Salt Lake City Inversion

2,506 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by UTExan
ryanhnc10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've heard about this phenomenon but would be curious to hear about how bad it is from any Salt Lake residents. How far does inversion stretch down the valley? Did it give you any pause before moving there?
JRizzle
AG
It can be a bit nasty in winter. It's really only if there's a couple of week period which there is no storm that clears the air out. I honestly don't think it's a big deal although I think a lot of people that hate slc use it as an excuse to move or leave. I think there are few more beautiful cities and outdoor opportunities. I love it. You can always get above inversion by going up into mountains and skiing and / or spending day in park city etc. It's not bad.
WhitefishAggie1999
AG
Easy answer live on the other side of the mountains in the ski resort towns. Live in Park City and less than 20 minutes to get to the city. You can be downtown Salt Lake in less time than living in Katy and driving to downtown Houston. Not to mention the drive to salt lake from the mountains is amazing!
RockOn
I really want to move to SLC. Great trail running and peak bagging.
UTExan
January and February can have 2-3 weeks of cold, nasty smoggy inversion, but a cold front will come through which scours out the valley. In advance of cold fronts, we usually get strong south winds that clean things out. Generally, our weather is invigoratingly dry and cool, which is a huge difference from southeast Texas. I don't think I could take a long humid southern summer after our years here. Those inversion days---that's another matter and you might wNt to visit relatives in San Antonio during late January-early February if the inversion sets in. It is just a function of living in a deep valley.
aggiespartan
AG
What can I expect in March? I'll be there for about a week during the first half of the month for a conference.
RockOn
UTExan
aggiespartan said:

What can I expect in March? I'll be there for about a week during the first half of the month for a conference.

First half of March is usually cold---an extension of winter essentially, but weather fronts often keep the valley clean. You can expect anything, from intense cold to unseasonably warm, but our warming trends seem to set up from mid-March onward. Oh, and expect homeless professional panhandlers since our communist city government loves to accommodate them.
aggiespartan
AG
UTExan said:

aggiespartan said:

First half of March is usually cold---an extension of winter essentially, but weather fronts often keep the valley clean. You can expect anything, from intense cold to unseasonably warm, but our warming trends seem to set up from mid-March onward. Oh, and expect homeless professional panhandlers since our communist city government loves to accommodate them.
I was there for the same conference in September 2014. Trust me, your homeless situation is nothing like we have here in Portland. It's really a huge problem here.

When I was in SLC last time it was unseasonably hot. Maybe I'll get the unseasonably cold this time. I wanted to do a little more sightseeing this time, but I guess I'll have to wait to plan that. I'll be getting there either March 7 or 8.
UTExan
You should do okay if you are used to Portland. The homeless have gotten much more aggressive in the past year or so.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.