Business & Investing
Sponsored by

LLC setup in Houston

1,739 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Wonderer
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend of mine (and possibly myself in the future) is looking to start a business in Texas. I was wondering if there were any lawyer recommendations and price estimates?

I thinking at a minimum having the operating documents prepared, filing the correct paperwork with the Secretary of State. Then having a CPA file to get an EIN from the IRS.

Am I missing something?
libertyag
AG
quote:
A friend of mine (and possibly myself in the future) is looking to start a business in Texas. I was wondering if there were any lawyer recommendations and price estimates?

I thinking at a minimum having the operating documents prepared, filing the correct paperwork with the Secretary of State. Then having a CPA file to get an EIN from the IRS.

Am I missing something?
Your friend, or you, can get your own EIN online at the IRS website, it pretty much leads you through the process. If your friend, or you in the future, has no experience with LLC's, S corps, how the taxation works, whether you expect losses initially, etc., then you need a sit down session with a CPA so that you choose the right entity and know what you can or can't do.

Good luck on your venture, I hope it goes well.
Cancelled
AG
You can call my firm. We handle small business formations and would be happy to help. I'm in corpus today for a hearing, but if you call the office ask for Suzanne. Tell her it's ok to give you my cell. I can be available after noon.

Www.sbmoonlaw.com
Zemira
AG
I will pass this along to my friend, as I'm not ready to make the leap yet.

Thanks!
Zemira
AG
Thanks I recommended my friend consultant an attorney and a CPA with specific tax advice questions before he proceeds.

I'm kind of familiar with the tax laws, but my specialty isn't tax so will definitely get tax advice if I go this route.
jonj101
Question concerning this - are there any major pitfalls to using a service like Legal Zoom or similar to set up a business?
Guitarsoup
AG
jonj101 said:

Question concerning this - are there any major pitfalls to using a service like Legal Zoom or similar to set up a business?

An attorney friend said that legal zoom is not quite right for Texas
The Wonderer
AG
jonj101 said:

Setting up a business is more than just filing paperwork with the state. You need to talk to someone that know the ins and outs of the TBOC and the pros and cons of different legal entity types that would fit with what your goals are. Also, I always recommend working with your CPA and attorney to ensure everyone is on the same page.

Most entity creations are between $500-$1500+ (not inclusive of state mandated fees) for the legal papers to be drawn and filings made. A competent attorney will charge you between $250 and $500 an hour to fix any problems you may have if you do it yourself and issues arise with the state or county or feds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.