Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Looking for a good buy and hold ETF

1,232 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dr. Doctor
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Suggestions? Is this really as easy has picking the S&P or Total Mkt Index?
Football&Finance
AG
if you're only putting your money in a single ETF/MF for an extended period (e.g. for retirement), it should be incredibly diversified. Target-date funds from an efficient provider (Vanguard) are probably your best bet if that is your goal.

If you want to be diversified and you're not married to the idea of one fund to rule them all, then I recommend buying a basket of the following ETFs (with % allocations adjusted for your risk appetite):

Stocks
  • VTI (Total US Stock market)
  • VEA or IEFA (Developed Market stocks, excluding US, i.e. foreign, established large markets)
  • VWO (Emerging Markets stocks, i.e. foreign, more volatile

Bonds
  • BND or AGG (Mostly US Gvt some US IG corp bonds) maybe MUB (Municipal Bonds) too if taxable
  • BNDX (International Bonds)
  • VWOB (EM gvt bonds)
TamuKid
AG
Best Buy and hold stocks are likely going to be dividend payers. May as well go diverse and run with something like VYM
FlyFish95
Maybe I should clarify a little. What I'm really looking for is a solid divided paying ETF. Something I can put money in over time to help build a stream of income via dividends for the future.
Harkrider 93
AG
DGRO focuses on companies with growing dividends.

VYM is high dividend payers.

Either will work, but both is best.
FlyFish95
Appreciate it.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I currently have positions in my IRA with

SDIV
HYG

I did have before

DVY
PEY

I sold the latter 2, but they were good as well. SDIV I like based upon looking for the best dividends and paying monthly.

~egon
dallasag_123
Is anyone concerned that dividend paying stocks have been bid up too high in price? So many people looking for yield somewhere with no where else to get it.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I know when I first started dipping my toes with investing, most of the people told me to go for growth stocks; stay away from dividend or income funds. Growth would outpace any dividends or income.

This was before the crash (2006/2007). I think people or investors are thinking like me (not trying to be egotistical) and wanting to see the returns each moth rather than a 'potential return' in the future.

Realize nothing is guaranteed, but seeing the $X deposited each month vs. a changing number with the potential for returns at a later date.

Just my thoughts.

~egon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.