Rome with infant?

2,352 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by moses1084ever
capital markets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an opportunity to go to Rome for a work trip in a month or so. Thinking about bringing my wife and newborn (under 3 months) child with me.

I understand our pace would be a lot slower and am okay with that. I think ideally my wife and I would love to walk around the city of Rome and explore the sites. Perhaps also take a day trip to Florence/Tuscany.

Has anyone done this before? Am I a crazy person for even thinking of this?

dcbowers
AG
capital markets said:

Am I a crazy person for even thinking of this?

Yes, you are.

You will be busy with work. Your wife will be exhausted caring for a jet lagged baby. The baby won't remember the trip [not to mention, does the baby have (or need) a passport?]. Exception being if you are wealthy and can bring your nanny to care for the baby while you traipsing around Rome.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXTransplant
Is your wife into baby-wearing? Because between the cobblestone streets and the stairs, pushing a stroller is going to be a challenge. Actually, Rome is known as not being very accessible for the disabled and people in wheelchairs, and I would put a baby in a stroller on par with that. Rome is also a pretty big/spread out city, so she would be walking pretty far distances. We stayed near the center of the city (near Piazza Navona) and The Vatican and the Colosseum were both 20-25 minute walks away, on opposite sides of the city. And a car/cab isn't really an option because of the car seat issue (at least I wouldn't want to have to deal with installing/uninstalling a car seat).

Can you leave the baby with family at home and just take your wife (if she is even open to that)?
Always_Right
AG
Yeah, if you can leave your baby with the grandparents, Rome is not baby friendly.
Matsui
AG
no no no
aggiegal99
I agree that Rome would be harder to travel around with a baby than many US cities. However, as a mom, I'd rather be in Rome with a baby than at home with a baby while my husband is in Rome without me.

It would be a very different kind of trip than one without a baby, but lots of people live in Rome who have babies, so it's not like it's impossible.
razor63
AG
We were in Rome a couple of weeks ago, while I did not see many strollers I saw plenty of baby backpacks, so it can be done. Skip the lines with guided tours. Stay in the ancient Rome near the ruins, we rented an airbnb there that was wonderful. It won't be easy but baby's never are.

If it was me I would spend a short time in Rome then rent a car and explore the hill towns of Tuscany and Umbria.
notheranymore
I lose patience quickly. The cobblestone streets and lack of changing stations would make me crazy and miserable. I wouldn't do it.
wangus12
AG
Prepare to be hated by everyone on your flight
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Do it. Don't let your children ruin your life
Vernada
AG
Sounds terrible to me.

Have you talked to your wife about this? It just sounds like a miserable trip for everyone.
Post removed:
by user
62strat
AG
dcbowers said:

capital markets said:

Am I a crazy person for even thinking of this?

Yes, you are.

You will be busy with work. Your wife will be exhausted caring for a jet lagged baby. The baby won't remember the trip [not to mention, does the baby have (or need) a passport?]. Exception being if you are wealthy and can bring your nanny to care for the baby while you traipsing around Rome.

yes everyone needs a passport. Our baby had and used his at 5 months old.
shimmeringshark
AG
3 mos is young, but you and the fam have a month to adjust. Strollers are out. Plan to carry the young one. And the natives love babies. Don't let the naysayers above me dissuade you. Just prepare.
TXCityAggie
AG
I would imagine it might be a little cold as well. Not sure carrying an infant around in that weather is a great idea. Ive never been to Rome in November, but December was very cold, especially at night.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I thought parents who bring infants to Kyle Field in September are irresponsible, this would make them look like parents of the year. No, don't take an infant across the ocean, what if the baby gets sick? Do you want some Italian doc treating her/him? Please go alone.

histag10
AG
is there something wrong with Italian doctors? Its not like its a 3rd world country, i'm sure their doctors are fine
moses1084ever
AG
My wife and I spent 3 weeks in Indonesia with our 10 week old. We did a lots of prep work and it all worked out well.

Go for it. Ya'll may not sleep a lot but that's just part of having a newborn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.