Business & Investing
Sponsored by

CPA Exams Becker

5,404 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag12thman
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I plan to start sitting for the exams April-May. Due to a fairly demanding work schedule, I will likely spread them out quite a bit and likely into 2018. Would it be a problem to buy the Becker material for all 4 exams at once if I cross into 2018, i.e will the materials become obsolete? I can't imagine anything too drastic would change to make the materials worthless.

Also, random question, are large companies (Fortune 10 large), required to maintain a certain number of CPAs? I'm working on a business case for my CFO to cover the Becker expenses since they've put all education reimbursement on hold (oil prices) and was going to put in a piece on the cost to bring on a new cpa vs covering my expenses. I obviously will ask my head of control as well but thought I'd asks here as well while I'm at it.
Old Buffalo
AG
I think there are major changes coming to BEC/AUDin 2017 and may bleed into 2018. Not sure, but definitely check.

There are no requirements for # of CPAs.

Boats and Hose
AG
Unless REG is your first exam, i'd hold off on buying that one too. That one gets updated from time to time.
libertyag
AG
I used the Becker materials but really can't provide much information on this. I took it so long ago that we used quill pens to write our answers with, lol. Good luck on it.
The Collective
AG
Not much advice on ?, but best of luck and Becker worked well for me.
cohibasymas
AG
I concur with the advice to check on when changes are coming (see Becker's website). As far as stretching them out; I'd do my best not to stretch them out too far, as burnout could set in, and the exams could change. Set a schedule, stick to it, and knock the exams out.

You can do this!

From Becker's website:
quote:
The changes to the 2017 CPA Exam may make it more difficult than the current exam, with more Task-Based Simulations (TBS) and a focus on higher-order cognitive skills, including critical thinking, problem solving and analytical ability.
If possible, you should plan to take and pass all four parts of the CPA Exam in 2016 or early 2017, especially the BEC Exam given the addition of TBS to the BEC section in 2017. Find out if you are eligible to sit for the CPA Exam in your state during these time frames.
In addition to these changes, the CPA Exam will be longer, increasing from 14 to 16 hours to complete. The AICPA believes this shift in what the Exam will test and the method of testing will keep the next version of the Exam aligned with the knowledge and skills required for initial licensure.
If you do not pass all four parts of the CPA Exam before the launch of the 2017 Exam, you will be able to keep your passing scores on all sections of the Exam that you have passed (unless your 18 month window has expired).

captkirk
AG
Study and knock it all out. Get it behind you
johnson2012
AG
Does Becker not update course materials for current customers? I am wrapping up with Roger and they send out a material update once or twice a year. Even if you have 2015 books you can download 2016 updates and be good as new.

Also, echoing what others have said, aim for shorter vs longer. Coworker went the drawn out route and had to retake FAR due to loosing credit because she had to take multiple tries on another test.
canadianAg
AG
I think you're right. I did a little more research and it looks like they will update the software but you have to purchase new books which are relatively inexpensive I believe.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I would definitely prefer to finish early. Obviously every case is different but does about a month of studying sound about right? I'm pretty confident I could squeeze in about 75-100 hours in a month's time. Ideally, I could start studying during one of the dead months and take a test very early and then study for a second during the same window (and possibly even stretch study time to 6 weeks). I don't really know how if I could every do more than 2 tests in a window though.
Old Buffalo
AG
Would definitely stretch to six weeks and 2 in each testing window. You can pair a tough section (FAR/REG) with an easier section (AUD/BEC) to complete two in a window.

My study plan was:
Day 1: Watch Video 1 (3-4 hours)
Day 2: Do all questions related to Video 1 (2-3 hours)
Repeat until all videos are done for course
Practice exam to identify areas of weakness
Restudy identified sections
Practice exam
Random Quizlets (50Qs)
No study night/day before.
Squirrel Master
AG
Two tests in a window is a good plan. As for study time, you probably know your study habits and needs more than anyone else. What was your study plan in college for exams? Also remember, a 75 is just as good as a 100.

Also relevant, do you have a strong competency in one or more of the areas. For example, by the time I sat for AUD, I'd been working in audit for nearly four years. I studied the different governing bodies that were like the first chapter of the book... and that it was it. Maybe one hour total, but my work experience had given me much more practical education than reading the Becker materials would have ever given me. I made an 80 something with ease. I don't say that as a brag, but don't feel like you gotta memorize all the course materials if there is a section you know you should kick ass on on your own merits.

I studied significantly more for REG.
Post removed:
by user
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks for starting this thread. I am right there with you, brother. I have to buckle down and get this thing done. I tried to knock it out a good while back and I let life-happenings get in the way and got off track.

I am using Becker as well, so maybe we can share tips/pointers and/or study methodologies.

I do know that when Becker issues updates to the software (which is all basically online now), you can either purchase the updated books for $15 each (including tax) or they always list the changes on their website and you can print them to use along with the current version of the book you're already using.
Ag12thman
AG
How long ago did you take the Exam? Just curious. Thanks for sharing your study routine. There are a lot of ways to go about it with Becker, so this surely helps me.
Old Buffalo
AG
I took the exam in 2013, so I don't think much has changed as far as Becker presentation.

