Moving Across the Country - Advice / Tips?

1,396 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dreyOO
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are waiting on an offer for us to relocate to CO Springs. We will be receiving a lump sum relocation amount as part of the package and I would like to get a few ideas on cost and things to consider. We have moved several times across the country, however we have never had to manage a lump sum amount - it has always been basically an all-inclusive deal that the company takes care of. We will need to coordinate the moving company ourselves.

Any moving company suggestions? Other tips / advice? Thanks in advance!
Matsui
AG
Remember the lump sum will be taxed. So if you get $10k for moving you will really get around $7k in cash.

Get quotes from all the major van lines and make sure the quotes are equal in terms of weight loads.
histag10
AG
Had some friends use a company (can't remember the name) that basically allows you so much space in the trailer for x amount. You load and unload.

I know it's cheaper than most, and worked out well for them.

We moved ourselves (never again!). It was a pita, but saved us a ton of money (inlaws helped by hauling a trailer)
62strat
AG
We opted to DIY, mostly.

Rented a Penske 28' truck. It was about $600, WELL in advance. (6-8mos) That price doubled if it was a few weeks in advance. $250 in gas for 1000 mile journey from Houston to Denver.

We packed the whole house into boxes (3/2, 1600 sqft) after having a large garage sale, but paid labor on the front and back end to pack/unpack truck. I think about $250 on each side for 2 guys, 4-5 hours. The truck had an add on for tons of blankets, I think another $40 or so. At the end of the day, we had a bit of damage, nothing major, but my beer fridge got pretty dinged up on the front, couch had some areas on the leather back that were messed up, a small bench got mangled up, and our headboard and dresser got some small dings in the finish. If I could do it again, I'd not do ANY labor on packing day, and strictly watch the guys load the truck. I was busy doing other things and they cut some corners.

I also rented a one way 12x8 trailer to pull on one of our vehicles for odds and ends, and the truck got full. That car was also packed, as was the second car, which had 4 bikes on it. Trailer was like $100 I think.

My mom drove my car up and flew back. I drove the big truck, wife drove her car. So another $250 in gas for our two cars. We stopped at wife's mom's house in Ft Worth to at least break up the trip a bit.

All in, $1700.

That's about as cheap as you can get it unless you do all labor yourself, which knocks off $500.

A moving company will be 4-6X likely, maybe even more if you pay them to pack it all in boxes.

A POD was also an option, especially if you're temp. going to be in an apt or rental house. We were in an apt for 1 year, but it had attached garage (a requirement for this reason), so it was stuffed full of boxes floor to ceiling, plus my aunt had an empty bedroom that was full of chairs, mattresses.. lots of stuff that doesn't stack well.

If you have to move twice, gotta figure in some storage costs.

PlanoAg98
AG
I've done it 4 times.

Dallas --> Vancouver
Vancouver --> Toronto
Toronto --> Seattle
Seattle --> Dallas

My advice: Pay for the company to pack. It's really not that much more in the grand scheme of things. It will save you a lot of stress. Your life is basically normal until move day and then they pack it up and put it on the truck in a matter of hours. This is much better than you packing every night the week prior to the move and looking for things just to realize their already packed. On one of the moves, I accidentally packed my keys and didn't know which box.
ZooGuy
AG
Moved about too many times.

Knoxville area ---> Austin
Austin ---> Ft Worth
Fort Worth ---> Knoxville area

Always drove the truck myself. Paid people to load and unload. Watched them (wife did too). Not had really anything mangled or broken. Sick of moving.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks all for the replies. I think we will at least get packing and loading and who drives a truck will depend on the final relo amount I am given. I've moved enough to appreciate the convenience of one day and it's gone.

Any specific experience with moving companies?
ButtonB
About to do this myself from BCS to GA - this coming week, in fact!

After considering a lot of options, we booked a trailer from U-Pack (probably the same that histag10's friend used) . You get up to 3 days on either end to pack and unpack, you pay by the cubic foot, and they pick up and deliver door to door. We've gotten rid of a ton of stuff, so it will be a wash between this and driving a rental truck, considering gas and fees.

I also hired some guys from Bellhops to come for an hour to help load in the heavier furniture we're bringing, then we'll just fill in the boxes. We're planning to hire similar help on the other end.

I'll let you know how it goes!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Actually talked to DD and feel good about the quote I got from him. Thanks again all for the input, just waiting for the final offer Ts and CS.

Are relo sums just taxes like ordinary income or do they get taxed higher?
Matsui
AG
In cases I have been in like ordinary income.
dreyOO
We moved from Houston to Denver in Oct. Allied was the best option and them packing was definitely the way to go. We underestimated just how big a PITA it is...let the pros do it.

Try to enjoy the drive up. We had fun checking out Palo Duro Canyon on the way up.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
DreyOO... What was the cost for them to pack and move you? I'm currently looking at options from DFW to Indy and just them moving without packing us is around 5K from National Van Lines.
uneedastraw
I moved from Dallas to the SoCal area a year ago. Full pack was a little less than $7k. It's priced by cube and I don't remember what the cost per cube was. We came close to filling up the truck.
dreyOO
quote:
DreyOO... What was the cost for them to pack and move you? I'm currently looking at options from DFW to Indy and just them moving without packing us is around 5K from National Van Lines.
All in, it was like 6-7k. We purged a ton, so I don't have the weightage exactly. I'll check my files tonight.
Matsui
AG
Allied for me was $1500 to pack a 3/2 house (2200 sq ft). It was about 11000 lbs. all included boxes packing etc. not 1 thing broken.
dreyOO
Whoops, I was wrong. Only $4500 for 7500 lbs.

And apparently, they didn't pack for us other than the bed, armoire, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.