Moving to Los Angeles...

10,680 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txagman1998
AWP 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hoping to meet some good Ags out there. Let me know, if anybody on this board already lives out there.
Tejas Ag
AG
live in orange county.. love it here
SharkinAg
AG
I'm moving to pomona in July which is around 45 miles east of LA. Hoping to find some Ags
beachfront71
AG
Newport beach here..
Bring it..
SteadicaTm
AG
I met the doc at a cock fight in Pomona.

I'm in the 818.
putu
AG
I'm moving to Palm Springs in June/July. I will be working at the Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort.

Once I get setteled in, I'll post more information on here. I'm happy to offer discounts based on availability. I'm in Fort Worth now and do the same.

Gig Em!
AWP 97
AG
Actually, I'm living in corporate housing in Oxnard. It didn't take long to figure out that living close to Los Angeles doesn't mean that you are close to Los Angeles.
aggie_bryan
AG
Ill be moving there sometime in the Fall. Needing to start looking for jobs out there. The rib just accepted a professorship in the Pasadena area.
SteadicaTm
AG
quote:
I'm moving to Palm Springs in June/July

Hope you are not homophobic.

Picture of Palm Springs:
HollywoodBQ
AG
Make sure you join the local A&M club for the Beach Bonfire (I assume they still do that) in the summer. And meet up with them for game watch parties in the fall.
HBtriplesticks
AG
Orange County here, hopefully we can get some game watching parties going this season.
Philip J Fry
AG
Moving to SoCal in two months. I still cannot fathom how any of you afford it.
SteadicaTm
AG
It's not that bad if you are making decent money.
PlanoAg98
AG
quote:
Hope you are not homophobic.

Or.... hope you are homo.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
It's not that bad if you are making decent money.

I am, but holy cow. My nice big Texas house would be worth 6-7 times it's worth out there and I'm sure as heck am not making 6-7 as much money. Seriously, do most people coop or something out there?

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/16/2014 11:36p).]
HollywoodBQ
AG
Keep in mind, most people in SoCal rent with no hope of ever owning a home.
JimbloFisher
AG
Moving to Irvine in January, coming next weekend to look at apartments
mid90
AG
I'm being flown out to LA for a job interview in a couple of weeks. I've lived in Texas for basically all of my life. How have you other Texas transplants fared?

Job is in El Segundo, right next to LAX. I imagine I would try to live nearby.
Tejas Ag
AG
mid90 - live as close as you can to work in that area... the traffic in LA is atrocious. if you dont believe me, google "the californians" an snl kit... its very real how much people's lives revolve around traffic in LA proper.

im in orange county so its not like that here but you just want to live as close to work as possible and cut down on chances for being stuck in traffic commuting
IrvineAg
AG
Newport Beach here. The game watching parts in Hermosa are fun!
beachfront71
AG
Where in Newport?

Would be good to get some game watching down here.. good friend owns a few bars in area (Malarkys, the District, Pierce street) and would be happy to set us up ..

Never found anyone who wanted to do it.
IrvineAg
AG
Promontory Point. Jamboree and PCH. I'd be in for a game watching party.
aggiedagger
AG
mid90, do i know you? i'm in the same field and i live in hermosa
Philip J Fry
AG
So far, after a month in SoCal, what I've been completely shocked about is the terrible quality of Mexican food down here. Even down to the queso. Do no Mexican restaurants down here serve yellow queso, or is it all just melted Monterey Jack cheese?
dbtexasag05
Philip,

It's not texmex its actual mexican food. What part of texas are you from?
Philip J Fry
AG
Texmex is every bit as Mexican as Calmex is. The only difference is that it's actually enjoyable to eat. I'd be curious to see a study on exactly how Telmex became what it is. Clearly, it's been improved.

For the record. I grew up in Houston and DFW.
dbtexasag05
I think the mexican food in Cali is very similar to west Texas (el paso). I really enjoy the flavors but I think you had to grow up eating it.
Philip J Fry
AG
It's not so much the flavors we don't like, it's the lack of that bothers us. Half the time, the chicken tastes like they've boiled it.

Maybe it's just the ****ty restaurants in the AV, but overall, we've been to very few decent joints in SoCal
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
It's not so much the flavors we don't like, it's the lack of that bothers us. Half the time, the chicken tastes like they've boiled it.

Maybe it's just the ****ty restaurants in the AV, but overall, we've been to very few decent joints in SoCal
Why are you getting chicken at a Mexican restaurant? That's your first problem.

I grew up in the valley of Texas. It's an absolute craphole, but the Mexican food is amazing. I don't think I've ever used the words "tex-mex". I like Mexican good Mexican food, period. I think the Mexican food in Texas, outside of the valley, is pretty overrated. I found several good spots in Houston, but I also found plenty of bad ones.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:

I grew up in the valley of Texas. It's an absolute craphole, but the Mexican food is amazing. I don't think I've ever used the words "tex-mex". I like Mexican good Mexican food, period. I think the Mexican food in Texas, outside of the valley, is pretty overrated. I found several good spots in Houston, but I also found plenty of bad ones.

What else should I be getting? The ground beef with no seasoning?
Nitro Power
Nitro Power
mid90
AG
quote:
mid90, do i know you? i'm in the same field and i live in hermosa
maybe?

I'm AERO Class of 2012 ('14 for my M.S.)
mid90
AG
SBIBCA AG 03
quote:
quote:
quote:

What else should I be getting? The ground beef with no seasoning?

I grew up in deep south tx and have eaten lots of Mexican food. I am now in San Diego and miss the "tex mex" style. Being as close as we are to TJ, the mexican food is going to be fairly authentic mexican. It is different kind of Mexican tho and as you mentioned not even remotely close to what TX offers. Great tasting beef is non existent and forget about beef fajitas or brisket.there are a few "bbq" places here in SD, but they don't stand a chance against the BBQ in TX.it's like going to taco bell for Mexican food. The seafood here is unbelievable. I'll give them that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.