Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Health Insurance Woes

9,500 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Wonderer
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I run my accounting practice as a sole proprietor and got the notice last week that our PPO was being dropped. This is the second year in a row we have had to go through this garbage. I am afraid I have no other options at this point but to go on a managed care plan to have some sort of coverage if the worst happens and pay out of my pocket to see my docs. Is this what we have come to under Obamacare? Anyone else dealing with this issue?
libertyag
AG
I think that is the best way to go, and always has been, to have coverage that kicks in only in the event of huge medical bills (cancer, heart disease, accident). For too long people have been spoiled with the insurance covering most, or all, of those sniffle and sneeze doctor visits. Escrow funds to meet the deductible and copay.
Pelayo
AG
libertyag said:

I think that is the best way to go, and always has been, to have coverage that kicks in only in the event of huge medical bills (cancer, heart disease, accident). For too long people have been spoiled with the insurance covering most, or all, of those sniffle and sneeze doctor visits. Escrow funds to meet the deductible and copay.
In principle I could not agree any more.

In reality the "coverage that kicks in only in the event of huge medical bills" under ACA is anything but that. It pretends to cover the sniffles, annual exams, and limits your choice of healthcare options then charges you 15 x its real value. And then should you get cancer, your choices for subspecialty care are restricted.

But yes the most economical choices are a bronze plan and pretending you don't have insurance for ordinary care if you don't think you would be choosy in the event of something catastrophic.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
george92
Im a sole practitioner as well in the exact same boat. I've survived year to year using Costco services health insurance plans. You can check it out on their website for individual and business plans. It's gotten a little worse every year with 2016 me choosing an epo. I'm still paying significantly less than when I was a partner in a large regional firm. I currently have no employees so I set up a benefits corporation to make everything tax deductible under a merp. Also, joining a peo thru administaff or adp will get you access to some group plans not on the exchange. Same with the aicpa and tscpa.
LostInLA07
AG
libertyag said:

That'd be great if it actually covered quality care at good providers. You do t need insurance for a cold...you need it for cancer. But MD Anderson doesn't accept Obamacare.
mhayden
Here.

Had a high deductible plan from Assurant that I loved -- I rarely go to the doctor so it was only for catastrophic injuries. Then Assurant got out of the game when ObamaCare hit and I was forced to go on an Obamacare health plan through Scott and White at double the cost.

Just 8 months later I get a letter stating that plan is going away too and I'll need to choose a new one in 3-4 months.

I mean, people who run small businesses and sole proprietorships don't have anything better to do with their time than constantly research health plans, right?
Talon 07
I don't have much advice other than to say I know exactly what you're dealing with.

I did get diagnosed with cancer and was kicked off of BlueCross's PPO when they shut it down. Thankfully, I had already had my surgery and radiation before the end of 2015 when the plan ended.

Like LA wrote, MD Anderson does not take the HMO plans offered by Obamacare. By the grace of God, Humana offered a Bronze PPO only on their website with a 6k deductible. It wasn't pretty but it kept me at MD Anderson this year while I do checkups every quarter (my type has a high chance of coming back). I'm worried about next year because I see the articles about such and such insurer is no longer offering a PPO plan next year in various states. I won't be surprised if Humana goes this route also but I pray they don't. If it is an option, you should consider it because it's the only PPO plan I could find.

Thanks for some the suggestions yall gave, I'll have to check it out for next year.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Lost my BCBS PPO last year and am losing my United plan this year. I'm so sick of dealing with crappy cancelled plans every year as well for our family. I'm actually looking forward to leaving the United plan bc it has been a complete disaster dealing with them this year and we are a healthy family that doesn't go to the doctors very often. I can't imagine being sick and dealing with them all the time. We have had private insurance since before Ocare and it's a travesty as to what it's done for the self employed.
Pelayo
AG
Unless the self employed can find a way to join a group plan where premiums are based on a limited risk pool and not "community ratings", and networks can be as wide open as the employer association desires(like pre Obamacare) there are few if any desirable options.

we've been self insuring through a third party administrator(CIGNA is the network) for a couple of years now and it has worked out well, out cost are about 40% of what they would be for equivalent ACA plans. We have a little over 50 insured but they will take as few as 10 I believe.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
2wealfth Man
AG
george92 said:

Im a sole practitioner as well in the exact same boat. I've survived year to year using Costco services health insurance plans. You can check it out on their website for individual and business plans. It's gotten a little worse every year with 2016 me choosing an epo. I'm still paying significantly less than when I was a partner in a large regional firm. I currently have no employees so I set up a benefits corporation to make everything tax deductible under a merp. Also, joining a peo thru administaff or adp will get you access to some group plans not on the exchange. Same with the aicpa and tscpa.
George92 - do you know what the plans are like through the AICPA and TSCPA? I am afraid with our next President things will only get worse.
2wealfth Man
AG
Talon 07 said:

I don't have much advice other than to say I know exactly what you're dealing with.

