Bismarck, ND

2,809 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by gumby579
gumby579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a job offer for a transfer up north. I went up last week for a day to get a feel for the job but didn't get to see too much of the city. Felt a lot like B/CS. Anyone up there or have any opinions on the area?
histag10
AG
What do you want to know? I live smack dab in the middle between Bismarck and Billings, so I shop in both frequently.

I like Bismarck. It does have a college, but doesn't have a "college-town" vibe. It's roughly the size of bcs I believe.

And the best part- it's only a few hours from South Dakota!
gumby579
AG
I liked the vibe that I got from the area. It was quite a change in weather but other than that it felt just like being home in B/CS. Are the winters as scary as I have imagined? It just seems like things are far spread out regarding other big cities.
histag10
AG
The winters are cold, but honestly not horrible. Yes, temps get into the negatives, but it's a dry cold, and as long as you have the right layers (I recommend under armour 4.0) it's not bad. Summers are really nice. You will very rarely see 100.

Everything is very spread out. Driving west, the next notable town is ****inson, 1.5 hours away, North to Minot in 1-1.5 hours. But you can get to Fargo in roughly 3 hours. Not a lot of ags in the area. Some at the AF base in Minot, and quite a few in Rapid City, SD (nearest A&M club). If/when oil comes back, more will end up around ****inson and Williston again.
gumby579
AG
Sounds like what I expected. Thanks for the info! Looking forward to some cooler summer weather than Texas!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I was in Bismarck for a day last summer and the family and I are going there this weekend for a get away from Williston. From what I saw last summer the town is pretty nice and it appears quiet.

I'll report back on my thoughts after the weekend.

As far as winters go, I can only speak for this last winter but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Of course, it was probably the mildest winter in recorded history. As histag said, layers are the answer. Buy a good coat, you'll spend some money but it will be worth it. Also, when it is -30 you just stay inside. I liken it to summers in Texas. When it gets hot you go from the car to the house and otherwise stay inside.

gumby579
AG
Good analogy. The people I talked to when I went for interview had mentioned these past two winters being relatively mild. I'm sure that means this one will be rough and my welcoming to the north.
histag10
AG
Yes, these past 2 were easy. I think we only hit negatives for a few days this year, and we mostly hovered around 30. The river didn't freeze until late November, and was flowing again by early march/late Feb

A few years ago it was bad. Really bad, like vehicles not starting bad. I think we had something like 10+ days in negative temps around -20. It was when everyone had a bad winter. That was not normal either.
histag10
AG
Did you make the move?
gumby579
AG
quote:
Did you make the move?
Sure did. Have been up here since the beginning of May. Have been loving the weather and this last week has felt a lot like Texas!
histag10
AG
Tell me about it. The past 2 days have been over 100 here. We were actually in Bismarck this past weekend.

If you get the chance sometime this summer, make the drive out to Medora for the musical.
gumby579
AG
quote:
Tell me about it. The past 2 days have been over 100 here. We were actually in Bismarck this past weekend.

If you get the chance sometime this summer, make the drive out to Medora for the musical.
That's what I've been told. Have the parents coming up in August and thinking about heading out there with them. I went to TR park on a conference tour but we didn't trek into Medora. I hear great things about the musical.
histag10
AG
Its a neat little town. The musical (and town) can be a little spendy though. We went for 4th of July just as a quick day trip and spent WAY more than we wanted to. I think we forked out $50 for 4 beers and a child's meal at a restaurant.

If you ever find yourself west down 94, let me know. There's always cold beer here
gumby579
AG
quote:
Its a neat little town. The musical (and town) can be a little spendy though. We went for 4th of July just as a quick day trip and spent WAY more than we wanted to. I think we forked out $50 for 4 beers and a child's meal at a restaurant.

If you ever find yourself west down 94, let me know. There's always cold beer here
Will do!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.