Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Are any of you full time or mostly short sellers?

1,713 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by oldarmy1
One Tooth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would appreciate any leads to tips, advice, and strategies as the market heads into the election. Thanks.
John Maplethorpe
AG
Lots of day traders chat on here. I'm not one of them.
blumpkin
AG
Hillary is going to win. No reason for market drop (election related). Trump wins somehow then look out below.
Gator2_01
AG
quote:
Hillary is going to win. No reason for market drop (election related). Trump wins somehow then look out below.

Trump might provide a correction, but as long as he proves to be no more incompetent than Hillary we'll be fine.

The best tip may be: the market won't crash when everyone expects it to crash.
One Tooth Man
Let's keep politics on the other board and stick to short selling. Thanks guys.
Gator2_01
AG
Then go ahead and talk short selling, we're waiting.

You don't think politics affect the market?
Jack Boyett
AG
I'm a daytrader, and just looked through my log from the last month. 51% long and 49% short.

However, I assume you're looking for advice from a longer term type trader. Does a short only or mostly short strategy even exist? If so, I would assume that those traders' accounts would mostly be blown up after the last several years.
One Tooth Man
quote:
Does a short only or mostly short strategy even exist?

Hey Jack. That's where I'm leaning into the fall. Curious as to hear from those who short more intentionally if they have noticed it easier to find weakness than strength and how they did/do it.
SparkE
quote:
A friend of mine and I joke about buying "Trumputs" for such a scenario.
SlackerAg
AG
Anyone able to identify potential "short squeezes"?
Carnwellag2
quote:
quote:
i think opposite - we see a big spike up if trump wins in November. The market is already priced in a hillary win - which is bad for business
AngryAG
quote:
quote:
quote:
i think opposite - we see a big spike up if trump wins in November. The market is already priced in a hillary win - which is bad for business

I guess you weren't alive in the 1990s.
oldarmy1
AG
If you've studied a stock and feel that it is over valued then you short it once it has an identifiable resistance mark. As the stock approaches that mark you enter your short and have a natural stop loss exit at a certain percent should it break higher.

The absolute worst thing you can do is say you want to short because a stock looks too high.

Another way I end up short is by converting a Put option that goes well into the money, confirming my decision to want to be short.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.