Business & Investing
Sponsored by

PersonalCapital.com advisors keep bothering me

1,783 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JSKolache
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I opened an account with them to track my investments and I have been getting emails and calls from "advisors" asking to manage my money and to schedule a call with them.

I manage my own money and don't need them. Is there a way to shut off the calls and emails? They don't have an unsubscribe link or anything in the account that allows this.

Anyone else annoyed by this constant emailing? Is the only way to delete the account?
themissinglink
AG
I have an account with them and they don't bother me anymore. I scheduled a meeting with their advisor and it lasted less than 5 min. I told them I'm a CPA, took a lot of finance classes in college and manage my own money.

Contacting you is their business model and how they can offer their platform "free". They don't have ads the same way mint does. They make money by managing your money.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Just block their phone number from your cell phone.

I actually decided to give them a shot managing my Roth IRA. So far I like the add-ons you get by having them manage your account. I speak with their planners once a quarter and they're good about addressing all parts of a financial picture like my work 401k, 529s, insurance, etc. They'll take a look at them and let you know what they think.

Fees aren't bad either, less than 100 bps, and given the size of my account, it's reasonable. I plan to give them a year to convince me to keep it there. I've never had a financial planner before and like having someone look over my shoulder every once in a while.

BombayAg
Thanks missinglink and GigEm

I am an MBA in Finance as well, and I keep up with the markets and I have worked in some investment data companies so I know how this works. I prefer to manage my money myself.

I have had mint since 2010 and pc seems to have a nicer interface for charts.

I understand that this is their business model and I would expect that they would gauge my interest level after I'd ignored a few calls and emails. The calls seem to have stopped but the emails keep coming in. I'll just put a filter and send it to Trash.

How's the security with the site? If it gets hacked, are our investment accounts at risk?
wessimo
AG
0.89% annual management fee is extremely steep. If you invested $10k over a 30 year period assuming 7% return that management fee would chew up 24% of your returns, leaving you with $58k instead of $76k.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Show me cheaper options where you get money management and financial planning...
neutics
AG
Personal Capital's financial planning is pretty weak IMO. Their 'advisors' don't hold industry recognized certifications nor do they claim to be holistic (meaning addressing every aspect of your financial life).

You'd be better off using Vanguards PAS which is about 1/3 of the cost, albeit with limited advice.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Agreed that they are mostly not certified and are really there to look over shoulder and provide advice. But I like their approach to management and see the planning side of it as a free add-on. Like I said, I've never had someone serve in financial planning role for me before so it's a nice alternative.
JSKolache
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Show me cheaper options where you get money management and financial planning...
DIY. 90% of advisors are going to park you in funds you can buy into yourself. Cut out the middle man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.