Business & Investing
Sponsored by

4130 forged steel block quote

3,544 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BustUpAChiffarobe
BustUpAChiffarobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy ags,

We just received a contract to do the module upgrades for 15 mud-pumps, and I'd like to investigate using a local forge for the raw blocks. We currently get most of our steel from an Indian forge; but I'd rather use American if at all possible.

Drop me your contact info via pm, and I'll shoot you an email.
TriAg2010
AG
How "local" are you talking? If you just want to buy American, there are some good options in the NE and midwest. I haven't worked with many forge shops in Texas although surely there are some around.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
probably should have used "domestic" instead of local.
Whitetail
AG
Frisa is way closer to the US than India...they are top notch and have good pricing.

http://www.frisa.com/
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I've checked Frisa; and I don't know if they were blowing me off; but they quoted 8 times higher (991 vs 120) on a ring rolled 1045 forging, and 3.5 times higher (11,617 vs 3500) on a solid 4130 block the last time I got a quote from them.

They seem to be very professional, but unfortunately that type of price difference won't work in the marketplace, at least for our line of products.
Whitetail
AG
Yeah, I was just adding the name to the list.

I have found that a lot of times when you get a high quote, they may just be busy or have their engineering department tied up. If you have packages, sometime I have been lucky going back to the same supplier and getting reductions just by asking them to requote, I would add the reason why they didn't work before, and see if they will improve.

But I am sure you know that. Good luck.
TriAg2010
AG
quote:
I've checked Frisa; and I don't know if they were blowing me off; but they quoted 8 times higher (991 vs 120) on a ring rolled 1045 forging, and 3.5 times higher (11,617 vs 3500) on a solid 4130 block the last time I got a quote from them.

They seem to be very professional, but unfortunately that type of price difference won't work in the marketplace, at least for our line of products.

Non-responsive Europeans in August? No way!

Have you tried Scot Forge or Ellwood?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:

Non-responsive Europeans in August? No way!

Have you tried Scot Forge or Ellwood?
They're actually Mexicans haha. I have tried Scot Forge; and they're pretty good, but their delivery time is ridiculous right now; and I think they're buying foreign material and just forging it in the US; which I can't blame them for; but they're charging an arm and a leg for the forging aspect of it..and I believe they're using Chinese raw material. Some of my International Customers will absolutely not use Chinese ANYTHING, so we use Indian, and they SEEM fine with that; but I'd love to keep my business domestic and save the "over the water" costs if possible.
TriAg2010
AG
Ah that's right, I got them confused with an Italian outfit.
crowman2010
AG
If you need it shipped...I can help :-)
The Original AG 76
AG
Try Ellwood.
JFrench
AG
what dims are the blocks?

Frisa just screwed me on delivery so theyre on my **** list. And if delivery is critical I wont even consider Scot.

Might check out Liberty. Couple guys i work with buy alot of forgings and they use them quite a bit.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Ellwood has a forge in Houston and Navasota. Navasota is their growing location. They have done a lot of Auto and heavy machinery forges. I would try them out
Fightin_Aggie
AG
https://forgedcomponents.com

You might be running into pricing problems with forges if you are wanting a small volume order. You might try these guys instead. They are located down the road from Ellwood in Navasota. They don't have the nice equipment that Ellwood has but might be a better fit for a small order.
Lcarts
Scot Forge gets all their material domestic, none of the China junk.
fire09
AG
GulfCo in Beaumont maybe?
TejasMike12
AG
Try Liberty Forge, Inc. www.libertyforgeinc.com call and ask for Kirby or Jesse.

We are located in Liberty, Texas just outside of Houston. Quick delivery. Message me if anyone wants more info. We can compete with Frisa.

If anyone is looking for short lead times, we keep a good size stock on site ranging in carbon, alloy, stainless and nickel alloys. And we make a good ring too since we have new ring mill.
djx02
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Oklahoma Forge. They only use domestic steel. I've been using them for rings over Frisa for several years now. Frisa still has good prices, but their delivery has been longer. Oklahoma just put an order at my dock in one week from purchase order.

Gulfco has been good to us over the years also. Forgital is the Italian forge, but we only used them for flange forgings, so I can't really speak for mayhem too much. Parish International in Hempstead is a good company that usually has short deliveries.
aggie_wes
glgilbert
djx02, which company are you with? We work with Oklahoma Forge (OFI) in Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

Appreciate the compliments. You are correct, standard lead times are around 5-7 working days for rolled rings. We can even deliver as quick as 2-3 days if needed.

These mud pump modules are a little out of OFI's wheelhouse. But our Open-Die forge shop in Italy, Lucchini Mame Forge, is very very competitive on mud pump and frac pump fluid ends. Our added value machining and automated heat treat are key factors that make us leaders in quality and costs on these products.

Houston Lee
AG
I work for AF Global. The AF stands for Ameriforge. We would forge the material in our Houston plant.

www.afglobalcorp.com
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been responding; was in Minnesota two weeks ago and then Vegas last week for MinExpo. GlGilbert, we actually met at the show, and I think one of my guys sent you some prints over for your italian friends to look at.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.