Business & Investing
Sponsored by

State Farm online payments and stolen cc info

1,313 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by sts7049
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a long shot, but...

Does anyone routinely pay their State Farm bills on the State Farm website using a credit card? If so, have any of you had your cc information compromised shortly after making a payment?

I've had my cc number compromised three times since January. I'm trying to find common purchases each time the card number has been stolen, and State Farm looks like it could be the culprit. Although sometimes there has been a several week delay between paying my insurance bill and seeing fraudulent charges on my cc, so it's not obvious that this is where the info is being stolen.
Natasha Romanoff
I have always done it that way and never had a problem.
GtownRAB
AG
Same here, no problems.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I'd look at in person charges. Seems way more likely than an online payment processor (where you would have hundreds or thousands being impacted). Do you use it for gas at the same station? That and restaurants would be my first checks.
TXTransplant
quote:
I'd look at in person charges. Seems way more likely than an online payment processor (where you would have hundreds or thousands being impacted). Do you use it for gas at the same station? That and restaurants would be my first checks.

Gas and grocery shopping are all done at the same place, and HEB has a corporate protocol for checking cc readers. I rarely eat out, and it's usually in a group, and no one else I eat with is having the problem.

I actually do think I have it figured out, though. I think the info is being stolen by an employee of an online retailer. I found some transactions that match dates my card was compromised, and I also found out where some items ordered during one of the fraudulent charges were shipped. Also, whoever is getting my cc info also has my billing address. I wouldn't think they would get that if it was being stolen at a gas station or restaurant.

I'm going to follow up later today.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Hope you get it all resolved!

If you don't mind, share back when you do - awareness is a good way to fight these things, so I'm always interesting in hearing what is going on in these situations!
TXTransplant
Well, I contacted the online vendor that I think is the source of the repeated compromises, and of course, they are adamant that it can't possibly be a problem on their end.

I have an open case with my cc company. I can only get so much information about the fraudulent order that was placed over the weekend (I have the city and state where it was supposed to be shipped, what was ordered, the total price, and an area code that may or may not be for a valid phone number). Anything more specific supposedly requires a subpoena. I've informed my cc company that I want to file a police report so that the name/address that the fraudulent purchases were supposed to be shipped to can be disclosed. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Curious - why are spending so much time on this? I've had this happen to me multiple times and I just change cc numbers and move on. It's certainly a hassle.
TXTransplant
quote:
Curious - why are spending so much time on this? I've had this happen to me multiple times and I just change cc numbers and move on. It's certainly a hassle.

Because this is the third time my number has been stolen since Jan of this year, and the fourth time since last summer. Prior to then, I had never had my cc number compromised like this. I am sick and tired of having to change my cc number every three months. I have too many recurring payments and auto-billing that gets screwed up every time. I don't know anyone else who has had their number stolen four times in a year, and I want to figure out where the breach is happening so I can stop it.
akaggie05
AG
This thread reminds me, a month or so ago multiple gas stations very close to my house were found to have skimmers installed internally that could store cc data and then transmit it via Bluetooth when the crooks returned. Just because they found these devices at 4-5 stations and removed them doesn't mean the threat is over. Someone spent some serious time and effort on how to construct these things and get them wired up to work seamlessly with the embedded computer contained in the pumps. Added bonus... I'm sure plans and a how-to guide are floating around the web somewhere.

http://www.wfaa.com/mb/news/crime/devices-to-steal-credit-card-numbers-found-in-numerous-dallas-gas-pumps/287573718
sts7049
AG
what was the online retailer?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.