Business & Investing
Sponsored by

GPRO - $10.56

6,525 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by clobby
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Help me out here guys. This stock IPOd at $20 and went into the 90s by late 2014. Now it's worth $1.5B and has no debt. It's now trading 1X revenue for what I thought was a growing company.

I've never used a GoPro and never felt the urge to use a GoPro. What makes their camera different than anybody else? Do they have any special patents? Or was this company all brand and now people sick of it?
tamutaylor12
I think their issues are a limited audience, no moat, and probably 1 and done purchases. Once I have bought their product, what more am I going to buy from them? I'm sure there are some nuts out there that want everything they make but I see those people as few and far between.
Duncan Idaho
The one and done is the big issue I see. If I am not a professional action adventure film/documentary maker why would I need to upgrade ever.
bmks270
AG
I see FIT following a similar path.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

My boss had one, it crapped out. He bought an apple watch to replace it.

Ragoo
AG
apple watch and to a lesser extent Garmin are better products than a fitbit, at least for people who are actually interested in tracking their fitnesss milestones. fitbit started as a step counter, steps don't mean anything substantial but it made people feel good. Walking 10,000 steps sounds like a lot so I get positive feedback and endorphins in my brain.
IrishTxAggie
AG
quote:
quote:

I view FIT as extremely limited in their audience and another one and done deal. Come next holiday season, they may see another bump. However, Apple Watch will continue to hurt them because of the brand loyalty and the functionality of the Apple Watch for people that own other Apple products.
Duncan Idaho
Oh I agree. He was a big fan of it and used it religiously. But even then he jumped ship when he had a chance.

tamutaylor12
My iphone tracks my steps, it was a free program already installed with the latest ios update. Adios fitbit.
dreyOO
quote:
Help me out here guys. This stock IPOd at $20 and went into the 90s by late 2014. Now it's worth $1.5B and has no debt. It's now trading 1X revenue for what I thought was a growing company.

I've never used a GoPro and never felt the urge to use a GoPro. What makes their camera different than anybody else? Do they have any special patents? Or was this company all brand and now people sick of it?
I would just assume there are going to be a ton of competitors that make knock offs. Can't imagine a patent will keep someone from taking a camera and attaching it in someway so that you can have the same functionality.

I would never buy this stock based off of one product line like this.
AggieMainland
I've lost a lot of money on this stock over the last couple of weeks.

Their biggest problem is that their last product was a complete disaster (small little cube) ...inventory keeps going up and sales are under forecast quarter after quarter. The pictures/video this thing takes is impressive but the iPhone quality is good enough for the majority of people.

The one thing they have going for them is a good reputation. No one is really taking over the action camera market even though all the major camera companies are trying. IMO it's more of a problem that people just don't need cameras in this day and age with the power of iPhones than competitor risk. And really...how many people really need an action camera?
AggieMainland
For the record I didn't buy the stock because I thought the company was so great. I bought it because it was completely oversold. I still think that's the case. Imo the worst case is that they get bought out by Apple or whatever and that's not really that bad.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I'd think they would actually fit in better with Sony's portfolio than Apple's. That's just my take on it though.
Premium
AG
quote:
quote:

I've done the same as your boss. Except mine was a Christmas present.
AggieMainland
Yeah, Sony is working hard to get into the action cam space but no one is really buying their stuff. It's a little cheaper but it's just not working so far.
Premium
AG
Who needs a GoPro, Lily rests it's case:

Ragoo
AG
We went on an Alaska trip last summer and bought a Sony camera over the go pro. I let my wife do the research because she cared more and am not sure why she ended with the Sony over the go pro but she did.
pfo
AG
GPRO made the greatest camera in the world! Fantastic movies and pics, go everywhere, even underwater. But now the competitors are catching up and more are coming. It's a one trick pony with few barriers to entry.

I agree that Fitbit is in the same boat.
FrontPorchAg
quote:

Lily just pushed back it's release till June. It isn't working as expected and may not be out till later.

