Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Spouse 401k question

1,875 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by libertyag
Spaceship
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I have separate 401k's with Alerus (myself) and Fidelity (her). She recently left her employer and has no intent to return, and will probably be a stay-at-home mom for the foreseeable future. Can I roll her 401k into mine as a consolidation? The Alerus customer service rep said that isn't allowable by the IRS, but he didn't sound very confident, so can someone here clarify? Thanks.
aggie028
AG
Not to my knowledge but roll it over to an IRA. What is the advantage of rolling it into yours?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Rolling it to an IRA should give you way more flexibility, right. Main reason to put money into a 401k is for company match but at this point I would think the IRA would be a better outcome even if you could do the roll into yours.
Stive
AG
Her IRA has to stay in an account with her name (either the IRA, or a 401K).

Can't combine them.
libertyag
AG
Have to roll it into an IRA for her. If you roll it into yours, she has a taxable distribution and you have an invalid rollover in your account which will result in an annual 6% tax until your correct it. Your 401(k) plan administrator should tell you they would not accept a rollover from a spouse.
Whitetail
AG
Like others have said, roll it into an IRA, then fill out the paperwork with Fidelity so you can add her account to yours so you can do the investing of that account for her.
AggieRAGE
AG
Question since I may be going through the same thing with my spouse soon too. What taxes (if any) have to be paid if you roll a 401k into an existing Roth IRA?
Whitetail
AG
Nm
Stive
AG
Whitetail
AG
Miss read, sorry.
Harkrider 93
AG
quote:
Question since I may be going through the same thing with my spouse soon too. What taxes (if any) have to be paid if you roll a 401k into an existing Roth IRA?
No taxes if it is a Roth 401k to a Roth IRA. You will pay your marginal tax rate if you roll and convert a pretax 401k to a Roth 401k.

We would need more information to know what the exact rate would be.
AggieRAGE
AG
What if I converted her 401k to a Roth 401k and then moved it over into a Roth IRA?
libertyag
AG
quote:
What if I converted her 401k to a Roth 401k and then moved it over into a Roth IRA?
Would owe taxes when the 401k went to a Roth 401k (provided your employer allowed you to do that).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.