Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Refinancing medical school loans

1,740 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
PeekingDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For consolidation/rate purposes... are there recommended lenders that any of you guys have used? Does it really matter?
The Wonderer
AG
I used SoFi and dropped my rate 2+% going their variable 20 straight plan. You have to go to an accredited school (my law school didn't count), but I used A&M and go through even though I do not have any loans for A&M. My LIBOR just went to 5.3%, but that's better than the standard locked of 7.5% I had through Navient.

Here's my referral is you go that route: http://sofi.com/refer/5/127296

Madmarttigan
AG
I use earnest, sofi gave me garbage rates.

Went with a variable rate that is at 3.5% currently (have over 100k). Their fixed rate they offered me was around 5. Sofi offered me 6% when I was already at 6.25%, garbage.

I would honestly apply to 2 or 3 and just pick the one that gives you the best rate, I really don't think it matters otherwise. Earnest does let you customize your payment/interest rate to basically any payment you are comfortable making. Sofi locks you into specific payments and term limits but that might be the only difference I can think of.

Here is my referral link, but not trying to advertise for one or the other. Pick the best rate you can find.
https://www.earnest.com/invite/timothy378
PeekingDuck
AG
Thanks guys - didn't know if there was a Vanguard type place in this respect... Guess not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Currently at 5.5% on Nelnet after auto pay discount of 0.25%.

Sofi offered me 6%, even with my great credit. Absolute garbage.

Anyone think I could do better somewhere else?
Madmarttigan
AG
As I said before I got a better rate with earnest versus sofi, I dunno why sofi is successful with the rates they give.
Duncan Idaho
When I used social, no one could come close to thier rates.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.