Just the same. I called this is an earlier thread. GoPro needs to diversify if it is going to be viable long term. Their technology isn't that great. Apple makes as good a camera for the iPhone as goPro and at a 10th the size. Their is little barrier to entry and Smith helmets has played with putting a camera inside the helmet so you don't have to look like an idiot running around with a camera on your head.
oldarmy1
AG
It's like the guy said. At the end of the day IT's JUST A CAMERA!

ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:

Lily just pushed back it's release till June. It isn't working as expected and may not be out till later.

Just the same. I called this is an earlier thread. GoPro needs to diversify if it is going to be viable long term. Their technology isn't that great. Apple makes as good a camera for the iPhone as goPro and at a 10th the size. Their is little barrier to entry and Smith helmets has played with putting a camera inside the helmet so you don't have to look like an idiot running around with a camera on your head.

That's a cool idea. I was skiing this weekend and thought all of the idiots running around (mostly on greens and blues) with GoPros looked ridiculous. If you could build it into the front of your helmet with a button on the ear flap or something, it would be a little less ridiculous. Still narcissistic, but less ridiculous.
Phat32
AG
My ski trip two years ago: GoPro only everywhere
My ski trip this weekend: action cams of all shapes and sizes

GoPro is screwed - best case scenario they get bought by an Apple or Google.

I own a GoPro and have no incentive to buy anything from them ever again. All of their accessories are knocked off for 50% less on Amazon. Not to knock on the camera (other than the battery life). I love my GoPro.

As they say on Shark Tank - "you're a product, not a business". Funny, since the GoPro guy was on there...
dreyOO
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've done the same as your boss. Except mine was a Christmas present.

Sounds like the Flip camera.
aTm2004
AG
quote:

That made me think of this...

Deputy Travis Junior
The big problem they have right now is that they sell one type of product, that has a very long upgrade cycle, in a niche market. This is not a smart phone-like device that allows them to sell new upgraded versions to the same people over and over.

For example, I bought one for a climbing trip six months ago. I was impressed with the size, weight, and video quality, and would recommend one to a friend. That said, there's no incentive to upgrade when they bring out a new model next year, or the year after that, or the year after that. Good 1080p is fine for me; I don't need to film in 4k at 60fps (I guess people doing professional work are am exception, but they aren't going to float a multi billion dollar business). So I bought my single camera and therefore our relationship has concluded until I break it or something.

I've read that they're looking to get into drones and VR, so there is some upside here, but that is a crowded, competitive market, so there are no guarantees that will amount to anything.
62strat
AG
quote:

I own a GoPro and have no incentive to buy anything from them ever again. All of their accessories are knocked off for 50% less on Amazon. Not to knock on the camera (other than the battery life). I love my GoPro.

As they say on Shark Tank - "you're a product, not a business". Funny, since the GoPro guy was on there...
As an investor I assume you mean? He became a billionaire when it went public last year.
Phat32
AG
quote:
quote:

As an investor I assume you mean? He became a billionaire when it went public last year.
Yes, he's on as an investor. It's just funny that his company is likely something that Kevin O'Leary would knock against.
Yesterday
AG
Just for the record, two years ago these GoPro cameras wouldn't last a day or two in my pawnshops, now I have several in each store and they've been there for a couple of months. After reading this thread it makes sense.
IrishTxAggie
AG
How much are they going for in your store?
SmoothRuckus
AG
quote:
Just for the record, two years ago these GoPro cameras wouldn't last a day or two in my pawnshops, now I have several in each store and they've been there for a couple of months. After reading this thread it makes sense.
Need info like this BEFORE the stock starts dropping!

Let us know when those fitbits start piling up as well
Yesterday
AG
Honestly, if it's piling up in my stores then it's probably already too late. Most of my inventory movement reacts well after the new retail side does.

I'll post some prices tomorrow.
permabull
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
If you want to research GPRO uses, I suggest this.

91AggieLawyer
AG
GP needs to come out with an integrated drone product that can do both real time and flash memory video and has GPS navigation capability. This can include a lost feature that flies to a certain base to get help in case of emergency.
ORAggieFan
Plenty already in the drone space doing that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.