Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Class Action Lawsuit - Notification

3,039 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Drawkcab
AccountantAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've gotten a few of these over the years (ticketmaster, AT&T etc). Those two were the most recent, I don't even remember doing anything for either but we got several of the 2.50 coupons and I think we got a check from AT&T for $1.73 or something ridiculous.

Anyway, I've always viewed these as spam/worthless since I'd be getting pennies. I just got a letter about a suit against floor decor if you bought their laminate wood floor products. On the notice it says you could get $1.50 per sq ft purchased as a cash settlement (or $3 per sq ft store credit) I had bought about 1500 sq ft of flooring so if this were legit it'd be worth it.

Has anyone actually gotten more than a handful of nickels from something like this before? Just wondering if I should even waste my time looking into it. Also I read that article about the victims from the movie theatre shooting being on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees when they lost. I'd like to avoid that if possible.
John Maplethorpe
AG
"Could" is the operative word. Is there any language that makes this look like more than a run of the mill CALS? I've never seen any payouts more than $5. But small, specific CALSs can have big payouts.
AccountantAg
AG
The only language that caught my eye compared to ones in the past was the specificity of the $ amount. Normally these letters read "you could be eligible to some of this money" or "you may be eligible for up to $X.XX".

This letter says "if you purchased laminate wood from floor decor between January 2012 - August 2015, you may be entitled to your option of 1.50 in cash or 3.00 in store credit per square foot purchased"

The "may be entitled" to me reads that you purchased the "correct" laminate wood that is a part of the suit.

Is there any risk to me if I submit the claim for benefits? Obviously I could get nothing or a check for a couple bucks but if this is accurate then I could get a couple thousand which wouldn't be anything to sneeze at.
redag06
Most I've ever received has been $35 on a class action lawsuit. But looking at Classactionrebates.com, it looks like, there are amounts of all different values(possible)
SanAntonioAg09
If a class has been certified, that means attorneys have been designated as counsel for the class. Call them with any questions, shouldn't be hard to find with a Google search
aggiepaintrain
AG
i got like $350 from the diamond price fixing class action.
John Maplethorpe
AG
No risk. But you do give up your right to sue individually that you would never exercise anyway.
DrZ
AG
I got $950 from Apple on a suit involving the purchase of "smurf berries" for a game on a cell phone. It took 8 years to receive payment. We never really thought we would get a dime and one day a check showed up.
erin2003
AG
we got $100 for a suit against Lifetime Fitness for price fixing.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The plaintiffs lawyers are generally the ones who reap all the rewards of these things, I think the going rate is about 60%
AccountantAg
AG
Update: I just got a check for $2,100 today!
Tonyperkis
AG
Good thing you read your mail closely! Congrats!
Drawkcab
Congrats!

I got an email from PayPal last week that I was being refunded $0.01 on a purchase I made so I got that going for me!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.