Moving to DC

2,838 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FrioAg 00
ems_13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags, I just got a job in the DC area that will start in June! I don't really know much about the area, I'll be working around NoVA, so any advice on where to look to live and things to do would be great!

Thanks and Gig'em!
jon gruden is intelligent
We have a DC chapter in the area. I say "we", but I live between there and Baltimore. I have interfaced with both the MD club and the DC club. They're both great groups. Look them up!
BBQ4Me
AG
Good luck! McLean is super nice and super expensive.
To get a 2000sqft home, you're probably starting at $700k.

If that's beyond your budget, study traffic patterns to minimize the commute. For instance, I66 is a painful way to slowly die.

There's some nice places like Merrifield, Falls Church, and Reston.
redcrayon
AG
Traffic is bad. Live as close to work as possible or as close to public transportation as possible.
DuckDown2013
AG
I though Houston traffic was bad....
JSKolache
AG
CIA? Yeah DC traffic blows goats. Virginia side is better tho - and where u mention are some of the nicest neighborhoods around. Shoot north & west from Arlington or Falls Church and you'd be going against traffic.
TauChi21
Tysons Corner is a great area near McLean. I lived in Falls Church and really liked it.
Central Committee
AG
We live in Reston and Like it. Things get more affordable out towards Ashburn. You have to pay a toll to the beltway, but it is easily the best highway in the city. Stay out of areas that are along I-66. Worst highway in the city, and that says a lot.

McLean is great but the starting price in that area is around $1 million now.

If you do not have kids I would recommend an apartment in Arlington or 'old town' Alexandria. If schools are important and like us you cannot afford $30K per year tuition for private schools, Reston and Ashburn are great.
FlyFish95
I'm sorry
Morpholino
AG
Visit the NRA range in Fairfax. Nice indoor range to shoot at. 50 yards.

Go to Georgetown and enjoy places to shop and eat. Movie theater. But mostly go for the kayaking/paddle boarding on the Potomac under the bridge.

Visit all of the Smithisonian museums, which are free.

Visit the DC zoo in DuPont, free also.

Rock Creek park for running and bike trails.

So many cool bars to go to in DC and good restaurants too. Speaking of eating, if you want BBQ, go to either Hill Country in Chinatown or Smoke & Barrel in Adams Morgan. The latter had a good selection of bourbon.

Old town in Alexandria is a neat place, especially down by the water. Cool places to eat.

Verizon Center for a Wizards game or if you are in to hockey. FedEx stadium to laugh at the Redskins. Nationals game for a day of baseball.

I use to wor in DC for 5 years. Despite the politics, I loved the city.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Lived in Orange Hunt part of Springfield for two years and loved it.
FrioAg 00
AG
I've only been here 5 months, but love this part of the country way more than I expected to. Surprisingly "southern" and hospitable people. Very diff from my experiences in NY and NorCal - which were fun but culture shock

FrioAg 00
AG
I do think I'm the only 3/4 ton jacked truck with a trailer hitch and Former Student sticker rolling around downtown in the middle of the day

I like the looks from all the Prius drivers when I parallel park in front of the fancy bars
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.