Airbnb, vrbo, etc?

952 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by zip04
zip04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I booked a house with airbnb a month ago for my upcoming trip to Naples, FL (for a triathlon), and today the homeowners canceled our reservations because they want the house that week now. Now, due to the busy week, I am going to be spending a minimum of $300 more for the trip to rent another house. Is there another reputable website for renting a house for a week?

I know $300 isn't bad over a week, but on top of the expenses going into the race and the fact we had already booked something cheaper by getting on early, it is frustrating.
Potcake
AG
We have used vrbo (HomeAway) for domestic and Caribbean rentals and never had a problem. Wife says vrbo owners can't do that. That is total BS that they can do that without any penalty. If it was the other way around I doubt you would be able to just walk away like that.
zip04
AG
I agree. It is ridiculous. Thanks for the feedback on homeaway.
Texas Ag Mom
I have used vrbo for years in & out of the U.S. I have never had a problem but I am very careful who I rent from. I used airbnb this year for the first time for a trip to Italy. I didn't have a problem but as I read the reviews on properties I was considering I noticed that sometimes the owner cancelled. If I saw that comment I immediately moved on to another property. It is very disturbing that airbnb allows this. I have to say I was nervous about my 3 week Italy trip but no one cancelled. I am sorry this happened to you. You might try a local rental agency. If you can't find something like that on Google you could contact the chamber of commerce & they might be able to provide you w/a referral. I am curious- were there reviews for the airbnb property you had reserved?
zip04
AG
It had 1 positive review and that was it. There weren't many options for the area. I found another one on vrbo last night that had 20 positive reviews and booked it, but it is 25 minutes from the triathlon start where as the first one was only 5 (not a big deal obviously, but something I liked about the original one).
WoMD
I stayed at a place recently (don't know if Airbnb or Vrbo, the gf set it up) in Tahoe that flat out said they didn't allow reviews (in their welcome packet in the condo). I didn't know that they could do that, but it was a bit off putting. Especially since we didn't know about that "policy" until we were already there.

And that place required that we cleaned up afterwards, including taking out the trash. Very odd experience. But honestly, most experiences have been very positive.
OasisMan
AG
zip04 said:

I booked a house with airbnb a month ago ... and today the homeowners canceled our reservations because they want the house that week now....
airbnb is all about ratings/reviews, you better give them a bad rating/review
ChoppinDs40
AG
Blast them 1000% on reviews. They'll think twice about doing that again.

Get in touch with vrbo to see what you can do. Maybe they'll get delisted.
zip04
AG
It was on airbnb. It did an auto comment that I can not edit, but it does state the owner cancelled.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.