Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Well......that'll make you feel like a loser.

5,354 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VikingNik
92Ag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just found out that a dude I knew my very first semester at A&M formed his own company and 6 years later sold it for $20M+. I only knew him that one semester because he flunked out of A&M and moved back to Oklahoma.

Working for the man is like standing in the corner in time out.

Anyone here ever start and sell a business?
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
Just found out that a dude I knew my very first semester at A&M formed his own company and 6 years later sold it for $20M+. I only knew him that one semester because he flunked out of A&M and moved back to Oklahoma.

The same skills it takes to be successful as a business owner would likely help you rise to the top of an organization. You just have to find an organization that is a true meritocracy rather than a behemoth that rewards years of experience or seniority. And it helps if you are willing to jump ship to a new company every 2-3 years to hop up the ladder quicker.

Running a company you own isn't easy and doing it full-time will involve long hours and lots of rejection - probably even failure. Very few of these stories are people who hit it big like that and did so without mounds of effort. Many times you can't afford to take a salary for at least a year. It's even rougher if you aren't a tech company and can't get many venture funds to scale quickly. Entrepreneurship sounds sexy because you only see successes publicized.
John Maplethorpe
AG
For every $20 MM success story there's 5,000 where the owners go broke, nuke their credit, strain their families, BK, depression, complete financial restart late in life, etc....
aggiepaintrain
AG
and are working for the man!
Talon2DSO
AG
Running your own thing is scary as hell. I've been on my own consulting gig for 6 months and it's been real scary. I would love to be an attorney with a good firm and have my business as a side gig. This way I can still make a steady check, have resources available, and still offer a consulting services to clients.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
. The same skills it takes to be successful as a business owner would likely help you rise to the top of an organization.

This is just wrong.

This is like saying that the skills that make a great SEAL would make you a great enlisted sailor.

And if you ever find yourself working at a true meritocracy, you had better stay because most likely you won't ever find another one.

Señor Chang
AG
What type of business was the company he sold?
Buck Compton
AG
Of course nothing is a 100% meritocracy, but things have come a long way with compensation theory research. We're pretty close where I work but are a little too large to have it fully implemented.

The same qualities that (most) successful entrepreneurs have: tenacity, work ethic, strategic thinking, ability to communicate, leadership (not management), not to mention a little luck/timing is exactly what you need to rise up in a well-run corporation.

Obviously the last part is a huge part of it and just like everyone with these qualities isn't a successful entrepreneur, everyone isn't successful in the business world. But to think you can't be independently wealthy working for "the man" is ridiculous.

And your hyperbolic analogy of SEAL:enlisted::entrepreneur:corporate worker is laughable.
RogerEnright
quote:
For every $20 MM success story there's 5,000 where the owners go broke, nuke their credit, strain their families, BK, depression, complete financial restart late in life, etc....

Bs. Many people have strained families, depression... cannot always blame their business.
Still better than the depression that comes with a dead end job working for someone who try to pay you just enough to keep you etc.
Stive
AG
Nothing he said is untrue. He didn't say that financial struggles were the only things that caused those things.
Harry Stone
AG
quote:

We just started up a new biotech company and am in the funding stage. It's hard hard work starting up a company, especially when you still have to maintain your current company.
claym711
AG
60% of statistics are made up
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:

What about the other half??
RogerEnright
quote:
80% of everyone knows that.
RogerEnright
quote:
Nothing he said is untrue. He didn't say that financial struggles were the only things that caused those things.
Then it is hard to tease out causality.

Example, I am likely less stressed now that I own my business.
diehard03
quote:
Then it is hard to tease out causality.

Example, I am likely less stressed now that I own my business.

I'm not sure where you're objection is coming from. He's not saying that successful people have issues with their lives. It was quite the opposite: that business failure ruins lives. Like others have mentioned, you don't hear about those stories, so it's easy to glamorize the result...which is what the OP was doing.

quote:
depression that comes with a dead end job working for someone who try to pay you just enough to keep you

I don't know too many business owners who really feel this way. Maybe a little bit as bravado...but they all accept that they've traded one tyrant (boss) for many tyrants (customers, vendors holding them ransom, employees, etc). Sure, there's tremendous upside...which is why they do it.

Many people aren't fit to be business owners and shouldn't be. Many people have a much better leverage play being employees.
Endo Ag
AG
Business Owner. Lots of stress. Lots more pay. Hard to strike a balance. Wouldn't change.
92Ag95
AG
quote:
Some type of VoIP hosting for business. Developed some kind of in-house software for delivery, billing, support, etc. I think the software was ultimately what the buyer was after. Apparently it was pretty robust.
RogerEnright
I agree with your statements, including some people shouldn't be owners.

The only objection that I have is that I think there are many who would have "some" success, but fail to take the risk due to perceived failure rates. I don't know where these statistics come from.

Example, I likely start an LLC a year to try some new service offering. Some don't hit, but it doesn't wipe me out, crush my credit etc. I think of it part of my R&D expense. Are each of those LLCs considered a failed business? How does one measure failure rates.