I did get diagnosed with cancer and was kicked off of BlueCross's PPO when they shut it down. Thankfully, I had already had my surgery and radiation before the end of 2015 when the plan ended.

Like LA wrote, MD Anderson does not take the HMO plans offered by Obamacare. By the grace of God, Humana offered a Bronze PPO only on their website with a 6k deductible. It wasn't pretty but it kept me at MD Anderson this year while I do checkups every quarter (my type has a high chance of coming back). I'm worried about next year because I see the articles about such and such insurer is no longer offering a PPO plan next year in various states. I won't be surprised if Humana goes this route also but I pray they don't. If it is an option, you should consider it because it's the only PPO plan I could find.

Thanks for some the suggestions yall gave, I'll have to check it out for next year.
Talon - I am on the Humana PPO and got the letter from them last week saying the PPO was going to be discontinued as of Dec 31.
tommyjohn
We lost coverage through my wife's employer in Oct 2105. Come 1/1/17 we will be on our third plan in 15 months.

BCBS PPO >Aetna MH EPO>TBD

Both previous plans not being offered anymore necessitated the change.
oldag00
AG
Quote:

I am afraid with our next President things will only get worse.
This is all but guaranteed. Our healthcare delivery system is FUBARed.
LOYAL AG
AG
The PEO idea isn't a bad one but that's an awfully expensive way to be self-employed. I'm in a similar spot except that my teacher wife carries her and the kids. I still do an individual plan because adding here to her HSA plan is stupid expensive. If she quits teaching one day I can see us ending up in a PEO.
YouBet
AG
Absolutely maddening this is where we've ended up but it's all part of the plan. ACA was the DOA plan so we could have UHC "save us". My wife and i are lucky (for now) because we both work for large corporations but we will eventually get pummeled as well.

As a former healthcare industry worker, I truly feel sorry for y'all.
Brush Country Ag
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Talon 07 said:

Talon - I am on the Humana PPO and got the letter from them last week saying the PPO was going to be discontinued as of Dec 31.

So did we. Sucks.
JustPanda
AG
So glad our company has a great plan. I keep hearing horror stories.
BigPuma
AG
ZoneClub said:

I mean my company has a great plan, but the costs keep going up. and we are quite generous and pay for 100% of employee. If employee wants to include spouse, then it is 100% of the cost which in the last couple of years has gone up almost 30%
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
If you are a Christian without a lot of pre-existing conditions, it's worth looking into Medi-Share. A good friend of mine has had it for several years. I used to make fun of his "fake insurance". Now my family is on it. One of my favorite things about it is that it basically gives the middle finger to Obamacare.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Why do you have to be Christian ?
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
It's a requirement of the plan....it's a sharing of bills (NOT insurance) and it is Christian based. You also have to agree that you won't be covered if you do non-Christian type things (for instance, go out and get hammered, drive your car into a telephone pole...)
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
ZoneClub said:

Yeah, our premiums keep going up. It's okay though, cause in return we get higher deductibles.
TwoMarksHand
AG
HomeFinderCody said:

It's a requirement of the plan....it's a sharing of bills (NOT insurance) and it is Christian based. You also have to agree that you won't be covered if you do non-Christian type things (for instance, go out and get hammered, drive your car into a telephone pole...)
I would love to see that list of "non-Christian" things.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I could have used better language. When people ask, I usually just say "don't do stupid or immoral stuff and you're okay". I'm good with it. If I decide to make a bad decision and I get hurt as a result, that should be on me.

The Medi-Share monthly cost is just over $400 for my family. It's a high deductible plan. I also priced BCBS and some other options....all of them were well over $1000 per month for high deductible plans.

