Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Jersey Mikes sub franchise

36,063 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by TennAg
Tatem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are in the process of being approved for a Jersey Mike's Sub Franchise. Does anyone own one or a Jimmy Johns? I was wondering what the yearly net profit for the owner is (generally speaking)? I understand it will vary depending on location and several other factors. I also know that Jimmy Johns says $285,158 Average Net Profit but I didn't know how true this is.
Thanks...
Mateo84
AG
I have no idea, but I love both of those
Furlock Bones
AG
Jersey Mike's is the shiz.
FbgTxAg
AG
I would be interested in that information as well.
HouAggie
AG
Where are you opening?
AggieMainland
overrated IMO. Good...but overrated.
Tatem
I'm actually looking outside of Texas
Tatem
here's an email response i got from a current Jersey Mike's owner
I am not sure about Jimmy Johns revenue, with delivery their average store gross sales might be significantly higher than Jersey Mike's. the average Jersey Mike's sales revenue is $625,000......JMFS will quote you 20%, I have 3 stores all above average sales that range in EBITDA from 11% - 22%. Hope that helps good luck.
EMY92
AG
I sold franchises in the past.

Get hold of the uniform franchise offering circular, it will have a list of all franchisees from the start of the year. Call many of them, ask questions, most have gone through what you are going through and will be happy to answer questions. The UFOC will also have a list of franchisees who left the system in the previous year, try to call some of them as well, find out why they left.
Tatem
EMY92- In your opionion, is owning a franchise a good idea?
EMY92
AG
It can be, but it depends on the franchise and the person looking to own one.

When evaluating a franchise, make sure they are offering more than a name. They need to have solid business systems in place. Just because a company has franchised doesn't mean that it is a good company with a good set of transferrable systems and support.

Then, you have to examine yourself. Are you willing to follow the franchise's systems, or do you prefer to do things your own way? I've seen many franchisees struggle after buying the franchise, but wanting to do everything their way. Many were able to turn things around once getting on board with the system. That's not to say that the franchisees aren't able to improve upon the existing systems, they can and do.

Finally, the biggest reason for failure that I've seen is lack of capital. The UFOC will give a budget of what you'll need, but they may not be enough. It's much more difficult to start a successful franchise one a shoe-string budget.

Again, I mentioned talking to franchisees in my previous post, things like start-up costs and available capital are great things to discuss with them. Some may not be willing to discuss it with you, but many will be...they've been in your shoes and are often willing to tell you far more than most people would be comfortable telling a stranger.
Tatem
thank you. I have talked to several owners and the company itself. They have a solid business plan and offer a lot of support. I've never done anything like this before so I'm just doing my research
VegasAg98
AG
Take the time to read and analyze all of the documents closely. Lots of issues addressed in the docs. One issue to think about is what your exit strategy might be and how the docs address that.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Jersey Mike's
Aggie09Derek
AG
Jersey Mike's
91AggieLawyer
AG
Have you thought about opening your own independent sub shop? There are, of course, many benefits with franchising (name, support, etc.), but there are also drawbacks over and above the fees. You likely lose potential customers that had a bad experience at other franchise stores, or just don't like the product in general. I don't like Subway, for example, and don't go to any store.

We had a local sub shop where I live for a long time. It was a mom and pop operation in an OK (not great) location and stayed open for years, then was sold and quickly went out of business. Their product was light years ahead of any chain out there. They used better ingredients and could change their menu in a pinch if they kept getting requests for something different.

Yes, its much less turnkey to go independent, but there are restaurant consultants all over the place that can be helpful. A coupon ad campaign to local businesses and area homes could be your marketing plan -- few go out of their way for sub sandwiches. Like anything else, location is your most important asset and you can be forced into a place that isn't the best if you go with a franchise.

I would not jump into this thing without 6-8 months of solid marketing research about ANY sub shop in your area. There's a Jersey Mikes in a location where a Lenny's failed near me. The Lenny's changed their business hours (closing early), then closed for good. Who knows if it was improperly managed, didn't have sufficient capital, or what the issue was. However, I wouldn't feel real good about going into the same spot where another business that's the same as I am in previously failed. At least, I would want to know what happened. So you need to go to the local stores and see who was in the place you're going into and what issues, if any, they had.