Now, I am not super successful (not yet), but I may suffer from survivor bias and believe the odds aren't stacked against us as many statistics seem to have us believe.

diehard03
For the sake of this discussion, I think we can be simple in our view. Success means you can live on the business. Failure means you shut the doors and enjoy a massive amount of debt to climb out of. The situation you describe is simply like having various products or investments that may hit or miss in the market.

Now, you are right on one thing: the failure rate is heavily weighted down by early failures in businesses that werent viable from Day 1 or lost the "cash vs profitability" race early a business's life. So, yes, you can mitigate the failure rate but these do come at a cost.
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:
Some type of VoIP hosting for business. Developed some kind of in-house software for delivery, billing, support, etc. I think the software was ultimately what the buyer was after. Apparently it was pretty robust.

Who was the buyer?
62strat
AG
Yeh a good friend of my dad's started his own contract personnel company for offshore O&G in his early 30s, sold it for 9 figures within 6-8 years, and stayed on with that company in upper management until he retired. I worked for this company for several years, so saw him often.. most down to earth guy ever. There were project engineers that had more expensive trucks than he did.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Good for him. 9 figures (100,000,000), and I'm out. Like as soon as that check clears out.
VikingNik
AG
Met a guy teaching VoIP classes and it turns out he invented some sort of switching tech that he tried to sell to Cisco for $1M. The engineers he met with didn't get it and declined so he had to start a company and actually do all the work. Several years later Cisco buys his company for $420 million. He retires to Kiawah island, buys a big sailboat and takes family on a two year vacation around the world. We ask him why on earth he is teaching this week long class and he says his wife was going to kill him if he didn't get out of the house and do something, at least part time. So a nine figure deal might not mean you are out.

The Cisco engineers were fired.
62strat
AG
quote:
Met a guy teaching VoIP classes and it turns out he invented some sort of switching tech that he tried to sell to Cisco for $1M. The engineers he met with didn't get it and declined so he had to start a company and actually do all the work. Several years later Cisco buys his company for $420 million. He retires to Kiawah island, buys a big sailboat and takes family on a two year vacation around the world. We ask him why on earth he is teaching this week long class and he says his wife was going to kill him if he didn't get it out of the house and do something, at least part time. So a nine figure deal might not mean you are out.

That must be a pretty humble wife if she wasn't out shopping and hitting up the spa everyday.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
For every $20 MM success story there's 5,000

More like 50 or 500 thousand.

Now, for every 100K, or 250K, or even a million (nothing to sneeze at there) success story, there's 5K...

I've sold 2 businesses, neither were anywhere near 20 million.
John Maplethorpe
AG
Yeah I agree. I was talking orders of magnitude. If you have a degree, smarts, drive, capital, and some luck your odds are better. *anecdote warning* I have 2 acquaintances that have started $10 mm companies and I don't have 5000 acquaintances.
treetop flyer
That's the catch. The work ethic, desire and competitiveness that allows success beyond your expectations are also a downfall. You never stop working. You get bored. Your interest may change, but you keep going. I know a couple of folks that sold their businesses. Signed no competes for a few years or stayed on only to pop up again the minute it expired. I don't know anyone that had a windfall and just sailed off into the sunset early.
AgBank
AG
quote:
Yeah I agree. I was talking orders of magnitude. If you have a degree, smarts, drive, capital, and some luck your odds are better. *anecdote warning* I have 2 acquaintances that have started $10 mm companies and I don't have 5000 acquaintances.
Your acquaintances aren't necessarily a random sample.
AgBank
AG
quote:

Interesting. I have sold several businesses (not my own) to large companies. It always seemed to me like there is risk for these internal M&A guys and their tech analysis teams is the other way. If they buy a business and it doesn't work out, fingers can be pointed in their direction.

This is the first time I have heard of people getting fired for not buying a business. It is a small world in these sectors. If I were their boss, I would look for better engineers as well.
diehard03
I don't know that I take all the elements of the story as true. I think he was just referring to a situation like when Yahoo passed up on buying Google for 1M.
VikingNik
AG
I'm just relaying his story about it. He told it in the third person until we realized he was referring to himself two or three days into the class. He said he even was willing to sell it to them for $500k and they rejected it. Getting something for $500k versus $420MM would make John Chambers probably pretty pissed, especially if you tell him after the check clears (this is just me speculating how I would do it).
cjo03
AG
quote:
I'm just relaying his story about it. He told it in the third person until we realized he was referring to himself two or three days into the class. He said he even was willing to sell it to them for $500k and they rejected it. Getting something for $500k versus $420MM would make John Chambers probably pretty pissed, especially if you tell him after the check clears (this is just me speculating how I would do it).

Mr Viking... are you... posting from a sailboat? hypothetically...
VikingNik
AG
I wish! No. I'm trying to remember his name. Been a few years. Really nice guy.
diehard03
quote:
I'm just relaying his story about it. He told it in the third person until we realized he was referring to himself two or three days into the class. He said he even was willing to sell it to them for $500k and they rejected it. Getting something for $500k versus $420MM would make John Chambers probably pretty pissed, especially if you tell him after the check clears (this is just me speculating how I would do it)

I meant about the "Cisco engineers being fired". An acquisition has many many fingerprints on it to sign off. Treating it like some random engineers just made a mistake is not likely.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.