It's certainly not for everyone. But for my family it was a pretty clear best option.
mhayden
That was the other thing I really miss about my old health care -- I could do hard drugs, commit random acts of arson and sleep with unsavory women and I knew I'd still be covered.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Those were the days....
JD Shellnut
AG
My humana ppo plan is being canceled. Not sure what to do next. I don't think md Anderson accepts any individual bought plans. What happens if I get cancer in 2017? Would I just be screwed?
libertyag
AG
free_mhayden said:

That was the other thing I really miss about my old health care -- I could do hard drugs, commit random acts of arson and sleep with unsavory women and I knew I'd still be covered.
Just don't carry any insurance. No point in giving up the good life!
mhayden
libertyag said:

free_mhayden said:

Just don't carry any insurance. No point in giving up the good life!

I live for that rush... but I need a safety net!
mhayden
Anyone interested in posting some basic stats (age/health/etc...) and what kind of plans you are either on or are seeing? I haven't started looking for my 3rd new plan in 3 years, but it's on my to-do list in the next few weeks.

Hearing some very scary stories about rates doubling and tripling (from what was already a way inflated rate from what i paid back in my Assurant/high-deductible days).
AggiePeeps06
AG
Hey guys, I've been in your shoes as an entrepreneur and small business owner and that's why we built Take Command Health.

We used to be a TexAgs sponsor and have helped several folks find better health plans. Check out our website at TakeCommandHealth.com

We guide you through a simple survey process that asks questions about your doctors, prescriptions and conditions, and then make sure we recommend a health plan that best fits your needs. We offer all plans including: on-exchange, off-exchange and faith-based plans. Open enrollment starts November 1 and we recommend everyone shops for a new plan to make sure they are getting the best health plan at the best price for themselves and/or families.

Feel free to email me also for any help. My email is Todd@TakeCommandHealth.com
JustPanda
AG
We haven't had a price increase since 2011.
Ark03
AG
HomeFinderCody said:

I could have used better language. When people ask, I usually just say "don't do stupid or immoral stuff and you're okay". I'm good with it. If I decide to make a bad decision and I get hurt as a result, that should be on me.

The Medi-Share monthly cost is just over $400 for my family. It's a high deductible plan. I also priced BCBS and some other options....all of them were well over $1000 per month for high deductible plans.

It's certainly not for everyone. But for my family it was a pretty clear best option.
I helped one of my pastors look into Medi-Share. I administer a fairly large self-insured program at my employer, so I have some perspective I can bring.

Medi-Share is essentially an unregulated self-insured medical program. They do not meet the definition of affordable care provided in ACA, but ACA provides an exemption for members of healthcare sharing ministries, which gives an exemption to the excise tax for failing to have coverage. Along that same line, subsidies that are available to help purchase coverage under ACA are not available to be used for premiums in Medi-Share.

As Medi-Share is completely unregulated and exempt from ACA, they have absolutely no obligation to pay claims - just their own procedures that can change from time to time. They can make arbitrary decisions subject to their own policies, and the only appeal that can be made is a single appeal to other members of the program. If your case isn't compelling enough, or if you just get a bad draw on the "jury," you are SOL. For perspective, the appeals process is one of the more protected components in traditional insurance. In an insured medical program, you can first appeal to the carrier, then to the state's Independent Review Organization. In a self-insured program from an employer, then you may have an additional layer where you can appeal to the administrator at your employer.

How does Medi-Share offer benefits for a lower cost? They exclude coverage for many expensive pre-existing conditions. They can make arbitrary decisions on paying expensive claims, or paying for expensive drugs that may help someone have a successful transplant, or may be the most effective cancer treatment. They avoid the costs associated with running a regulated program, including annual reporting and independent audits. They claim to be members of the huge PHPS network, but many have reported that some providers that take PHPS won't take Medi-Share.

As more people seek them out in the wake of Obamacare, they have the risk of adverse selection in their member pool and negative claims experience, which means the less healthy people flock to them and costs for everyone go up. In a worst case scenario, they run out of money and have nothing more than their promise to pay claims. No department of insurance is there to oversea them and make sure they do pay claims, and they don't have the backing of a company with profits or stop-loss coverage to pay claims.

The legislation excluding them from ACA only applies to companies that had been in existence since 1999 - so that means they pretty much have a monopoly on the market, with no competition to do things better.

