomorrow on just 2 days notice. This was literally the last benefit we had and they took it away.
AggiePeeps06
AG
@ The Wonderer, we'd be happy to help. Come see us at www.TakeCommandHealth.com
The Wonderer
AG
AggiePeeps06 said:

@ The Wonderer, we'd be happy to help. Come see us at www.TakeCommandHealth.com
Actually just wrapped up getting a plan through y'all.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.