moving to Mid-Atlantic

1,282 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Out in Left Field
spartan1446
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got a promotion offer from my company to move to the Mid-Atlantic area (VA, PA, DE, or MD) and was wondering if anyone had an suggestions on living there. Worth it? Too expense to raise a family? People are aliens in disguise? Mid-30s with kids and would work from home most of the time. Love the outdoors and was thinking away from the bigger and pricier areas (DC, Baltimore, etc). Any advice appreciated.
SandyHookVA
AG
I can only speak to Virginia, but the answer is depends. Especially if you like the outdoors, look at Richmond. DC area is more expensive and the traffic sucks. Richmond has crappy schools but the traffic's not bad and there's a lot to do and see especially if you like the outdoors. (Google James River Park System) The suburban county schools are ok.

We live in a rural area west of Richmond. Minimal traffic. Excellent school system. The people aren't that weird aside from a tendency to think maroon and burnt orange are complementary colors. Cost of living seems higher than Texas, but not outrageously so. Houses were more expensive when we bought ten years ago compared to suburban Houston, but you save on property taxes and homeowners insurance. Still appears to be the case.

If I had to do it again, I'd wind up in the same area. We're close enough to Richmond (30 minutes) to run into town for anything. In 90 minutes or so, I can be on the Appalachian Trail. Three hours to the beach. DC is 2-3 hours depending on the time of day. One weekend might be canoeing, the next hiking, and mountain biking during the week.

ToddyHill
AG
I would agree with SandyHook. I live in Eastern Tennessee, but often travel up to Virginia for both family and business (primarily the Richmond area). Don't know much about the cost of living, but I really like Charlottesville, which is about an hour west of Richmond. That said, if we ever moved from Tennessee, Virginia would merit serious consideration.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
VA might be cheaper. Central PA is pretty but cold and wet much of the year.

Nicer folks/better schools in PA I think, but that probably varies quite a bit.

Lived in Charlottesville area as a kid. School was full of hippies.

Personally, if you're going to have to go to major cities, I'd look for something w good Amtrak service. Driving is a bit of a nightmare around there during the winter and planes are similarly effected.

The Chesapeake Bay is a really neat body of water though lots of mosquitoes and very hot.
SandyHookVA
AG
quote:

Lived in Charlottesville area as a kid. School was full of hippies.

Personally, if you're going to have to go to major cities, I'd look for something w good Amtrak service. Driving is a bit of a nightmare around there during the winter and planes are similarly effected.

The People's Republic of Charlottesville. If your political inclinations are to the left (way left) of center, that's your destination. The area is gorgeous though.

As far as the driving bit. I don't think we're far enough north that people get enough practice. Have at least one four wheel/all wheel drive vehicle if you live north of 64 or west of 95.
Morpholino
AG
I use to live in MD. I would not recommend it. The taxes are astronomical and the gun laws are borderline criminal. There was a recent study that showed MD as was one of the worst states to live in, which is why thousands of folks leave per year.
Morpholino
AG
I use to also live in Philly growing up. It was dangerous where I lived, and I heard from friends that it has gotten even worse. I can't speak for the rest of PA.

Out of those states you listed, I would go with VA.
Out in Left Field
AG
Frederick, MD is a nice place to live

Granted I don't know much about house prices or schools so that's basically useless.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.