Lastly, while Medi-Share looks like a high deductible health plan, it does not make members eligible to participate in a health savings account. There was a movement with H.R. 1752 that tried to change that last year, but it never got out of committee.

Personally, I do hope that programs like this put pressure on the insurance industry to fix itself. But, as long as I have an alternative available through my employer, I'm not taking the gamble on medical coverage with my family. I have coverage so a catastrophic event doesn't bankrupt me. As long as Medi-Share is unregulated with no competition and no recourse for not doing what's right, I don't see that Medi-Share fully mitigates that risk.
LOYAL AG
AG
Ark03 said:

HomeFinderCody said:

I helped one of my pastors look into Medi-Share. I administer a fairly large self-insured program at my employer, so I have some perspective I can bring.

Medi-Share is essentially an unregulated self-insured medical program. They do not meet the definition of affordable care provided in ACA, but ACA provides an exemption for members of healthcare sharing ministries, which gives an exemption to the excise tax for failing to have coverage. Along that same line, subsidies that are available to help purchase coverage under ACA are not available to be used for premiums in Medi-Share.

As Medi-Share is completely unregulated and exempt from ACA, they have absolutely no obligation to pay claims - just their own procedures that can change from time to time. They can make arbitrary decisions subject to their own policies, and the only appeal that can be made is a single appeal to other members of the program. If your case isn't compelling enough, or if you just get a bad draw on the "jury," you are SOL. For perspective, the appeals process is one of the more protected components in traditional insurance. In an insured medical program, you can first appeal to the carrier, then to the state's Independent Review Organization. In a self-insured program from an employer, then you may have an additional layer where you can appeal to the administrator at your employer.

How does Medi-Share offer benefits for a lower cost? They exclude coverage for many expensive pre-existing conditions. They can make arbitrary decisions on paying expensive claims, or paying for expensive drugs that may help someone have a successful transplant, or may be the most effective cancer treatment. They avoid the costs associated with running a regulated program, including annual reporting and independent audits. They claim to be members of the huge PHPS network, but many have reported that some providers that take PHPS won't take Medi-Share.

As more people seek them out in the wake of Obamacare, they have the risk of adverse selection in their member pool and negative claims experience, which means the less healthy people flock to them and costs for everyone go up. In a worst case scenario, they run out of money and have nothing more than their promise to pay claims. No department of insurance is there to oversea them and make sure they do pay claims, and they don't have the backing of a company with profits or stop-loss coverage to pay claims.

The legislation excluding them from ACA only applies to companies that had been in existence since 1999 - so that means they pretty much have a monopoly on the market, with no competition to do things better.

Lastly, while Medi-Share looks like a high deductible health plan, it does not make members eligible to participate in a health savings account. There was a movement with H.R. 1752 that tried to change that last year, but it never got out of committee.

Personally, I do hope that programs like this put pressure on the insurance industry to fix itself. But, as long as I have an alternative available through my employer, I'm not taking the gamble on medical coverage with my family. I have coverage so a catastrophic event doesn't bankrupt me. As long as Medi-Share is unregulated with no competition and no recourse for not doing what's right, I don't see that Medi-Share fully mitigates that risk.

Good information, I appreciate your perspective. some quetions/thoughts:

Bolded 1 - With the losses all carriers are incurring I seriously doubt we see any new entrants into this space anytime soon. Worse still with the government mandates of plan structures there is effectively no competition anyway. A few inconsequential differences aside bronze is bronze.

Bolded 2 - I'm not sure the health insurance industry has the ability to fix itself at this point. Far too much government control. They're forced to take expensive pre-existing conditions and their profits are capped in the off chance they did have a good year. ACA has done what it was intended to do which is destroy health insurance.
Ark03
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Good information, I appreciate your perspective. some quetions/thoughts:

Bolded 1 - With the losses all carriers are incurring I seriously doubt we see any new entrants into this space anytime soon. Worse still with the government mandates of plan structures there is effectively no competition anyway. A few inconsequential differences aside bronze is bronze.

Bolded 2 - I'm not sure the health insurance industry has the ability to fix itself at this point. Far too much government control. They're forced to take expensive pre-existing conditions and their profits are capped in the off chance they did have a good year. ACA has done what it was intended to do which is destroy health insurance.

I don't disagree with either point. Honestly, the entire system is broken right now and I have no idea what it would take to fix it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.