Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Small Business CRM

2,966 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
LHIOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I work for a small company with 8 sales people nationwide and I have recently been promoted to National Account Manager. As of right now we don't have a CRM.Mostly because all of the reps are older and have been with the company for 20 years.

I need something that can help me organize my accounts and the various branches that each rep calls on and the various opportunities. I don't really need it to sync with email or phone calls. I just need to be able to sort each account several different ways.

Any suggestions?
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
I work for a small company with 8 sales people nationwide and I have recently been promoted to National Account Manager. As of right now we don't have a CRM.Mostly because all of the reps are older and have been with the company for 20 years.

I need something that can help me organize my accounts and the various branches that each rep calls on and the various opportunities. I don't really need it to sync with email or phone calls. I just need to be able to sort each account several different ways.

Any suggestions?
1st level Salesforce CRM would suffice. Expandable as you grow or increase requirements. Nutshell is a low cost option and user friendly. Following link is if you can't decide. They will help you narrow down the choices for the best match to what you desire.

http://www.softwareadvice.com/crm/top-ten/?utm_source=bing-search&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=best%20small%20business%20crm&utm_matchtype=be&querystring=best%20small%20business%20crm&device=c&ad=3195659968&network=o&utm_campaign=crm_business
LHIOB
AG
Thanks

Ive used Salesforce, Goldmine, ACT and others at previous jobs we just don't have a massive budget.
Long Live Sully
AG
There is a free product that is Google friendly called Zoho. It is pretty clean and fairly intuitive.

Zoho.com
BigNastyNate
AG
We've been happy with pipelinedeals.com
Vernada
AG
Lol. Good luck getting your old guys to sign onto anything new. (Seriously)
Diyala Nick
AG
Pipedrive is awesome.
mm98
AG
Base CRM seems to work pretty good and is free, minus some upgrades.
mm98
AG
quote:
Lol. Good luck getting your old guys to sign onto anything new. (Seriously)

And agree with this. 100% ...good luck.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I think SalesForce is overkill for your size/needs.

Find something free or cheaper - you are just needing basic opportunity/account management from what I gather so there is no need to over do it.
Copp
Podio is free up to a certain number of users. Not overly robust but is great for lead management. It is almost like a platform for lead management with some social media capabilities. It is very customizable or you can use templates. The mobile apps are also very good
LHIOB
AG
Thanks for the suggestions

Im giving Zoho a look right now

To be honest I don't think I am going to introduce this stuff to the sales reps. I am just going to have them report back to me each time they need to on the accounts and I will handle the rest. It will be easier that way.
Long Live Sully
AG
Zoho will allow you to embed emails within the contact record. It is a decent solution.
CapCity12thMan
AG

quote:
I am just going to have them report back to me each time they need to on the accounts and I will handle the rest. It will be easier that way.
ugh. Really? Easier for who?

You obviously saw some value in having a centralized system to manage this stuff, part of that value is ease and accessibility for all - at a minimum. It sounds like what you are signing up for is a lot of headache for you. Admit I don't know what you are selling or any other details about this just sounds like a strange things to do. You are accountable for the performance of this unit - correct? Therefore it needs to operate per your standards. Don't be shy.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I agree with the sentiment in your post but I can empathize with the OP as I have a similar situation at our company.
The top dogs are all old school guys that would prefer to do things the way they have in the past (notepad & big chief #2 pencils).

In my experience, the two main barriers to change/adoption:
1) The difficulty of demonstrating the value/potential of modifying proven processes to harness current technology adequately to justify any cost outlay for software/hardware/licenses

2) If you can get the checkbook open, any new technology can only be as effective as the adoption/implementation. If the users won't/can't use it, it's essentially null & void.

Good luck to the OP with this endeavor & congrats to anyone who has conquered this uphill climb.

Maybe others here will have some tips/tricks or advice we can use to facilitate the process!
mm98
AG
quote:
I agree with the sentiment in your post but I can empathize with the OP as I have a similar situation at our company.
The top dogs are all old school guys that would prefer to do things the way they have in the past (notepad & big chief #2 pencils).

In my experience, the two main barriers to change/adoption:
1) The difficulty of demonstrating the value/potential of modifying proven processes to harness current technology adequately to justify any cost outlay for software/hardware/licenses

2) If you can get the checkbook open, any new technology can only be as effective as the adoption/implementation. If the users won't/can't use it, it's essentially null & void.

Good luck to the OP with this endeavor & congrats to anyone who has conquered this uphill climb.

Maybe others here will have some tips/tricks or advice we can use to facilitate the process!

Yep. I sold data/business intelligence for 9 years. I saw both a lot of that. Companies buying both information services & CRM only to have to cave to their sales team that refused to use either.
YouBet
AG
You have a challenge ahead of you but at least its a small team. You will have to show them and prove to them how it makes their job easier and/or provides them personal value.

I would start with a simple use case, something small scale, to accomplish this. I would also identify an early adopter who has the respect of the other 7 (if there is one) and work to get him on your side. He can be a champion on your behalf.

Whatever you do dont just deploy it and tell them to go use it. We did that several years ago with SF.com and im still dealing with the repercussions of that decision made before my time.
Vernada
AG
If you are going to be doing all there work anyway it sounds like you could get by with an access database.
edwardsk2003
AG
I'd probably look at moving to O365 and using CRMOnline...
CapCity12thMan
AG
the hardest part in all of this I do realize is getting people to change, so you must either make their lives easier (perceived or otherwise), or convince them this is better for the company for whatever reasons an all buy in to being "better". We will have to defer all that to you...

I think having an open ended conversation/happy hour type format to just solicit their feedback on some "ideas you have".

Since we don't know what you are selling and don't know the activity involved it is hard to say that some added technology will add value.Also hard to say how often they would be "updating their accounts" (whatever that means) and how much work this actually is for you. If it is 2x per year -email and XLS should be fine. if it is something like weekly and things are moving and shaking then you are going to be busy doing data entry for them.
Long Live Sully
AG
Or bring in the Bobs.
Bob Kelso
AG
They should be held accountable for their business.

Have them get in there (CRM) and forecast their sales and quote activity and bookings. Or tell them to get f out. You're going to give yourself a headache consolidating their napkin notes for them.
CapCity12thMan
AG
how did this ever turn out?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.