I think I've eaten at JM a time or two. In my opinion, what is really needed is something different than the Lenny's, Jimmie Johns, Subway, and even Jersey Mike's. Not that these are bad places, but when the chain makes a change and forces all franchisees to change, you piss off customers (I won't go to JJ for that reason). I'd kill for a local mom and pop sub shop that used fresh, locally baked bread, good ingredients, and would make a sandwich like the customer wants instead of like the chain wants.

One more thing: if you aren't planning on being there most of the time, don't bother. A small restaurant franchise isn't an investment; its a job. Now you may make a lot of money at that job, and you may later have the ability to expand locations and back off a little from the day to day running of the store after its established, but to start, plan on 80+ hour weeks.

Sorry for the length. Take or leave any of this, but I've counseled small business and litigated conflicts for a long time.
ORAggieFan
As someone with one near me and I occasionally go to, I'd be worried long-term with their prices. He costs me $9 for a regular sub and chips and that is high compared to competition that is as good if not better elsewhere. As mentioned, it's all about location and really that is the only reason I occasionally go, the prices are just brutally high, even for a solid product.
VegasAg98
AG
91AggieLawyer with the solid post!

I'm not anti-franchise. I represent both franchisors and franchisees.

The thing that I see most often is franchisees signing up for franchises without fully understanding the actual deal terms - obligations they never knew they had like remodeling every 5 years, contributions to advertising pools with no clear language on what they get out of it and most frequently, penalties for terminating the business and restrictions on sale or transfer.

Can't stress it enough....do your due diligence in every regard!
FbgTxAg
AG
If you want a guaranteed money-maker, my restaurant is for sale.

Lots of work and lots of headaches though.
TennAg
agreed about the prices. pretty much $10 for a regular meatball sub combo?
Aggie09Derek
AG
People don't go to Jersey Mike's for the meatball - there is your problem.
TennAg
I've had most of their sandwiches. They're all good but their pricing is getting pretty proud for my tastes.
BoDog
AG
I call BS that an owner of JM's is netting 285k off 625k gross.

[This message has been edited by BoDog (edited 3/21/2013 7:30p).]
HouAggie
AG
quote:
Jimmy Johns says $285,158 Average Net Profit

quote:
average Jersey Mike's sales revenue is $625,000
TennAg
that's still WAY high on the net. maybe if its family-run and they're providing most the management and good chunk of the labor at no cost.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Is that like saying you can make sandwiches 12 hours a day 6 days a week and make $250k?
AFarmer95
AG

[This message has been edited by AFarmer95 (edited 11/12/2013 7:05p).]
TennAg
that's very true, they are about the highest maintenance investment you can make and you're rewarded with about the same roi as the stock market if you're lucky.
FbgTxAg
AG
Location.

Location.

Location.
Bocephus
AG
I was told by a guy who had owned over 20 different restaurants in the DFW area that the profit margin on the average restaurant is 2-3 percent. Is that true? Seems to me the only reason to get into the business is if you truly love cooking for others.
FbgTxAg
AG
He is absolutely telling the truth.

"Documented profit," that is.

Restaurants play the tax game just like everyone else. Make it look as unprofitable as possible, on the books.

Is this a shock to you?
TennAg
restaurants are an absolute beating, even when running smoothly. it's what amateur business people with excess cash are always attracted to, me included at one point in time.
FbgTxAg
AG
TennAg, I have one for sale. This one is different!!! (cue Dr. Evil laugh, rubbing hands together, evil, menacing grin)
TennAg
runs itself right? lol
TennAg
Seriously I get a little sad when I walk into a business like this and I can tell it's owned by a couple of retirees. I know they thought it would be a nice, easy way to make a little extra money, have fun spending some time together as they ease into retirement. Then I wonder how fast the business will kill them off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.