Depending on your schedule, it's hard to fit in more than 4 hours of studying in a day. Studying from 6-10 every night worked well for me with study breaks in between.
Ag12thman
AG
Yeah, I'm working full-time and have a family, so 4 hours would probably be max on weekdays. Did you just use Becker or did you supplement with other materials and/or test banks? Also, how close together did you take the 4 exams? Thanks for the advice!
SnowboardAg
AG
I would do no "educational" material.

Do question after question, question after question. If you miss the question, go back and understand exactly why you missed it and read the material behind it then.

First time I failed it by just studying the material and doing the questions. I saw much greater success and passed it by just doing question after question. I probably saw 10 questions on the exam that I did in practice questions.
benlbates
AG
Feel free to check out the course that I built with a friend:

Excel Start
Zemira
AG
I didn't know how to use excel was a CPA test requirement.
BigPuma
AG
canadianAg said:

I think you're right. I did a little more research and it looks like they will update the software but you have to purchase new books which are relatively inexpensive I believe.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I would definitely prefer to finish early. Obviously every case is different but does about a month of studying sound about right? I'm pretty confident I could squeeze in about 75-100 hours in a month's time. Ideally, I could start studying during one of the dead months and take a test very early and then study for a second during the same window (and possibly even stretch study time to 6 weeks). I don't really know how if I could every do more than 2 tests in a window though.
i passed 3 exams in one window. You can do it but it will be rough. I also wasn't working for 6 weeks during this time between jobs.
Ag12thman
AG
I assume you are basically recommending to not watch videos and not read the material at all and just jump straight into working the practice questions included with the software? Sort of pushing a trial-and-error learning technique?
Sea Gull
AG
I watched the videos for REG and FAR, but for AUD and BEC, I just did the practice problems. I used Yaeger CPA review. It was ok, but one of the video instructors was annoying AF and read straight from the book. I ignored her. I'm in the camp of knocking them out as soon as possible. Don't string it out for a year. Just accept that you won't have a life for 6 months and kill it.
khkman22
AG
How much experience do you have? In my opinion, practical experience is much more valuable than the study courses. It was 10 years after I graduated before I took it because I didn't necessarily expect to stay in accounting forever.

By the time I started taking it, I had 3 kids under 5. I studied maybe 40-50 hours per section (I watched the videos because it helps me to see others do it, so everybody is different in that regard) because I was always tired and just couldn't motivate myself to do much more.

I only took one per testing window because I didn't want to start studying for a different section and find out I failed the previous section. Luckily I passed all on the first try and was finished within a year. I am not a good test taker either as my SAT and GMAT were nothing special. I don't think there is any way I would have passed all without failing at least 2-3 sections straight out of school.

Also, don't forget you only need a 75. Don't study to get just a 75, but also don't necessarily spend a lot of time trying to get all the details on something that is probably not likely to have more than a question or two asked. Because even though it may be nice to say you got a 95, that's not going to matter once you have your license.
Ag12thman
AG
I have some good experience, but it's in tax more than anything else. It has also been about 10 years since I graduated as I just have not buckled down and gotten the test out of the way before now. Life got busy, we had kids, etc. Things are still busy and won't get any less busy, so now is as good of a time as any.

I learn more form doing rather than watching, so I am thinking I just need to hit the practice questions pretty heavily. I'm pretty amazed that you knocked them all out with only 40-50 hours of studying per section. Most people are saying spend 100-200 hours studying for each section, depending on the section. I friend of mine spent 200 hours studying for FAR, but he did say he probably over-studied. Think he said he made an 86 on the Exam.
Ham Slice MRE
AG
Peter Olinto

Old Buffalo
AG
Olinto or GTFO. Gearty is a boring old hag.
Ag12thman
AG
Just curious how things are going for anyone who's still studying. Also, just wondering -- what is your plan of attack for the upcoming very significant changes to the exam (if you will be sitting for any sections of the exam after April 1, 2017)?
canadianAg
AG
Can't offer any real advice but will provide an update. I'm finishing my up my final class at HCC in March and will hopefully start the exams shortly after in the next testing window, depending on how long it takes to register etc...

I will say I'm a little worried I'm going to struggle due to standard of education at HCC. Not to say it's bad, but the requirements just aren't even close to A&M. I will be using Becker to study and hopefully the new tests don't screw me over too bad.
Ag12thman
AG
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm going with Becker to hopefully finally knock these things out, too - so I'm right there with you. I've started the process and allowed other things to interrupt and/or stop me in the past and that simply has to stop. My advice to you is to get it taken care of now, especially if you have not yet started your own family. Once you start having kids (to go along with working full-time), it gets much tougher to study adequately enough to get all four sections passed. That's the boat I'm in, basically. The exams are changing starting in April, but it looks like Becker has completely updated and modernized their review course, so I am most likely going to go ahead and drop that pretty good chunk of money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.