New Zealand

2,240 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by El_Gato
El_Gato
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to New Zealand for Honeymoon in two weeks. We are doing 8 days around Queenstown, ****ord, Wanaka and 5 days around Auckland (mainly staying on Waiheke). We already have some activities planned out, but am happy to take some recommendations from those who have been before for things to do or places to eat. We are both pretty big into outdoor activities and have some hikes planned on the south island. Thanks.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Check this link out: http://www.southernalpsair.co.nz/siberia_experience_flight_walk_jetboat.html

Did this last year and it was awesome. Been to 5 of 7 continents. I'm usually not big on organized day trips got talked into it and this was one of the most memorable and scenic experiences of my life and without a doubt the best day trip I've ever done.

Summary:

They fly you in to a valley in a Cessna and you land on a grass strip. Then the plane takes off and leaves you there on your own. You wade across a cold ass glacier melt river and pick up a trail. Its a 3 hour hike out of the valley where a jet boat comes and picks you up at a designated time and takes you back to civilization.

If you like fly fishing or ultralight fishing there is a spot just upriver from where the jetboat picks you up. I brought along a collapsable POS ultralight rod just for the hell of it. Was throwing a rooster tail inline spinner and fish were tearing it up. Was using 2lb test and failed to land one before the jetboat showed up. One of these days I'm going back with proper gear and going to stay in that valley overnight and fish.

I stayed at a place called RiverRun lodge in Wanaka. Place was awesome.

If you got any more questions let me know.
Kool
AG
Abel Tasman hike is nice if you have time. Take a tour of the Franz Josef glacier by helicopter. Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki is pretty cool, and close by. This may sound strange, and no Aggie jokes please, but one of the neatest things we did was to visit a ranch on sheep shearing day and watch the Australian Shepherds work several hundred sheep using whistles and hand signals. Take lots of rain gear, and don't skimp on the DEET in the fiordlands. Are you going to do the M-i-l-ford Track (Texags thinks I'm suggesting something else if I spell it out directly). It's stunning.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Highly suggest a day in Dunedin and checking out Otago Peninsula. Really coo little Scottish-Kiwi city, and nice beaches and wildlife out on the nearby peninsula. Do one of the cruises on either m I l ford sound or Doubtful Sound. Have fun
El_Gato
AG
Thanks for the replies. We are doing the cruise and kayak in ****ord. We are hiking Roy's Peak, Mariana Lake, and Rob Roy Glacier. Still don't really have anything planned for the couple of days we are in Queenstown. Also, don't have much planned for the two days we are going to be in Auckland.
Kool
AG
While in Queenstown, you should definitely take the jet boat ride on the Shotover River. You can also river raft it. We did a package that had a helicopter ride, river rafting, and jet boat ride all on the same day. Great fun. Just hiking or taking the gondola up above town and seeing the lake and views of the city of Queenstown and the Remarkables across the lake is pretty memorable. You will love it.
Most of the native Maori are on the north island. While in Aukland, you might want to check out some native Maori villages. Lots of geysers around the area as well. I always found Lonely Planet guides to be really helpful for foreign travel. Of course, this was before TexAgs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zigzig
We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand last year, and about 4 days at Cardona Hotel south of Wanaka. You should definitely drive down there one evening and have dinner and drinks, outdoor after is very nice and relaxing, lots of people get married here because of beautiful romantic setting.

Highly recommend Rob Roy Glacier Hike outside Wanaka. Stunning views, ran into a thousand sheep being moved from one part of ranch to other on drive and that was pretty cool.

I also hiked up and down summit (Ben Lomond) above Queenstown below gondola, Amazing accomplishment for me and spectacular views.

Enjoy trip, we did.
V8Aggie
AG
My wife and I did a road trip of the North island recently. There's not a lot to do in Auckland as it's just a city. Go walk around the docks and enjoy the view.

You will LOVE Waiheke Island. That place is just amazing especially if you enjoy wine. Try to book a winery tour and make sure you go to Mudbrick. That place has the best views of the island and the wine is fantastic. Go to the small town center and grab some ice cream and walk the beaches.

I doubt it's on your itinerary, but Lake Tapoe is absolutely gorgeous.

Not sure if you have the time to make a 3 hour drive to Hobbiton (the Shire from LOTR) but it's definitely worth it.

Also - most of the food sucks. Can't go wrong with fish & chips though.
fire09
AG
Make sure you check out fox glacier. Oh and the food is awesome, seafood and lamb are both readily available and fresh.
El_Gato
AG
Thanks for all of the replies. Very pumped about the trip and definitely looking forward to Waiheke island. Bummed to see that the weather on the south island is not going to be super sunny and we may see some rain. Hope we are still able to do all the hiking we planned on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.