Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AMZN

58,010 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by diablo loco
NGUYENAGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
waiting to catch the falling knife at 58x (586-587 to be exact). Will play long term for this, anyone on board?
Post removed:
by user
NGUYENAGS
AG
My chart shows that price. That's why i waited for to execute. I like the company and their outlook. I would have short sell to 586 if vanguard allows it. But well, wait and see now. My order was just executed.
Shiner Bock
AG
quote:
My chart shows that price. That's why i waited for to execute. I like the company and their outlook. I would have short sell to 586 if vanguard allows it. But well, wait and see now. My order was just executed.

Might want to change your chart
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
pfo
AG
Amazon's PE now down to only 816! I'm not on board.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Love AMZN, do business with them all the time. that being said, that multiple is way too high
pfo
AG
quote:
Love AMZN, do business with them all the time. that being said, that multiple is way too high

It's dot com bubble insane. I agree that Amazon has changed the way the world will do business and may very well be the greatest company in the history of capitalism. But the stock price is ridiculous.
BT1395
AG
As with most young businesses, their value is the potential future value. In AMZN's case, their AWS business is exploding and should be valued at ~$200/share in '17. Tack on another ~$600 or so for the retail business and you've got a stock that could be justified at ~$800 in a year or two at 2.4x Sales.

Still a bit pricey, but you're buying potential that's actually not that far out of whack with mature companies. In this case, I think it's relatively obvious that the potential is off the charts. I'm buying more at these prices.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Agree 100%. Too rich for my blood.
jh0400
AG
Two things to consider on AMZN when you look at their PE. The first is their noncash comp. Add that back net of the tax benefits, and you've got a profitable company. Second, look at their R&D costs. Those are easy to cut if necessary. AMZN could be a GAAP profitable company tomorrow if they wanted to be. Even though they lose money, they're still FCF positive.
Duncan Idaho
It is nothing like the dot Com bubble. If all they did was sell books online and lost money on each one, and still had a 217x, it would be like the dot Com bubble.

But since like jh mentioned they are fcf positive which is something companies weren't in the dot Com bubble.
NGUYENAGS
AG
Posted when my buy limit hit 585. Took profit at 599. Re bought at 573. Stop loss 535. Take profit 635.
NGUYENAGS
AG
Take profit at 599 and sell half size order at 599. Sell full size order at 621. Sl 640.
Short sell aapl at 100 and 104.5. Sl 108
FrontPorchAg
Amazon goes brick and mortar? What the wut?
Duncan Idaho
There was a rumor spreading around that they were going to buy radio shack and use them for showrooms/local pickup spots/prime now equivalents

Made a lot of sense to me
BT1395
oldarmy1
AG
Why would anyone be buying to hold right now?
FriscoKid
AG
Amazon was a game changer in the way we buy crap. My guess is that someone will do it better and make a profit in the next few years. They have the bad luck of being first.
jh0400
AG
Based on yesterday's release AWS is worth $80-100B on it's own. The total business generates cash, and it is a profitable business ex SBC. I wouldn't let the lack of GAAP earnings influence your opinion on this one too much.
BT1395
AG
quote:
Amazon was a game changer in the way we buy crap. My guess is that someone will do it better and make a profit in the next few years. They have the bad luck of being first.

Ummmm....AMZN is profitable.
SlackerAg
AG
Profitable, economies-of-scale & innovating. Sounds like a moat to me. Who's gonna knock them off their perch?

It's odd that Warren Buffett bought IBM. Managed computing services are getting creamed by cloud services...AMZN led the way with AWS.

So in addition to changing the way products are sold, they're enabling other business too. The real question is really their valuation.
SmoothRuckus
AG
quote:

I wont be buying AMZN, but I am willing to make a substantial bet that you are wrong.
jh0400
AG
I don't think you could replicate AMZN's business, including acquiring customers, in a few years if someone gave you the $200B that the market says the retail business is worth. If the 300MM active customers stat I saw is correct, you could spend the entire $200B just acquiring a customer base.
FriscoKid
AG
I didn't realize that they finally posted a profit as of last year.
Duncan Idaho
It is clear that you don't understand that amazons low/lack of profit is a choice.

If they decided they wanted to be an ecommerce only site and not amazon, they would be very profitable. But they have much bigger dreams and a much longer horizon than than that.

Ragoo
AG
from the end of 2015 highs AMZN has given back 30%, what gives?
Post removed:
by user
oldarmy1
AG
Major support just above 400 on AMZN. Falling knife indeed.
BT1395
AG
quote:
As with most young businesses, their value is the potential future value. In AMZN's case, their AWS business is exploding and should be valued at ~$200/share in '17. Tack on another ~$600 or so for the retail business and you've got a stock that could be justified at ~$800 in a year or two at 2.4x Sales.

Still a bit pricey, but you're buying potential that's actually not that far out of whack with mature companies. In this case, I think it's relatively obvious that the potential is off the charts. I'm buying more at these prices.

Obliterated earnings today even with increased spend on strategy build outs. Start the march to $800...
Vernada
AG
In 2006 I bought 29 shares for 995.

Sad face because I invested another $14k or so at the same time in other stocks.
The Pilot
AG
crossed over 700
JoeOlson
AG
AMZ is a market leader in eCommerce, Entertainment, Consumer Electronics and now in Enterprise Services w/ AWS ... tough to imagine someone replacing that.
Harkrider 93
AG
quote:
Major support just above 400 on AMZN. Falling knife indeed.
real question - I know you are different than most when it comes to trading.

If I followed your advice, I would have missed the low in Feb because it never crossed 450. Some traders would say the rally (March-April) was fake and the real downside is coming. Do you redraw or relook at the new trading pattern and go from there?

Basically, do you really care about the run up run down or is it mostly the support and ceiling?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.